Read by Council Backwards Camera Piloting

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    So currently we can place camera blocks on a ship backwards and sideways, still allowing us to fire weapons and adjust the throttle. However we cannot rotate the ship in any way while looking out of any camera that isn't facing forwards. Would it be possible to allow rotation while using non-forwards facing cameras and possibly also make acceleration direction dependent on what way the current camera is facing?

P.S: Made a beauty of a ship today, filled with logic and rails. After hours of work I realized I made it backwards by mistake and this would make the mistake ignorable, allowing me to pilot it fine by using a camera on the back.

Reaction score
    Tough luck. Gotta watch that, I've built plenty of fighters backwards. But yeah, camera-based maneuvering would be great.

Place a thruster, or other block that obviously faces forwards, as soon as you start. That'll keep you on target.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Tough luck. Gotta watch that, I've built plenty of fighters backwards. But yeah, camera-based maneuvering would be great.

Place a thruster, or other block that obviously faces forwards, as soon as you start. That'll keep you on target.
    Yea, I've been making this mistake for years now, I should probably either place a thruster or learn to watch the arrow on the top of the screen more often. :S After making this inside a backwards ship I was lead to make this thread ASAP:

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yea, I've been making this mistake for years now
    Ok, I have to ask.
    How did you not learn the first time?
    To make an entire ship without once looking at the screen is actually kinda impressive.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    kek, yeah watched someone in my faction spend 3 days building most of a cruiser before he realised what he had done xD
    Didn't tell him, just let him learn the hard way, bloody nice ship in the end though, convinced him to turn the front into the back etc

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Ok, I have to ask.
    How did you not learn the first time?
    To make an entire ship without once looking at the screen is actually kinda impressive.
    Well, after a whole ton of scrapped logic attempts you tend to forget to check. :P

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I had a need to shift just one section of my Y-Wing build but it had the core in it. Guess what...I could still fix it. The core stayed put while everything else got shifted with copy & paste.

Using the Copy & paste commands you could copy the entire ship. Then rotate your paste 180 degrees and place it in the exact same spot (after deleting the original blocks). So you have deleted everything but the core. Then pasted everything back facing the right way.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I had a need to shift just one section of my Y-Wing build but it had the core in it. Guess what...I could still fix it. The core stayed put while everything else got shifted with copy & paste.

Using the Copy & paste commands you could copy the entire ship. Then rotate your paste 180 degrees and place it in the exact same spot (after deleting the original blocks). So you have deleted everything but the core. Then pasted everything back facing the right way.
    Oh boy, why have I never thought of this? One things though, can you copy/paste the docked entities too? 'Cause my ships tend to have a lot of sliding doors and stuff like that by the time I realise my mistake. :confused:

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    Oh boy, why have I never thought of this? One things though, can you copy/paste the docked entities too?
    There were no docked entities on the section that I shifted so I don't know. Try a small test before you mess with the real ship...then let us know if it worked. :)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You cannot copy and paste docked entities. We do need an option to rotate/move cores as well as the ability to pilot ships from different cameras other than those that face forward.

kiddan

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    You cannot copy and paste docked entities. We do need an option to rotate/move cores as well as the ability to pilot ships from different cameras other than those that face forward.
    Ah, thanks for confirming that! ;) I should be able to handle re-docking entities afer copy/pasting for now. :)