before you change the cargo please make it controlable

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    the best part of the cargo system i feel is that a factory produces untill it's storage runs full. and then automatically stops. AWESOME!
    Now if schine ever is going to increase the default capacity please also introduce a storage control module like the rail speed controller with which you could set how much percent of the storage space the factory is going to fill up automatically.

Thanks for considering

Reaction score
    Personally, I link my factories to storage systems for easier linking to a shipyard (I'm not sure if that's still bugged though). In extention to your suggestion, what i'd love is a way to "pull up to x items" when setting up a pull on a storage. That way you can program your storage to always keep 10000 of each armour type handy, and the factories will stop producing when full as well.

Reaction score
    a storage control module like the rail speed controller with which you could set how much percent of the storage space the factory is going to fill up automatically.
    ...yes please, and also in the other direction, a minimum amount that does not get drained.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i agree once you start thinking about it there is tons of stuff to improove on the entiere matter of item storage and automatic usage and such.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Personally, I link my factories to storage systems for easier linking to a shipyard (I'm not sure if that's still bugged though). In extention to your suggestion, what i'd love is a way to "pull up to x items" when setting up a pull on a storage. That way you can program your storage to always keep 10000 of each armour type handy, and the factories will stop producing when full as well.
    Set up a storage with just enough space to hold 100k of each type. Have it pull from wherever, at an even rate for each type. It will automatically stop at that number, and when your factory's storage gets full, it will stop producing. If you can get it to max the cargo spot, you can use logic to shut off/turn on the factory. I always seem to be just under capacity, which doesn't trigger the logic. I suppose multiple feeds could be used in different quantities to achieve a full storage spot, IE one input of 10k, one of 1k, one of 100, and another of 1. It's all in how complicated you want to get. Those are worth implementing directly into the new cargo system itself though, no question about that.

Edit: spelling

Reaction score
    Set up a storage with just enough space to hold 100k of each type. Have it pull from wherever, at an even rate for each type. It will automatically stop at that number, and when your factory's storage gets full, it will stop producing. If you can get it to max the cargo spot, you can use logic to shut off/turn on the factory. I always seem to be just under capacity, which doesn't trigger the logic. I suppose multiple feeds could be used in different quantities to achieve a full storage spot, IE one input of 10k, one of 1k, one of 100, and another of 1. It's all in how complicated you want to get. Those are worth implementing directly into the new cargo system itself though, no question about that.
    Consider the personal storage. Suppose you'd like to have 1000 of each block on hand. While you're placing armour, you're creating room in your storage, which will get filled up by the pulling system. But, chances are that it won't replace the armour you're using, but will add another item to the available room instead.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I believe I recall hearing that they were actually going to simply make a setting for you to tell the factory how much of something to make. As in you tell it to make 1k thrusters, and it will make exactly 1k thrusters and then stop.

Which is a much better and far more useful answer than trying to control storage size for the auto-stop.

Reaction score
    Personally, I'd like NPC to be used for this. Tell the NPC in charge of your factory floor to keep x amount of an item in stock. Higher level means it can take care of more inventories.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Consider the personal storage. Suppose you'd like to have 1000 of each block on hand. While you're placing armour, you're creating room in your storage, which will get filled up by the pulling system. But, chances are that it won't replace the armour you're using, but will add another item to the available room instead.
    Still doable, just have to make a storage for each type. If using with a shipyard, just link to the specific armor or piece you want. Or, pull only the armor you need by swapping to a named inventory with preset pulls to replace exactly what you are using. Like I said, it can be done now, it just takes a lot of space and complicated set-up. And like I also said, suggested changes are also worth implementing to make it even easier. It can be a real hassle to set these things up.

Honestly, I'd never even set up a factory or storage system until a couple days ago. It's pretty easy, and so is the storage and pull system. I'm building a giant station with multiple factories and shipyards so I've had to figure it out. It can all be done now, it's just how big and complicated do you want to make it. A lot of the suggested changes would make it easier to do with a lot less space needed. BTW, what you suggested about the NPCs would be really handy too.

Reactions: Katorone