Ballistic Cannons

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I believe Ballistic weapons and Rail Guns, should be added. This is simply because I think the game is very dull without them.There is no reason these would be illogical to add to the game, or the final game. If you would like for me to explain why these would fit in, I would be glad to invite you to a link to tell you why they are capable to be fired in the Vacuum of space. Link: http://www.scifiideas.com/related/scifi-weapons-ballistic/ Copy and paste to URL box above. Please read this articles before you criticize the idea. If you have better websites please tell me below, and I shall edit them in.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Anti-matter has the advantage of carring almost all damage potential in a from that is easy to get to a high velocity (low mass, a lot more energy than uran-fission or hydrogen-fusion)

How many force+recoil do you need?

• How fast projectiles need to be to get the same destructive power as anti-matter?
    • How fast do you have to accellerate the projectile to hit your enemy?
    • Should we let \'Q\' (or \'schema\') change the physic laws for us? :) Do we have a choice to not let them just do it? :)
    • How much recoil do you want with your weapons? Some article (or a linked one about Energy weapons) said, that you could use coilguns almost as Mass-Drivers to accellerate your ship.
    • we could try to get some energy from the recoil back - did someone actually try this?

The device catching the recoil (high velocity differences) would have a recoil itself (lower velocity differences, but more mass) - but how big is the energy we can get from it? Enough to make it viable?
    • Until all recoil is equally distributed over the ship.

Personally, I hope that we can get fun with a recoil->power converter-block below each docking block.

• You may want to make a lot of modules stacking on top of each other just to get power from recoil -> and get weaker-shielded/hitable spots for fighters.

I think it weapons with recoil and inaccuracy should be added with the master-slave system.

Maybe we can use weapons in a low-damage fast-reload configuration as secondary thrusters? It would make it reason-able to use hardened hulls for docking areas, as they have 50 damage resistance :D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This thread makes sense, I want to build a KE-type ship able to shatter shields & destroy enemy ships from an extremely long distance away (more than 2500m, relatively dependent on how big your KE Cannon / Railgun is), iy\'ll be very fun with my sniper type ship ;)

Reaction score
    Ttop suggesting things when you know there is going to be a new weapons system.

The master slave system is whats going to be in the game through release and it doesn\'t include railguns.

Reaction score
    I think it would be preferrable to have some sort of block that accelarates something (like a converyor belt, but not continuous) that is attached to it. You could use it to launch fighters or solid objects with disintegrators.

Pretty much the viper tubes in Battlestar Galactica

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Like one-directional planet-gravity, just pulling a single object? :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Difference between the AntiMatter Cannons, Ballistic Weapons and Rail Guns isn\'t exactly amazingly huge.

Since Anti Matter Cannons are Cannons that fire projectiles, they aren\'t lasers - they are cannons. So they already are ballistic weapons - just the projectile is a form of energy rather than a \'\'kinetic\'\' projectile.

Next we have Rail Guns - Anti Matter cannot collide with regular matter or both are annihilated. So technically, in order to make sense of AM-Cannons, they have to be rail guns to suspend anti matter in space between the rails in such a way so that it doesn\'tcollide with the gun itself.

So technically, AMCs are also rail guns. They aren\'t kinetic rail guns like you probably are thinking of but that would require a much more complicated weapon layout.

How do you plan to implement recoil into a game with no moving parts? Add a force acting opposite to the direction of travel of the projectiles? Then simply slow down your ship every time you shoot?

It does look like OP has skipped a very important news post at the beginning of the year. Weapon system IS being reworked. It will eventually give you the ability to combine different types of weapons together to form new combinations. Sniper cannons, artillery, swarm missiles - anything and everything. There will be a total of 30 weapons in the game by the time thats done.

You need to keep in mind that physics and animations in Star Made, no matter how skilled Schema is, are fairly limited. This isn\'t Space Engineers after all.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Since Anti Matter Cannons are Cannons that fire projectiles, they aren\'t lasers - they are cannons. So they already are ballistic weapons - just the projectile is a form of energy rather than a \'\'kinetic\'\' projectile.

They are cannons, but not completely balistic. They don\'t make curves within gravity, because they are too fast to even be affected.

With huge numbers of AMCs in a grid, the projectile becomes fast enough and you have a low enough reload rate to allow calling them \"anti-particle accellerators\" :P