Bench's Nostalgia Box [Thunderdome, Foundry, Cambot etc]

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    So some people might not realise this but I've been around a lot longer than just since I started doing showcase videos. Unfortunately most of what I had from that time is long gone, servers disappeared as did a fair number of people that were quite active in the community, which is fine I mean after all life has its stages and eventually mine was to come back to this community. One thing that did happen was my hard-drives failing near the end of 2013. What followed was 9 months of toil and money and patience to try and get them recovered. Eventually though they were recovered and among the many personal and work files was my original Starmade install file, a step back in time 10 months ago to an earlier time of Starmade. Needless to say there's quite a bit of nostalgia I found contained within the blueprints and worlds and screenshots. I wish I could get more back, the Foundry station for one. But alas it was part of another time, another place, but I find they still inspire. So welcome to my nostalgia box, I hope you enjoy what's here as it's quite sentimental to me.

Amber Fate
    The very first screenshot I ever did, on a server my brother and I ran just over LAN. I remember the Amber Fate was made out of grey hull not hardened because i built it out of what I gathered from stations etc.

OP Recipes
    It was always a quest to try and find a recipe in a pirate station that was just ridiculous for getting credits. Oh those L5's, you would max out credits like no other.

Factories
    This was the factory room on the first station I ever built, I have no idea what it made but it looked like it did something.

Trying to load the Thunderdome
    The original Thunderdome, back before all the maxDraw optimizations etc

The Original Cambot
    This was the very first screenshot I took of the first Cambot I built, it was the original. Eventually I swapped a few blocks around but when I first built the Cambot back in August 10th 2013 I took this screenshot image for what's now my twitch channel for when we first started dual streaming.

The original victory
    I forget who's ship this was but it was the winner of the first Thunderdome championship or tournament or whatever it was called. This was just after they won, screenshot from Cambot.

Immortalized
    So it was placed in this built area to hold all the champions of all the tournaments.

Bench's Foundry
    The Foundry I built on the Thunderdome server, and it was my first major station build. It had a ridiculous number of hangars that could have its doors controlled from a central control room. This was before logic so the doors actually had a line of plexdoor that you would toggle on and off to control. It ended up having gravity lifts on either side, the original gravity lifts where you would build an upside down ship docked to the station with gravity modules that you would use to travel the opposite way because you couldn't rotate gravity blocks at the time. It was awkward to build to say the least.
    Needless to say I spent months on this station and there was nothing quite like it around, now it is no more, lost in the ether of the interwebs. I miss it.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    you glorious bastard. My own nostalgical pictures only extend to the Ragnarok Galaxy server I play on, and would not hold much relevence for the average, that is one swell station, mindyou!

Reaction score
    • Arrrty Gold
    Fantastic work. even when I was not around to witness it. I can say however, that Bench's work got me into the game (trailer and vids) , so thanks, Bench! :D

Reaction score
    Any one else remember their very first rectangle ship? Or approaching their first planet, amazed by its beauty?

What about the curiosity of finding out what happens when you fly into the sun? Or trying to build the largest ship you could, amazed by the freedom of building with the tools? Making a base, making an on ship garden or trying to make room for al the items dropped by pirates, these are all the moments that got us hooked to Starmade, and these moments remain magical.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I remember getting turret to work the first time; initially, they did not work, or so I thought, I just wasn't close enough, then suddenly, they turned and began to fire at the pirates. it was like a revelation of awesomeness.

Reaction score
    I actually participated in the thunderdome, and while I can't say much for the streamers, (they were assholes through and through). I CAN say that you made some amazing things.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I feel like I'm probably the only one to spend a few weekends rebuilding Bench's Foundry with more wedges...............

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Any one else remember their very first rectangle ship? Or approaching their first planet, amazed by its beauty?

What about the curiosity of finding out what happens when you fly into the sun? Or trying to build the largest ship you could, amazed by the freedom of building with the tools? Making a base, making an on ship garden or trying to make room for al the items dropped by pirates, these are all the moments that got us hooked to Starmade, and these moments remain magical.
    I remember my first salvage ship which was a brick. Then someone told me it sucked. As if I didn't know (It was parked next to a ship that I actually put effort into). but back then there were few people making things as epic as what we get today.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    salvage ships often take on a brick-like aspect simply because it is the most useful shape for doing so, given the short range of the beams there cannot be too much fluff in front of them. Here is a picture of an old salvage ship I made. It is decidedly Box-like.

Reactions: Krazykat
    Reaction score
    salvage ships often take on a brick-like aspect simply because it is the most useful shape for doing so, given the short range of the beams there cannot be too much fluff in front of them. Here is a picture of an old salvage ship I made. It is decidedly Box-like.

Yeah but that has detail, mine was just a literal rectangle with 1 block thick standard hull nicked from a station. It was barren, unglamorous and weak.

And yet to me it was a masterpiece.

(Most of my ships still look like rectangles...but at least have function.)

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Having been around for a lot of those, these pictures took ME on a nostalgic trip haha. Pretty sweet seeing the growth from past to present. Also I'm hoping to restore some of those good times the ThunderDome brought on with a new PvP event on MushroomFleet. You are of course most welcome to come hang out and record. =)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    ahh the good ol' days. where I din't even know how to log onto multiplayer, let alone use symmetry

FlyingDebris

Vaygr loves my warhead bat.
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Councillor Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I remember my very first game, I had built this ship which was a whopping 50 blocks long. Its designation- USS UberShip, my "superbattleship"

I also remember my first ship to use optimization, it was built during the second Vaygr war, and is in fact still in service today. That ship is the DFN Lytra. It has been designated over the past year as-

CA-121

CL-150

FFG-255

FFG-104

FFG-105 (Current)

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I wants a comprehensive guide to all the faction ships in current usage