Beginner At Starmade

Reaction score
    Hi lads
    So I've played Starmade in the past and i didn't think much of it and left it. But recently (Like 2 weeks ago) i noticed it on steam and decided to purchase it.I ended up loving the game and it was a vast improvement from the last time i had played it. But heres the thing. I have no idea where to start.

I don't know what i should be starting to do. going to a secondary build world and make a craft then save the blueprint and work on building it in my main world, or should i just start working on a factory. I don't know were to start. Help anyone?

Cheers
    Mr. Tech

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You could build a factory to craft a shipyard in which you can create ships.
    However I personally usually just build in creative mode and do survival on a multiplayer server.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    if you're not sure, you can join an existing faction - they can provide you with starter ships if their worth their salt. that's probably the best way to get oriented as a new player. you'll have mentors, free basic ships, a factory you can use to multiply your mining profits, etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I've been playing about a month, and I've certainly learned a lot since then. I started out with just a single player survival game. After completing the tutorial, I was kind of in your same boat. While I played, I also searched for a faction to do exactly what MacThule said above. I think the trick is to set a goal for yourself, no matter how small, and go from there.

I figured I need to start out by making a crappy little ship for mining resources from asteroids. I learned about the different resources, where to get them and how every block in an asteroid is useful. I learned how to make blocks with factories, how to manage pre-requisite block creation, and how to link factories back and forth with storage containers (and how to link blocks together at all!)

Then I decided to upgrade my ship. I learned to draw out a design on paper first, how to manage space inside the hull and how to make interiors and exteriors to hide the functional parts of the ship. I also learned how to use rail dockers and how to make a basic logic clock to flash lights on a landing platform.

Since I was on single player, I wanted some feedback, so I posted pictures of my ship on these forums. The folks on this forum inspired me to figure out how to add a jump drive, and I'm still learning how power reactors should be laid out for the highest efficiency.

I used the pictures of my ship to apply to a faction. In playing around on the NFD server, I'm learning little design tweaks from my faction to make my ship look pretty and that the massive ships I see posted on the forums don't dwarf my little salvager as much as I thought they would.

In my case, my goals were to figure out the basics, make a ship I'm proud of, get some feedback on that ship, and join the community. I'm still learning, but I think that may be the case for everyone.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Bench
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    And next week the learning starts all over again. :) That's one of the things I love about this game, it keeps evolving.

Some links you might find useful