Better faction permission

Do you want to see this suggestion in-game?

• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
    • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    While i was playing with my friends in starmade, i noticed a big problem with the way the current faction system works, the faction permissions are really basic, and they could not protect my ship, and stuff from my friends or just random peoples in the faction.
    Now, i know i am not the first one to come up with this idea, in fact i pretty sure it is something most of the players wanted since the faction system was created: - A better permission options- .
    This thread is all about concepts and ideas of how the system should work.
    If you have any idea, or suggestion feel free to write it in the comments section.

Now back to the concepts, here are some of my basic ideas:

Ranks : There should be the option to create and rename the factions ranks, but also better way of configuring the ranks permissions better, each rank will have special code that will be used in the faction permission block.

Faction permission block : This could be an update for the old block, or can be a new block.
    It can get the rank code, and then by using C & V you could connect the Faction permission block with blocks that the players who have the right rank will have an access to them.

Example : There are 9 chests, 3 need to be used by the most basic rank of the members,
    we will mark them like that: (b),
    5 of them should be used by trusted members, we will mark them like that: (t),
    and 1 chest will be used only by the owner, we will mark it like that: (0)

Here are our chests:

(b)(t)(t)
    (b)(t)(t)
    (b)(t)(o)

There are ranks:
    -basic member- (special rank code: I)
    -trusted member- (special rank code: II)
    -owner- (special rank code: III)

Lets add 3 Faction permission blocks: (they are marked like that [] )

(b)(t)(t) []
    (b)(t)(t) []
    (b)(t)(o) []

Each permission block got the rank code in it:

(b)(t)(t) []
    (b)(t)(t) []
    (b)(t)(o) []

Now Lets connect the chest to the permission blocks:

(b)(t)(t) []
    (b)
    (t)(t) []
    (b)(t)(o) []

Now all the chest are protected from player that don`t have the rank to access them.

What can be connected to the Faction permission block? :
    *Chests
    *The things that set your spawn point (forgot its name)
    *Docking and Turret Docking modules, when they are claimed, they are protecting the ship/turret that is inside, from players who have not enough permissions. (the player can`t enter,fly or modify the ship/turret)
    *Logic blocks
    *Airlocks/Doors & elevator
    *Factory Blocks

Thanks for spending your time on reading this, and sorry if my English is not that great, it is not my main language.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Judging by bugreports in queue it looks like that's the next big feature.

Reaction score
    I'm doing some searches to find information on the new faction rank system and restrictions / permissions and having a difficult time finding updated info since last patch with permissions.

It would be really great if someone well-versed and familiar with the permission blocks and faction ranks would write up a simple beginner's guide to how to set up your faction for multiple ranks and how permission blocks are used. The wiki is not much help here. Thanks!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    So all of the servers I've played on have the same problem: way to many factions, each with only 1 or 2 members.

People don't want to invite others to their faction because of the possibility of them wrecking stuff up. I understand that the faction module lets you restrict access to a ship/station to certain ranks, but that means that the entire station can be accessed by that rank.

I think that the first post has a great idea. Modify the faction permission module to hold a rank, and limit interaction with children according to that rank. This will allow reserved parking/docking, security doors that require rank to access, and storage rooms where you don't have to worry about new members taking the entire horde.

A single station can have multiple levels of restriction, which means that a faction doesn't need to build as many stations to keep stuff secure.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    A thought occurred to me as I worked on a work-around for the current limitations on faction permission. The engine only supports blocks being parented to one object, and there might be a problem with permission blocks getting the ranks from the owning faction - especially if the station changes hands.

A work-around that I am using right now is this:
    1. I build a ship that is part of a building, let's say a storage room with only one set of doors.
    2. I put a faction module on it, and limit it to rank 4.
    3. I dock the ship/storage room onto a station
    4. I put a faction module on the station, and limit it to rank 2
    5. I build the station around the docked ship/storage room so that the only way to access it is through plex doors, and you can't access the ship core at all.

This results in a Rank 2 station with a set of doors and storage room for Rank 4 members.

Here's the problem, though:
    1. Rooms built in this manner have a gap between their blocks and the blocks of the mothership.
    2. A station built in this manner has way too many indicators - one for each docked ship/room. This can be handy as a sort of map if the ships are named 'Rank 4 Storage' or 'Rank 2 dorms' but there is no way to filter out 'building parts' from 'ships.'
    3. If the station changes faction, how does that affect docked entities from the original faction?
    4. Factory blocks can't be placed on the docked ship/room

We can make a system very similar to the OP's idea by making a new type of ship core - maybe called a construction core, or station core. Then we can dock these to a station and have different permissions per section of the station, and a way to filter whether the different station part indicators display in the HUD. It would offer a new type of modular construction, which I think would be attractive to factions and new players.