Beam and Cannon Visibility Through Glass/Crystal

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    If Mojang can fix the issues with OpenGL transparency in their game, I think Schema can do it here.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As someone who enjoys RP, it's just really annoying. But I see your point, and I withdraw my argument.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'd rather see that time put into something like re-writing explosion code to make the explosive effect work, fixing the slow movement speed of rails, fixing the AI (currently stands for Artificial Idiocy), working toward the next big update, fixing long-range beam raycasting, or telling me whether or not my planet idea holds any water and why.

Reactions: Lecic and Ithirahad

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'd rather see that time put into something like re-writing explosion code to make the explosive effect work, fixing the slow movement speed of rails, fixing the AI (currently stands for Artificial Idiocy), working toward the next big update, fixing long-range beam raycasting, or telling me whether or not my planet idea holds any water and why.
    Yup, IE "Make the game functional". :)

Reaction score
    If Mojang can fix the issues with OpenGL transparency in their game, I think Schema can do it here.
    ...How much money does Mojang have? How many developers does Mojang have? I could be wrong, but I don't think working on StarMade is Schema's primary job. Meaning he can only work on it in his free time. Meaning development is...slow. Understandably so. Mojang employees can spend their entire day working on Minecraft, but Schema can spend his coffee break working on it. Keep in mind he's still one guy.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...How much money does Mojang have? How many developers does Mojang have? I could be wrong, but I don't think working on StarMade is Schema's primary job. Meaning he can only work on it in his free time. Meaning development is...slow. Understandably so. Mojang employees can spend their entire day working on Minecraft, but Schema can spend his coffee break working on it. Keep in mind he's still one guy.
    Mojang... at the time that they fixed it? About three developers working on MC, if memory serves, maybe less... And Schema apparently works on StarMade for like 10 hours a day, so no. The issue here is priority, not capability.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Keep in mind that they fixed this when there were only a few devs working on it. It was before Mojang was bought by Microsoft.

In fact, I'd say that with the two new devs Schema picked up, they could probably fix it in about the same time.

Of course, we're in alpha. This kind of stuff doesn't really need to be fixed right now. This is something that should be fixed in beta.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    In the mean time, as a work around... you could use open blast doors instead. maybe just on block high so you don't accidentally walk through it. Even with the blast doors open they still have the same armor as advance armor, I believe.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    In the mean time, as a work around... you could use open blast doors instead. maybe just on block high so you don't accidentally walk through it. Even with the blast doors open they still have the same armor as advance armor, I believe.
    Missiles can fly through open blast doors. Also, I don't think we want our bridges to look like they're just open to the vacuum of space.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Practical input:

This StackOverflow thread discusses the issue:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4683030/issue-with-transparent-texture-on-3d-primitive-xna-4-0

It sounds like the technical solution is to use two rendering passes:
    1. All opaque blocks and effects (lasers, players, etc.) as normal, excluding glass, crystal, and anything else with any level of alpha/transparency.
    2. Set "DepthBufferWriteEnable to false" and render the alpha-enabled blocks from back to front. (I think that means far to near?)

One might even want to separate the rendering pipeline into three passes:
    1. Opaque blocks
    2. Effects like lasers, so you can have semi-transparent laser effects.
    3. Other semi-transparent blocks

Reactions: Ithirahad

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    it will most likely get fixed when the game hits beta. alpha is for implementing core game features while beta is for fine tuning and optimization.

Reaction score
    *retracting everything I mentioned about Mojang* I thought this was related to the color issue with Minecraft, where colored glass wasn't really an option due to... hell, idk.