Battlestar

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hey guys, this is my second build in Starmade that I've been tinkering with.

It isn't quite life size, I would guess maybe 3/4, because doing a life size version like that one in Minecraft is just beyond what I can do by myself. I tried to keep it in scale though. The curves are giving me trouble because even though it isn't a replica of Galactica exactly, I don't want a blocky/triangular battlestar. Once I have the main hull done, I will add ribbing, armor plates, turrets, etc.

My hope is to find a server that is powerful enough to host this size ship and a good group willing to either help me gather the resources or gift me the money to spawn it so we can use it for a faction.

Let me know what you think, any feedback is welcome. I'll try to add more screenshots as I go.

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ya something had been screwed up with my game, because AI just flew around instead of attacking, and I could not get a few blocks such as power tanks. I updated and suddenly everything works, including the mass of mobs firing missiles at my defensless frame. I added some shielding after that just in case but actually I\'m going to leave it for the final version to look like battle damage.

Going to try to finish enclosing the main hull today or tomorrow.

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Not too much yet. I\'ve filled up maybe 1/5 of the nose section with shields. I\'ve heard shields are underpowered though so how much shielding do you think I need for a ship this size? The whole main hull will be power I imagine so I\'ll just keep adding shields till I run out of room. I want this thing to be a beast. I\'ve already got some cannons running the length of the ship and there will be almost 30 main turrets similar to the one in the first screenshot(but without the improvised power) plus many dozens of smaller ones, and of course big missile tubes just forward of the insignia circle.

I\'m pretty happy with the curve on the side of the ship. I know it isn\'t quite accurate but I can add details later when I start doing ribbing. So far the proportions are working out well, but I am dreading the engines because I am not sure how I will make them look right.

Reaction score
    Later do you want to help with the creation of the 1:1 scale

-H

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Great! Your Battlestar can go up against my Basestar! Except my Basestar is a space station and invulnerable.....

http://star-made.org/content/basestar

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    So I\'ve started adding ribbing and armor plating. I know it doesn\'t look great here but I still have to smooth it out and make it look patchy. I\'ve heard armor doesn\'t count for much right now in this game but if it ever does by god this will be a beast. See I figure shields should block cannons and armor should block missiles.

Anyway, still have to add the other hanger, the engines, and the lower \'jaw\' on the front of the ship. Then it\'s just a matter of filling it with goodies and covering it with turrets.

Also made a viper. It handles more like the Blackbird so a bit overpowered and large probably but this was how large it needed to be for it to look decent imo. Going to make room for launch tubes that fit this.

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Figured people have probably done far better ones. Two things I need to do first. 1) Add some color, the \'racing stripes\'. 2)Tweak the modules. Right now it has so much energy it\'s very wasteful. I want to fit some more shields or something in.

Question: If I turn thrusters in other directions, will that help the manuverability for those directions? Like will it make me strafe faster than I could with just rear facing engines? Right now it is so responsive and fast it\'s almost spastic but I don\'t like redundant blocks.

Thanks for the response! Sorry for large images. Tried to edit them down but forum editing doesn\'t seem to work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Thrusters facing other directions don\'t help strafing they just add more thrust.

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is there a way, in game or through editing the ship blueprint, to change one color block for another? I\'ve been using white as outer armor which looks fine in some light but other times its just a blindingly shiny wall of white that looks ridiculous. If I\'d been thinking I would have used the white for ribbing and grey for armor but at the time in that light it looked better with white.

I\'ve seen something about paint, is that a thing? Or can I alter the values in the ship blueprint? I\'ve done that in other games but not sure how Starmade files work...I will live with it if need be but please help!

*edit* the other solution being a texture pack I suppose, since I don\'t really care about my enemies\' aesthetic opinions as I blow them up.

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Added some prototype turrets, don\'t worry they will look nicer. I think having them fire dumb missiles looks better but of course it does no damage against ships. 4 down, at least 34 to go for the big ones. Gonna do lots of little ones too.

Added armor over most of the existing structure.

Since even at this scale the hanger is too small for more than fighters or shuttles, I\'m thinking that part of the bottom will be a hanger bay for larger ships.

Having a fair amount of trouble flying the thing since I keep bumping into stuff I can\'t see. Really wish the load limit was further.

Reaction score
    It would be great to have the two built together, I\'d love to see them operating together.. :P

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would be interested in doing this. I think in some respects a Mecury class would be easier since it doesn\'t have the distinctive curve of Galactica. Full size would be a nightmare though since I already have trouble seeing the full length of Galactica.

Seems like the Valkyrie would be more practical and the angles are pretty easy.

I\'ve got another project in mind though, which I\'m going to take a break from this to try.