Read by Council Bank Vaults

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Have already been discussions about better banking in the game. But one I don't think we've see before: Make money take up space, and then have a bank block with it's form of cargo to hold the money in.

Just so we can have bank vaults full of money that piles up until we can jump around in it Scrooge McDuck style.

Why go this route? Because if/when we get cargo ships up and running (as in, AI controlled fleets that can haul cargo from your base, sell it at a shop or another faction base, and return with the money) then I'd like to see someone attacking a convoy laden with gold (sorry, credits) get to keep the money in the cargo ship they destroy instead of it either just going poof into thin air, or have it be instantly deposited.

An argument could be made that its the future and that credits are virtual currency, no physical representation, but then why do we lose credits when we die? Why can we move credits around and even drop them like physical items to give to another player?

So lets make credits into blocks, or at least have it require blocks to store your credits in. I would say just use regular storage and cargo, but I really like the visual of building an actual vault room and walking in to see piles and piles of gold as opposed to just normal cargo containers.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    This sounds great, and this can bypass the credit cap, I am all-in for this

Reactions: nightrune

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Well being able to store credits in Storages would be nice too. Also haven't noticed this cap you speak of yet but I'll see if it is there on my end.

In any event there could be a couple new blocks made for this:

Bank Computer: Can be linked to any number of Bank Vaults, also is used to create or delete accounts. The number of accounts that can be made is the same as the number of Bank Vaults slaved to this Bank Computer. Can be set to public or Faction without the need for a permission module. Players not on the owners list of this Bank can only create, delete, or manage their own personal accounts, faction founders and other faction members with the right permissions can create, delete, or manage accounts for their faction as a whole at a given bank, they can't change personal accounts of faction members though. When someone makes an account be it faction or personal a Bank Vault now has their personal or faction signature assigned to it and they can access the account directly from that particular vault.

Bank Vault: Can be linked to any number of Cargo Spaces. Can be used to manage a given account directly but not able to create or delete accounts. Only the account owner be it a faction or a single person can manage their account through this. Also the Bank Owners can manage single accounts through use of the Bank Vaults directly as well. When items that are stored in a vault hit Datatype Max a new stack is made but the Bank Computer reads the total from all stacks no matter how large.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would love to have physical representations of credits. This would solve the credit cap, and make it easier to store money without the need to use a shop as a bank.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would love to have physical representations of credits. This would solve the credit cap, and make it easier to store money without the need to use a shop as a bank.
    Especially after the incident I had the other day where I made the mistake of trying to have a shop and use it as a bank. Turns out I didn't set all of the buy buy prices to 1 and somebody decided to clean out my server's life savings by selling a ton of worthless junk. -_-

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    lol and that's why you set it to faction only if you are going to use it as a bank right now. XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    Have already been discussions about better banking in the game. But one I don't think we've see before: Make money take up space, and then have a bank block with it's form of cargo to hold the money in.

Just so we can have bank vaults full of money that piles up until we can jump around in it Scrooge McDuck style.

Why go this route? Because if/when we get cargo ships up and running (as in, AI controlled fleets that can haul cargo from your base, sell it at a shop or another faction base, and return with the money) then I'd like to see someone attacking a convoy laden with gold (sorry, credits) get to keep the money in the cargo ship they destroy instead of it either just going poof into thin air, or have it be instantly deposited.

An argument could be made that its the future and that credits are virtual currency, no physical representation, but then why do we lose credits when we die? Why can we move credits around and even drop them like physical items to give to another player?

So lets make credits into blocks, or at least have it require blocks to store your credits in. I would say just use regular storage and cargo, but I really like the visual of building an actual vault room and walking in to see piles and piles of gold as opposed to just normal cargo containers.
    I've made a few arguments in favor of a physical block currency in this thread:
    Read by Council - Remove low credit cap

Basically, I agree with everything in the OP. Plus, block-based currency gets around the limit on variable sizes and the hard-coded limit on currency stacks (2.14 billion at the moment). You could store credits in a cargo-like system (but shinier) and have the cargo linked to multiple shops - a single pool of credits for multiple shops.

You could move money using logic, and you have to keep your treasure rooms secured. Trading currency or gifting to a neighbor faction becomes easier than just tossing money into space and having them catch it - they can come pick it up from a designated cargo hold.

And, logically, I think that an intergalactic currency would have to be physical - especially if we are dealing with alien races and alien technology that might not be compatible with bitcoin.

(Aliens are going to be a feature, right? I think I read that once...)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Maybe they can add wallets instead. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    To keep the system simple, I'd tie the system into entity control like storage is now. Because otherwise you have to come up with some convoluted accounting system. This way you can also have homebases/factions wealth combined for making large purchases or exchanges (faction privileges would need some tweaking).
    I guess just making the Vault Block (computer/not module) have an: "insert player profile" for access. Unprofiled vault blocks would be entity access (with entity privilege access rules applying) or by selecting "faction" for the profile.

One of my concerns is: How do you display your current wealth? Especially if the majority of your wealth lies on a station or ship somewhere. Technically you don't have the wealth on you. With the above mentioned profile style you'd know via what you're profiled to and/or by what unprofiled entity you're currently in(maybe a temporary display for that).
    This would give a faction the added benefit of see it's current collective wealth. Both what the faction can spend via it's own coffers or for faction rating by adding the collective wealth of each of it's members for, idk, some purpose. Seeing who has all the credits :)

Another concern I have is: How do you actually transfer those credits smartly? And: At what stage does the transaction actually take place? Even with a display for wealth, what's to stop a player from purchasing things, waiting for the convoy to arrive, and than just moving or replacing the credits else where? Pirate players would be able to lure in trade vessels with Zero lose beyond hostility, and in the case of NPC's you can eventually go peaceful and do it again.
    You wouldn't want to have a large scale trade station, have someone "purchase" a few Hundred Million or Hundred Billion Credits worth of stuff, Your trade fleet go out and it's all lost. At least in the current design you'd be compensated for the products via the instant credit transfer.
    The only Real work around would be to keep the instant transfer: From Profiled Vault to Profiled Vault. But than you lose part of what you were looking for in the first place. But at least you'd still have the interaction of players invading other players ships and snatching they're credits, just not during a trade shop exchange.

There's also some details about entity to entity transfers that would need to hammered out, but the profile approach would solve most of that I think.

=====
    An Aside:
    One thing to consider also is making currency a physical item in inventory. This would allow it be placed in cargo containers and moved around and lost just like way you proposed. Aren't there a gold and silver ingots? (I play a couple different space games, but i couldn't sworn there was). Capping a players Credits down to a few thousand credits would force them to invest into using these items. But would get tedious when converting into actual currency when trading with NPCs. Although adding to the trade interface a place to stash these items temporary until the trade is resolved could be a solution.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    OP sounds plausible, I'd definitely find it useful!

One request though: Plz have physical credit representations be paper/woven/flexible money slab stacks (think cargo space) that you can jump-in and have particles poof in the air! If I become rich enough, I at least want a credit swimming pool. :daverolleyes: