Background Music

Reaction score
    Add background music as the game is pretty quite unless you're near an explosion or the ship core, also cannon sounds don't work all that well. Background similar to Rodina would be awesome

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    This is one of the oldest suggestions out there, and already being worked on.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Add background music as the game is pretty quite unless you're near an explosion or the ship core, also cannon sounds don't work all that well. Background similar to Rodina would be awesome
    This is something the devs are currently looking into. About a month ago we sent out a call to any artists willing to provide quality music. We are looking through submissions and contacting anyone that needs to be talked to.

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is something the devs are currently looking into. About a month ago we sent out a call to any artists willing to provide quality music. We are looking through submissions and contacting anyone that needs to be talked to.
    how are the submissions? good great or awesome?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There are some pretty amazing ones in there. There are a few very promising entries that we are looking into.
    will there also be a battle background music? or will that be something after normal background music?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    will there also be a battle background music? or will that be something after normal background music?
    There will be lots of different music and noises added for many different situations. I will leave it at that.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How about editable music files? It would be cool if I could, for example, replace the music for various situations with appropriate music from star wars?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    There will be lots of different music and noises added for many different situations. I will leave it at that.
    sounds like a suprise music feature coming at us...... can't wait!

How about editable music files? It would be cool if I could, for example, replace the music for various situations with appropriate music from star wars?
    I think the API would take care of that, once it is done.

Reaction score
    Add background music
    IMO it's a wasted dev effort, as nothing gets as annoying as quick as repetitive elevator background music.

Not everyone likes ethereal "space" ambience, as much as not everyone likes a hard rock soundtrack to their universe. Do you think there is some music style that suits all? I sure don't.
    As I see it, if Schine implement it, folks go "ooh aah" for about a week, and by the end of the month half of them have unchecked the "background music" option.
    I never understood why people always clamour for in-game background music, when all you have to do is put together an MP3 playlist... especially if you're going to replace the in-game music with Star Wars anyway.

Reaction score
    Would be nice to have some more transparency with this honestly, I've made some submissions and then it simply remained silent for a month and a half afterwards, even after I sent some additional mails to check what is going on. It would be fair to at the very least send everyone that has submitted work a confirmation of whether you're interested in their stuff or not, especially since lots of us are busy people as well with schedules that may or may not be influenced by that very response :)

Just saying this ahead, forgive me if I'm talking nonsense or if you guys haven't gotten to the point of contacting people yet.

IMO it's a wasted dev effort, as nothing gets as annoying as quick as repetitive elevator background music.

Not everyone likes ethereal "space" ambience, as much as not everyone likes a hard rock soundtrack to their universe. Do you think there is some music style that suits all? I sure don't.
    As I see it, if Schine implement it, folks go "ooh aah" for about a week, and by the end of the month half of them have unchecked the "background music" option.
    I never understood why people always clamour for in-game background music, when all you have to do is put together an MP3 playlist... especially if you're going to replace the in-game music with Star Wars anyway.
    Honestly this varies a lot per person, some people instantly turn off their game music and listen to their own MP3 playlist, others would rather listen to the game's own soundtrack. Some freaks like me even put game music in their own MP3 playlist. :D

It's a very normal thing for a game to have its own soundtrack though, and by including a soundtrack you can also cover the people that would rather listen to the game's own music than their own playlist, making more people happy like that.

Besides, developers will likely not have too much to do with the creation of the soundtrack, perhaps some feedback and some systems for music playback (which is not hard compared to the rest of the programming work when kept basic), but the rest (and bulk of the work) is going to be done by a composer, which is additional effort from another "discipline" and not wasted effort from the developer.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Luckily for us the devs do not have to put much work towards this feature. That is all on the artists. Alsothere is a demand for music, otherwise this thread would not exist. If it is good music and some people listen to it, then we have added some value to the game for them. Your comment is surprising to be honest, many if not all games nowadays come with a soundtrack.

Just saying this ahead, forgive me if I'm talking nonsense or if you guys haven't gotten to the point of contacting people yet.
    You are right we should have contacted people. At this point I think we have reached out to the people that we are interested in working with. There may be a post about this information soon as I talked to Duke about it recently.

Reaction score
    You are right we should have contacted people. At this point I think we have reached out to the people that we are interested in working with. There may be a post about this information soon as I talked to Duke about it recently.
    Thank you for the information/heads-up, I guess it's time for me to move on then. :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Few people realize how important music is to the feel and style of the game. The very same 'scene' can be given an entirely different feel just by changing the music. Seriously, imagine Darth Vader stepping off the imperial shuttle to this tune. How about the opening scenes from 2001 to this tune.

Sure, go ahead and use your mp3 player, but I'll stick with the stock music.

