Barrier bug - can't add more blocks in that direction

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Does anyone else have this weird bug where when you are building a ship and keep adding blocks to it in one direction, suddenly the outer layer (top or the outermost layer) ''blacks out'', as if it was covered up by invisible blocks above and you can't add any more in that direction?

I just got that on my carrier - it's frustrating because now it's a big tub with no lid on and I can't add any mor blocks to the top of the ship to cover it up properly. It also happened on some turrets I was moving around, while adding thrusters, they would eventually hit a length limit and I had to stack thrusters next to one another as opposed to making a simple long line (because I was only moving them temporarily).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have the exact same issue, I am unable to remotely finish my ship due this, yet I can build blocks in a row for hundreds of blocks in the opposite direction, which doesn\'t make any sense, rebuilding 40.000 blocks isn\'t really something that sounds fun at this point.

Reaction score
    If im understanding you issue correctly your encountering Sections that are not being loaded in (a section is a 3d \"chunk\" ala Minecraft, they are 16^3 blocks)

The game sometimes takes awhile before it will load the next \"slice\" or \"wall\" of sections (generally the plane will load up eventually) until these sections load in, you cant modify them (thats why the face of the last placeable block is black, no \"lighting\" parameters are loading in on that face) This seems to vary from ship to ship, and differently between computers (yours, not one in the game)

The general solution adopted by players is when they encounter this, is to build a \"frame\" or just 6 spikes sticking out in each direction, it takes some spam clicking and sometimes deleteing the black faced block a few times, but eventually youll force load the next plane of sections. Once you have reached the fursthest point in a direction you plan to build, simply delete all the blocks except the outermost six points. Now you should be able to build within these points without any load issues occuring.

So for the folks who hate reading, pre-build 6 points around your ship, to pre-load is box-dim and avoid this bug

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    I don\'t get any of this, but this bug won\'t go away, I\'ve waited about an hour, trying to get this block to work, but it won\'t :(

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sorry to necro this thread a bit, but I just recently had this problem, and came to this thread for answers from google. None of the answers on this thread seemed to work for me ( I don\'t think my problem was nessesarily a chunk loading issue, as I could build blocks in this same spaces as long as I was building from another source, such as my space station.) so I decided, if I found an answer, I should post it here, since this was the first place google brought me for this problem.

Ok, this doesn\'t FIX the problem, but if it works for you, it may be a way to get around it. Since I don\'t know what CAUSES the problem though, I can\'t really make sure the problem doesn\'t come back for you though. So all I did, is once my ship started bugging out, is save my unfinished ship exactly like it was into the catalog, named it \"Wtf fail ship blueprint.\" or something to that effect, obviously the name you choose doesn\'t matter. Then I opened the console and typed, \"Give_Credits \"Your name\" \"The exact cost of your vessel after it has been catalogged\" or in my instance \"Give_Credits SlyGallant 269565\" I then repurchased my ship, and gave it a DIFFRENT name than my original vessel (to help avoid the catalog spawning bug. Recently I\'ve been getting sick of renaming my ship though, and blew my old ship apart, so I could give my new ship the same name) and then it seems the new ship from the catalog has had yet to have the same problem. Obviously, your going to want access to administrative rights, if you don\'t want to wind of spending an arm and a leg. If you play on solo play, that\'s easy (google it, or wiki it. My post is getting massive enough as it is.) If you\'re on a server, you could probably just show your admin the ship, and if he isn\'t a total tool, he should help you out. If he\'s not comfortable with throwing credits your way, maybe just have the admin buy your ship for you, and you can use it to blow up your old one in front of him.

Honestly, this isn\'t a \"mind blowing fix\" it\'s pretty common sense that the bug wouldn\'t be contained in the games coding for your ships blueprint, but it took me a few hours before I thought about it, so I thought I\'d save anyone else, as dumb as me from the same issues, lol.