Beams and other weapon types are ineffective

Reaction score
    Based on what I've been seeing when using them, the new damage beam weapons only seem to 'mine' blocks like the tool you use in Astronaut Mode, except they don't place it in your inventory, they just delete it. So yes, the blue grid thing that surrounds the block appears when shooting it which I find a bit ridiculous. So when a ship is moving, it can't delete the block it hits in time even though I have over a thousand damage beam blocks combined. To me, it's just like a salvage beam except it doesn't harvest blocks. As a result from using these on enormous turrets I built, they cause absolutely no damage to other ships and ONLY effect shielding. Basically, an enemy vessel has to be holding perfectly still for you to even take out just one block. I added the Explosive effect blocks and had almost half a turret's interior filled with them, and yet it still behaves exactly like a salvage beam.

Is there a reason this weapon is set up like this? It's incredibly under powered. Why not have it just damage and destroy the blocks instead of doing the thing where it's trying to mine them like a salvage beam? I've put together thousands of Beam blocks together and I still get the exact same result. The fact it works almost exactly like the salvage beam makes it impossible to even damage other ships and is extremely impractical. I really, really hope this is changed to where it will straight up damage and destroy blocks instead of having the blue grids appear.

Another problem with the new weapon combos I discovered is that rapid fire anti-matter cannons don't damage blocks either, but only seem to effect shields.

Reaction score
    Here's a thought why don't you slave amcs to the beam. Wait what! What is this brand new idea that no one could have ever thought of.:rolleyes:
    (*Sarcasm intended)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Another problem with the new weapon combos I discovered is that rapid fire anti-matter cannons don't damage blocks either, but only seem to effect shields.
    Try using guns that aren't 5 blocks big.

And beams are much better for shield killing, use missiles for real damage.

I also didn't know you could only use beams on asteroids, stations and overheating ships!
    (again, obvious sarcasm.)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I just said in my post I at least used a few thousand damage beam blocks all connected at once, I believe you misread.
    So did you use damage beam blocks, or rapid fire cannons?

You said "rapid-fire anti-matter cannons don't damage blocks"

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    The damage from beams shouldn't be relying on sticking to one block and then ticking. How they work mechanically is that you fire them, they tick a couple of time during their burst, dealing damage to whatever the beam is currently touching, and then start a cool down period before their next burst. If they are reliant on being targeted at only one block for a set amount of time in order to tick, that's a bug, not an intended change.

Your problem with rapid AMCs is likely due to your test AMCs only dealing a tiny amount of damage which hull's armor rounds down to zero. This can be especially apparent when an enemy is armor tanking by using hardened hull supported with a hull hardener system.

If you're on the latest version with an unedited block configuration and still have these issues, feel free to message me and I'll be happy to help.

Reaction score
    The damage from beams shouldn't be relying on sticking to one block and then ticking. How they work mechanically is that you fire them, they tick a couple of time during their burst, dealing damage to whatever the beam is currently touching, and then start a cool down period before their next burst. If they are reliant on being targeted at only one block for a set amount of time in order to tick, that's a bug, not an intended change.

Your problem with rapid AMCs is likely due to your test AMCs only dealing a tiny amount of damage which hull's armor rounds down to zero. This can be especially apparent when an enemy is armor tanking by using hardened hull supported with a hull hardener system.

If you're on the latest version with an unedited block configuration and still have these issues, feel free to message me and I'll be happy to help.
    Well, I believe we might have a bug. As you pointed out, it will do no damage to any blocks if it hits a moving ship/entity, unless the block it's hitting is not moving away. Is the blue grid from your hand held mining tool supposed to appear when damage beams hit a block? Even though it somewhat works, it only takes out one block at a time despite having huge amounts of damage beam blocks all linked together into one huge weapon, I even added plenty of explosive effect blocks to it and still the same results.

Reaction score
    Is the blue grid from your hand held mining tool supposed to appear when damage beams hit a block?
    Yes.
    Even though it somewhat works, it only takes out one block at a time despite having huge amounts of damage beam blocks all linked together into one huge weapon
    Would you expect a plain AMC projectile to take out multiple blocks at once? An AMC slave will increase the beams tick rate, applying less damage to more blocks.