Reaction score
    some feedback and some systems for music playback (which is not hard compared to the rest of the programming work when kept basic)
    Luckily for us the devs do not have to put much work towards this feature. That is all on the artists. Also there is a demand for music, otherwise this thread would not exist. If it is good music and some people listen to it, then we have added some value to the game for them.
    I guess the audio framework needs some love anyway, so yeah.
    As to the point of "good" music, see my previous post. Even if it is good in the sense of artistically well-made, showplay me the music that everyone agrees is "good"...

Your comment is surprising to be honest, many if not all games nowadays come with a soundtrack.
    A lot of games nowadays are first-person shooters... a lot of games nowadays are "free" to play micropayment... a lot of games nowadays don't have proper QA... I don't think doing something "because everyone" counts as an argument. If I had a choice, the games I'd buy would have no soundtrack, but have the resources put into QA instead.

And the argument "it's not the dev's time" only goes so far, as the money to pay for the artists comes from the same pool as the money that pays for dev time. I concur this doesn't apply in the same way to an indie like Schine as it would to say EA, but still.

[DOUBLEPOST=1440888833,1440888472][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Few people realize how important music is to the feel and style of the game. The very same 'scene' can be given an entirely different feel just by changing the music. Seriously, imagine Darth Vader stepping off the imperial shuttle to this tune. How about the opening scenes from 2001 to this tune.
    Seriously, that's probably part of the problem - the confusion of game background music with movie soundtracks. In game, you don't have the creative choice of John Williams for the Star Wars movie soundtrack, who perfected every scene for who knows how long.

EDIT: Just to clarify, by 'soundtrack' I am specifically referring to 'music'. Of course there should be sounds and ambient noises in game.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    If Schine couldn't support an artist to create music then there wouldn't have been a call for artists to submit their work. Just because we are indie doesn't mean we are scraping by :)

Reactions: aljo and Planr
    Reaction score
    If Schine couldn't support an artist to create music then there wouldn't have been a call for artists to submit their work. Just because we are indie doesn't mean we are scraping by :)
    Schine profits > Mojang profits

Reactions: Criss
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I guess the audio framework needs some love anyway, so yeah.
    As to the point of "good" music, see my previous post. Even if it is good in the sense of artistically well-made, showplay me the music that everyone agrees is "good"...

A lot of games nowadays are first-person shooters... a lot of games nowadays are "free" to play micropayment... a lot of games nowadays don't have proper QA... I don't think doing something "because everyone" counts as an argument. If I had a choice, the games I'd buy would have no soundtrack, but have the resources put into QA instead.

And the argument "it's not the dev's time" only goes so far, as the money to pay for the artists comes from the same pool as the money that pays for dev time. I concur this doesn't apply in the same way to an indie like Schine as it would to say EA, but still.

[DOUBLEPOST=1440888833,1440888472][/DOUBLEPOST]

EDIT: Just to clarify, by 'soundtrack' I am specifically referring to 'music'. Of course there should be sounds and ambient noises in-game.
    so just because all other first-person shooters come with no soundtrack mean that this sandbox game with 1% first-person shooter aspect shouldn't have a soundtrack either? or are you suggesting to make starmade a first-person shooter? and yes, of course the everyone counts argument why the f not! if there is an option to turn off background music, why are you still hating it?! is it that you don't it if people have a good time? or do you just want to get what you want? because there is nothing to lose... not even gamers to lose. being so hateful against soundtracks is just not human there must be more to it... did you have a bad experience with it once? why would you prefer to buy a game without soundtrack? like what the hell m8 just go to menu>options>audio and uncheck music. just know that "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" is a lot better with the soundtrack instead of your rock n'roll or hardcore music. just like "until dawn" will be way scarier without "it's raining tacos" in the background

Reaction score
    so just because all other first-person shooters come with no soundtrack mean that this sandbox game with 1% first-person shooter aspect shouldn't have a soundtrack either? or are you suggesting to make starmade a first-person shooter? and yes, of course the everyone counts argument why the f not! if there is an option to turn off background music, why are you still hating it?! is it that you don't it if people have a good time? or do you just want to get what you want? because there is nothing to lose... not even gamers to lose. being so hateful against soundtracks is just not human there must be more to it... did you have a bad experience with it once? why would you prefer to buy a game without soundtrack? like what the hell m8 just go to menu>options>audio and uncheck music. just know that "Everybody's Gone to the Rapture" is a lot better with the soundtrack instead of your rock n'roll or hardcore music. just like "until dawn" will be way scarier without "it's raining tacos" in the background
    I explained in length why I would prefer a game with no soundtrack, but good quality assurance, over a game with a soundtrack and a lot of bugs, like the way most of the games today are, sadly. If you are hearing hate, I'd suggest you start asking yourself where that is coming from.

I could have posted a simple "Nope, don't like", but instead chose to lay out my arguments, without any "hate". I know a lot of people do want a soundtrack, it's just something I don't understand why.

I'd rather see another coder fixing bugs and implementing features over a soundtrack I'll listen to once at most. Simple as that.

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You know, I bet that there are a number of people who would do a soundtrack for free or nearly free.