Beam Damage/Sec

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The dps per block is supposed to be 5 for every weapon type. In function I believe this is true (though i have not actually been able to test it the math works out according to the block behavior config). The problem is that on the beam weapon screen there are 3 lines. The first is Damage/tick, the second Tickspeed, and the third is Damage/sec. For a one block beam these will read: Damage/tick-10 Tickspeed-2.0 and Damage/sec-20.0. Tick speed means how many seconds in between each damage calculation so the damage/sec should divide damage/tick by the tickspeed but on the weapon card it multiplies it.

The issue here is that the weapon card is incorrectly displaying dps. The dps reads as if it is 4 times higher than what it actually is. If a player were to just look at that number and assume that it is correct (which is probably what most players do though I cannot speak for everyone) then they will use beams over everything else, as according to the weapons card they are the best.

As far as the actual dps (if you test it by firing disregarding the weapon card), it is correct at 5 dps per block. The damage does in fact only tick every 2 seconds as oppose to twice per second. But the problem remains that players who do not test their weapons and only check the weapon card to see how good/bad their weapons are doing will assume that beams are the most powerful weapon currently in the game.

Last edited:

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I think they shouldn't be worried about the initial beam damage and should start worrying about how low that standard DPS is.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Planr

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Perhaps the tick speed is a fraction or something? like it divides into one instead of one into it. But either way, it's a bug that I didn't think any developer would overlook before the release.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    My issue with beams is that they're too short range for something that is basically focused light, and the penetration factor even with 'punch through' is abysmal. It's like using a really crap salvage beam. It'd make more sense for damage to carry through, like say you have a line of blocks at 500hp each, and the beam is capable of doing 5k a tick, so for each tick, you get 10 blocks destroyed before the effect dissipates. I mean, if they're worried about beams being overpowered, then reduce over all dps, but I'd love a range and penetration increase.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Incap if you do that, then AMC and other longer range weapons will be ineffective. Even if it increases range and reduces damage, it's still a long range beam of light that you just wave at your opponent to kill them. You wouldn't have to lead the target like with AMC and D1000 missiles.

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Incap if you do that, then AMC and other longer range weapons will be ineffective. Even if it increases range and reduces damage, it's still a long range beam of light that you just wave at your opponent to kill them. You wouldn't have to lead the target like with AMC and D1000 missiles.
    I dont think theres very many people who try to lead with d1000 at long range :u
    Whats more, Once in a fight with a Larger ship (battleship or such) I don't expect it taking much effect to Hit with AMCs, which would be able to cause far more Damage, making it the ideal choice no? :u

The only real concern is for Smaller ships like Fighters, since you could pick them off at a distance easily (once turrets work right at least) even with Low damage.

As for the OP, I feel that is a Non-concern really, Mainly because all the weapons do different things. You can argue people would pick the "Most damage" sometimes, but factoring in Range and AoE, I dont think it really matters.

Also, Fellow Sm, I think it goes something like (DpT)*(1second/Tick Speed)=Dps, or at least it should. Might just be a Typo in the weapons screen values? Also, why is this in Suggestions? o -o Sounds like something that should be in Game help/bugs

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    I fail to see your point. You know that the beams damage tick is basically individual shots, right? Calbiri explained this to me himself. They hope to change the visual graphic for the beams so it's firing salvos instead of continuous beams.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I dont think theres very many people who try to lead with d1000 at long range :u
    Whats more, Once in a fight with a Larger ship (battleship or such) I don't expect it taking much effect to Hit with AMCs, which would be able to cause far more Damage, making it the ideal choice no? :u

The only real concern is for Smaller ships like Fighters, since you could pick them off at a distance easily (once turrets work right at least) even with Low damage.

As for the OP, I feel that is a Non-concern really, Mainly because all the weapons do different things. You can argue people would pick the "Most damage" sometimes, but factoring in Range and AoE, I dont think it really matters.

Also, Fellow Sm, I think it goes something like (DpT)*(1second/Tick Speed)=Dps, or at least it should. Might just be a Typo in the weapons screen values? Also, why is this in Suggestions? o -o Sounds like something that should be in Game help/bugs
    Small ships shouldn't be able to be picked off at a distance, in my personal opinion. The new turret inaccuracy is a good thing, it just need some work so you can actually hit things some of the time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!

I did state in the op that the problem is how the weapon screen is calculating the third stat it lists. I am aware that the dps is not actually 20 per block, it just reads like it is. The reason I think this is a problem is also stated in the op. Players will incorrectly assume that beams are the most powerful weapon based on the weapon screen.

As far as why it is in suggestions, at the time of posting this I did not know how to report a bug (on the old website it was easy to find), as I am not a pc gamer. This is about the only game I play on my computer so I did not know about bug.starmade.org. Since posting this I checked the bug reports and found that this had been reported already by MrFurb.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Perhaps the tick speed is a fraction or something? like it divides into one instead of one into it. But either way, it's a bug that I didn't think any developer would overlook before the release.
    Unfortunately they did seem to overlook it. There are many doubts in the community right now that they're gonna fix these issues with damage beams, and unfortunately I have to agree.

Luckily, Comr4de and I are working on a mod just for you guys that fixes these issues. We'd like to find a healthy balance between the thrilling intensity of AMCs before the update while eliminating the OP power that weapons had then and finding a way to appeal to those dissatisfied with the current weapon balances. Be sure to tell us what you think here: http://starmadedock.net/threads/comr4des-better-balance-mod.1373/#post-20277

Reaction score
    Beams have had a few additional mechanic added, a new burst timer (during which the ticks of damage occur) and a cooldown timer (as well as an initial impact setting) these allow for far more customization in how they opperate, I hope you have lots of fun with the new beams, and these new configs that can be customized for your personal taste of weapon styles.

Reaction score
    In 0.152 the beam stats don't change when systems are combined, haven't had time to try later patches yet.

I think beams should use the same power/block as cannons, but have greater range and less damage, considering they are lasers and hitscan.

Fellow Starmadian

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2

^ Love your avatar Planr. To bad any issues with the game can't be fixed with a 5 letter passcode like in the show :D
    I also love your weapon balance mod project!

Reactions: Planr