Backing up server

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hello,

Hoping someone might be able to help me out. I have just started a hosted server and wanting to run a backup, daily or weekly I have not decided yet. Looking at the server-database folder it is already over 1.3gb and seemingly still climbing.

Do I always need to back the entire folder up or are there some key things I am required to keep in the event of a server failure.

Thanks for your time.

Ronatobe.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Your hosting company should be keeping backups for you, as a public server with enough people can reach in excess of 50gb for just the database, thats ignoring blueprints, and downloading can take quite a bit of cpu power. Ask them how frequent the backups are, if they dont do backups, I recommend finding a better host

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi therimmer96,

I certainly do not want to be having to backup anywhere near that amount of data. I will contact the company and see if they do indeed make backups for me. If not I will heed your advice and look elsewhere.

Thanks.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Seems they do offer the service of complete backups, for a small additional fee. Spoke with one of their support guys and he created a script for me and added it to my control panel. I can zip the entire server-database folder and back that up, only 70mb somehow.