"Best" General Purpose Turrets?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So, I'm starting to arm my capital ship (mostly for decoration and station defense right now, as the ship hull alone is at most a quarter done).

I've built the first of what I'm calling the backbone turrets. Not the biggest, not the most numerous, but a good middle ground that makes up the main offense/defense capability.

I ended settling on double barreled missile/beam torps with 20% ion, with a checkerboarded cannon/cannon to give it something to do while the torps reload.

That sound good for a general purpose "whatever might come" turret, or do you have suggestions for better?

I'll have smaller cannons, point defense, and a couple of super sized beam turrets for kill shots. Maybe even some stop beams just to hold targets down while the others tear it apart as a sitting duck.

Or is there a better capital weapon arrangement that the experienced big boys have used that isn't immediately obvious I should look at?

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Heavy beam+beam+ion or beam+pulse+ion are always good, theyll knock out the enemy shields fast and make them vulnerable to missiles.
    If your going to use some high powered missiles id suggest also having some heat seekers fire to occupy the enemy anti-missile turrets.
    I find that 9 times out of 10 you'll be dueling an enemy ship at range and thus the only effective weapons for manual fire are long range missiles with your turrets (of various types) dealing most of the damage (good luck manually hitting anything with your ship weapons lol).

Therefore you want most of your weapon systems to be located in your turrets.
    Some tests would really need to be run to find out how effective different turrets are at dealing damage at range.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Heavy beam+beam+ion or beam+pulse+ion are always good, theyll knock out the enemy shields fast and make them vulnerable to missiles.
    If your going to use some high powered missiles id suggest also having some heat seekers fire to occupy the enemy anti-missile turrets.
    I find that 9 times out of 10 you'll be dueling an enemy ship at range and thus the only effective weapons for manual fire are long range missiles with your turrets (of various types) dealing most of the damage (good luck manually hitting anything with your ship weapons lol).

Therefore you want most of your weapon systems to be located in your turrets.
    Some tests would really need to be run to find out how effective different turrets are at dealing damage at range.
    For turrets cannon as the master system is more effective since the accuracy is the same but cannons have the better range.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, this thing is going to turn like a beached whale, so I'm putting all of the meaningful weapons into turrets.

The backbone turrets are each firing a pair of 500k damage shots each. Figured doubling up on the individual missiles per turret would be better than a single mega torp that would be easier for point defense to take down.

The big beam turrets I'm thinking beam/beam/explosive for long range, and the cannon/cannons for short range. And most likely 2 point defense for every offensive turret. Between that and a jammer I'd feel safe from anything with missiles of any kind.

Actually thinking that if I'm going to have dedicated anti-whatever beams, I'd be better off with EMP than ion in order to try and sap ships of enough excess energy that their own shield regens and weapons cripple them.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'd say a missile & cannon hybrid like you're using is pretty good at multirole, especially when using missile/beam since you also get long range capabilities. That's what I use on my titan's medium turrets and in live PvP combat testing it always performed very well!