Battlestar Galactica

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    UPDATE 1

Some small progress, much slower than I had planned, but I keep getting distracted.

Current Stats:

Length: 328m (will be longer)

Width: 193m

Height: 67m

Power: N/A

Thrust: N/A

Shields: N/A

Weapons: N/A

Original Post

I've been reading around and sadly noticed quite a few other Galactica Projects. However, unsurprising considering it's an amazing ship! Still a long way off but I thought I'd share what I've done so far.

Plans:

Currently, I screwed up on the head of the ship. Have to remake in the correct color then add the details. Probably saving this for last...

I also messed up the lower half of the head, not sure if it's really worth remaking that... It needs to be more rounded than it is... Still, might just leave it as is.

Finishing the skeleton of the ship, pretty much just the underside and engines are left.

Add all the pretty little details.

The hanger's or the "wings" of the ship are a bit sucked in and it looks weird from the front. Leaving this as is as I've already remade the skeleton 3 times before realizing...

After I have the whole ship done I'll probably release it for everyone to "fill" however they want. Engines, Shields, ect...

I'm hoping to try and stay mostly true to the Show. So, about 20 Anti-Ship cannons (the big guns on the top, currently) 8 Nuclear Silos, probably will be 4 BB's and 4 KB's. and around 512 Flak cannons all over the ship (small clusters of cannons to simulate).

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Very interesting. You went a different route in framing it out than I did, but seems like you got some of the proportions better. Especially the curves on the front of the ship! I just couldn\'t get it to look right. You really found a lot of other battlestars? I\'ve seen one that was going to be 1:1 but isn\'t very far along as far as I can tell, and then a bunch that just mimic the rough shape. I look forward to seeing how this evolves, especially since it may help with mine. Then we can team up to take on the base star that guy is building!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, not a lot of them. about 4 or so including your\'s. The others I saw arn\'t quite at the scale you or I are doing though, so that\'s nice.

I remade the front about 5 times I think, before I finally got it to look how I wanted. It certainly was difficult.

I like the design you have on yours. Reminds me of the original Galactica from 1978.

Not sure what you\'re using for a reference, but I\'m using these two pictures...

http://media.battlestarwiki.org/images/4/4a/BSG_Ortho_Front%2C_Back_%26_Starboard.jpg

http://deziddon.com/media/img/battlestar_galactica_schematic.jpg

It\'d be a lot of fun to take on a sizable Basestar. Though with my current plan I\'d need about 7 other people to man the rest of my guns lol.

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, I am using those as well. I tried for quite a while to get the curve on the front accurate but wasn\'t getting anywhere and wanted to get started on the rest of the ship. I would love to know the numbers/pattern you used for getting both the vertical and horizontal curve because it looks darn good.

Don\'t worry, I won\'t copy your overall design though. After runninginto some issues and your comment about the original Galactica, I\'m thinking I will alter the design to suit my own preferances. Bits of the original but also of the Mercury class. So it will be a hybrid while yours looks to be more authentic.

Will yours have any kind of viper tubes? I had totally forgotten about them so now I\'m fighting to fit them in, but the viper I built may be too big. The tubes also always seemed longer than the hangers are wide? Might go the Valkryie route and have them lengthwise. I wasn\'t going to bother with ribbing but yours looks really good.

Have you seen the 1:1 version in Minecraft? That thing is freakin perfect, but I can\'t imagine how long it would take.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t remember the demensions I used off the top of my head. I\'ll look around and see if I can find the paper I wrote them down on. I guess I could also count the blocks in Starmade, idk. I\'ll get back to you on that.

I do plan on having the Viper Tubes, but they will probably be more for aesthetics, rather than functionality. I don\'t think I could make a decent looking viper for the amount of space I have for the tubes. Unless I make the tubes larger than they are supposed to be, which I\'m afraid might then ruin the look of the hangers.

I did see the minecraft one. It was one of the images that came up when I was looking for references for my ship. I thought it was a picture until I clicked it and got a better look. Amazing is an understatement. Symmetry and build planes are the only reason I even attempted this in Starmade. To do that in Minecraft without those is insane.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Update

Pictures in the first post

Finished the hangers, aside from a few minor details that I\'ll add after the hull is completely done.

Extended the core hull down to where it should be in reguards to the hangers position.

Need to finish the Engines, the underside of the ship, and add small details (like the head of the ship) then it\'ll be done. Shouldn\'t take too long, fingers crossed.

Reaction score
    Is there a trend of building battlestars? I might have to build my own.....

Reaction score
    It would be great if someone could make the Pegasus (a much larger younger model) it would be great also if you had a group of friends operating the ship, it would great to rebuild the CIC rooms and command from them.

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Great progress, though one of the images looks squished a bit. The pylons and ribbing look spot on though.

So when you build a large ship like this with lots of turrets, and spawn it onto a different server, does it keep the turrets? It would be a real pain to have to buy them all seperatly and manuever them to the docking ports...

Are you going to do missile ports on the neck?

JWA

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Interesting, reminds me more of the original. Only things that really bug me are how straight the flight pods are and how small the engines are. Also is the name actually backwards or is that the picture somehow?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    No the names backwards on that side and i got lazy when it came to the engens :/

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    hmm i can see the entire refugee fleet from the series getting made and flying in formation if you did that you would pretty much be god for me bro

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    We wish Slate_gorgon, but he has\'nt been on in a month.

Just remember not to necropost.

Reaction score
    It looks awesome, i am making one of my own. but i am just at the begining. the dimensions will be about the same.