Rejected Basement Universe

Reaction score
    Currently, logic is pretty impractical for use on an actual ship, station, or planet. It takes up too much space to be viable on a structure that is expected to be used in an RP, PvP or PvE scenario.

Here is my suggestion: A block, when activated, "transports" you to a sector where only logic blocks may be placed. This sector and other structures (I.e: Your ship) would be connected via wireless logic or another system.

Essentially, this allows you to fit an infinite amount of computation power into one block. So you could make your titan do the macarena or whatever and have all the hardware be confined into a 1x1x1 space.

IRL creating a space that is effectively its own universe would take stupid amounts of power, but this is Star made so we don't care. Having it require power would be an interesting mechanic.

This wouldn't increase the net amount of lag on a server - there will still be the same amount of logic blocks on the server, but they'll all be in their own sectors.

Reaction score
    The problem is that the game must then load this sector. Far easier just to pack all the logic into one block, as has been suggested before.

Heck, you could even make blocks that contain basic logic circuits (Clocks, various forms of basic manipulation) to save a lot of space.

Reaction score
    I think this would be neat, but only if it adds mass = to the mass of the logic systems used inside of the "Block". Granted with that being so small it might be feasible to reduce the current mass of all logic blocks. This will also need balancing. As more complex logic structures should require more power use.

In short, I'm in favor of the idea with well-planned balancing.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Lol, someone got tired of seeing the same suggestion so they up and decided to make a new tag? Good luck getting it to stymie the tide of reposts.

BTW, love the concept of the op, always have always will. Check my sig for a very thorough discussion on the same topic.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    I guess someome already came up with the idea of compressed logic haha. Ah well.

I should stop posting suggestions

Reactions: Valck
    Reaction score
    I guess someome already came up with the idea of compressed logic haha. Ah well.

I should stop posting suggestions
    No, but maybe start searching instead before posting? And if you don't find at first, take a deep breath, have a cup of tea, and search again with synonyms. Chances are that after what, four years? - there's a(t least one) suggestion thread for every idea anyone can come up with...

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    The problem is that the game must then load this sector. Far easier just to pack all the logic into one block, as has been suggested before.

Heck, you could even make blocks that contain basic logic circuits (Clocks, various forms of basic manipulation) to save a lot of space.
    The logic would be virtually simulated in abstract form and the logic blocks you built would be saved as a set of design data associated with the ship entity file. It would not have to literally load a sector for each logic computer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I think this was rejected 'cause it's useless when you can have one or some blocks with compressed logic in it... ^^

And the "teleport in another dimension / sector" was rejected by devs for planets some time ago. They want a whole and single universe, where you can interact wherever you are (with your system you can't, like you can't do orbital attacks if planets are a different dimension).

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If this suggestion is rejected please do tell me admins could have a command to keep a sector loaded some time in the future! Imagine being able to have a working game of Pong in your frigate without needing the cubic-meter-sized logic blocks filling it up. Instead the admins could have a sector reserved for logic building kept loaded all the time.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You can actually do that with wireless logic...
    But is wireless limited in range? :)

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    sector reserved for logic building kept loaded all the time.
    As an admin, you have no idea how much that idea makes me vomit.

Please. No. Never.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You can actually do that with wireless logic...
    But is wireless limited in range? :)
    It has an infinite range as far as I'm concerned, my problem is that I want to keep the logic loaded without a player being there. :confused:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    It has an infinite range as far as I'm concerned, my problem is that I want to keep the logic loaded without a player being there. :confused:
    /me whacks kiddan on the nose with a newspaper

No. Bad.

Reaction score
    You do realize that in order to use wireless logic, you must still be able to process those logic signals (One block, MINIMUM, per output from your tic-tac-toe computer) on your vessel, you would have to have a lot of logic blocks on your ship itself.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You do realize that in order to use wireless logic, you must still be able to process those logic signals (One block, MINIMUM, per output from your tic-tac-toe computer) on your vessel, you would have to have a lot of logic blocks on your ship itself.
    Oh yea, but only one wireless logic block per light block and user-input button. Don't need to have all the gates and stuff on the ship.

But son, I want my server to actually perform well
    But... I play single-player! :eek: