Background Music?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wouldn\'t be surprised if they don\'t. Think of how often people turn off the music & play their own radio/list. Maybe a soundpack that people can use themselves?

Reaction score
    is some kind of ambient music, like Mirrors Edge style.

The music in Minecraft is just awful...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If so, I\'d personally pick something neutral that goes quiet whenever other sounds take over. Something... high pitched and orchestral but light enough to ignore except during the quiet moments when you\'re marvelling at the sheer majesty of the cosmos, completely distracted from any care in the world as some joker steals your turret and crashes it into your bridge, detonating everything ever.

Reaction score
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1xcdgUUIw4

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SEypDN90w8&list=PL60CDC75476893C19

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah I am sure it will come in at some point... I agree minecraft music is awful. Its cute at the start, then its just terribad after the harsh reality of the game sets in

Reaction score
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o lol im joking

i ussally watch/listen tv while i play

judas priest, nine inch nails, ministry, crystal method, or indurstrial music like this is pretty good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zu6aQkPm8U

Reaction score
    Hi,

There\'s 2 options: Find something that isn\'t covered by the original author\'s copyright (or buy something that is) and hope that most people (with very different tastes in music) all like it; or don\'t bother and let users have their own choice of music (or listen to TV or whatever) in the background (outside the game). The second option is a lot cheaper and easier, much more flexible, and makes a lot more sense.

Note: Stealing random music off the internet and getting your butt sued for copyright infringement is an extremely bad idea.

Reaction score
    well said Qweesdy I own all i play bt I just buy the song never the albulm unless i like all of it which i ussally don\'t. Deep Purple Space trucking is a good song too. and I a gree i would not bother with music either takes alot of time and or money and I ussally turn off music in the games I play too.

D

Deleted member 301635

Das Boot Soundtrack? It\'s very quiet and orchestral... if you ignore the explosions.

Reaction score
    Ok, I\'ve just thought. Different music for different planets.

Neptune planet: normal areas would have very \'fresh\' sounding music, with glassy/metallic pads. Dark areas (Code for when the light reaches a certain level? like a fade out, not instantanious) should have very cold, still music that gives you the shivers. See Skyrim track in my last post.

Earth Planet: Light areas should have some light, somewhat upbeat music to represent the familiarity people will have with this planet. Dark areas? No idea...

Desert Planet: Deux Ex HR ambient tracks. Slightly asian, but ot so much that it dominates the tune. Detroit ambient for dark areas :p

No ideas for Martian planet, mushroom-y? IDK. I have no ideas for Grape Drank planet either.

Give us some suggestion tracks for inspiration guys!

Reaction score
    It might be easy to not have music, but music can add a lot to the immersion and feel of the game, especially if it is event driven and ambient as discussed.

If you don\'t listen to music in games anyway, you are turning it off or down, am I wrong? Why wouldn\'t you be able to do the same thing in this game? That is a poor argument against it.

Just like any content in the game, such as art etc, there are people who create it and own it and expect to be paid or share it freely. Nobody would add stolen music to this game, that is just dumb.

What percentage of movies or shows have you recently seen that you had any strong feelings either way about the music? If it is done right, it is effective in creating a feeling and mostly goes unnoticed. That is what should be done with this game: ambient sounds not songs.

Reaction score
    Take Zelda and Mario music as an example, recent games in those franchises have had THE BEST soundtracks ever put in a game. Music like that prompts you to turn the music up, not down. I for one love nintendos genius game music because it fits the scene and makes me feel pumped about killing that boss, or finding that lever that solves that puzzle. The work put into that music is astounding. Now I know music like that will never be in the budget of this game, but can\'t a guy dream?

Reaction score
    i like those game scores, but it is repetitive and gets stuck in my head! I would prefer there to not be a melody

Reaction score
    Hi,

It costs between $1000 to $1250 per minute to buy exclusive rights to professionally composed music. Schema might be able to find a good indie artist that will do it a lot cheaper; so lets say it might cost $200 per minute.

So that background music doesn\'t become very repetitive very quickly, you\'d need at least an hour of it. Otherwise everyone is going to turn it off after for first 2 hours of playing the game (even if they did like the music) and it\'d be pointless bothering.

An hour of music at $200 per minute adds up to $12000. If Schema increases the price he\'s charging for the game by $1 and 100 people buy a pre-release each week, then it would take 2.5 years to raise the funds needed to cover the cost of the music.

A much better idea might be to add support for background music to the game\'s client, but provide no music at all with the game itself. For example you could have 2 directories (one for \"peaceful music\" and another for \"hostile music\"), and the game\'s client could randomly select music from these directories (if the directories aren\'t empty) to suit the situation. That way people that actually do want music can use whatever music they like on their computer, and people that always disable all music in all games (like me) don\'t get stuck with higher game price and larger downloads.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Here\'s an alternative idea: have the sounds of the game have their own file in which we can add files of a sound format that\'s easily compressible, and have some mechanic where if a default sound of a certain name plays, you can have file X play at the same time, overriding any other custom sounds until file X finishes.

So, if someone fires an AMC in your vicinity, your \"battle music\" starts, in my case Caramelldansen, then it calms down.

If someone fies a AMC and then a salvage cannon, \"battle music\".

If someone fires a salvage cannon, \"mining music\" in my case 15 Tons.

And so on. So a default sound can be bound to activate a custom song. Does that make sense? That\'s the best solution to the music thing I can imagine.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The idea of a dynamically triggered, player-made playlist in the background would be awesome!

I\'m thinking of all the awesome situations I\'ve been in in game that would have been even cooler if certain music tracks (or playlists) were triggered....

This one time, I was in hanger two of My space station, working on a new fighter, just chillaxin. Music like this would be in the \"everything is normal\" playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpneomNT6CI

Ambient as hell, and at nine minutes long, music like this doesn\'t get as old as fast. But what\'s this? A transmission: HOSTILE FORCES IN AREA, RAIDING PARTY ######. Oh snap! it\'s about 20 seconds until go time! As I bail out of the ship I was working on, and float My way to the other hanger where My gunship rests, Music from the \"Incoming enemies\" playlist kicks in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_AdxJWFUh4

Because let\'s face it, cheese like this is exactly what\'s going through My head in times like this. I get to My gunship, set the weapons computer, and open the hanger plexdoor. As I do that, the first enemy shots hit My property, which triggers the \"Combat\" playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0iDLIx6V_g

Because when I think epic space battles, I think video games and metal. I spend the next few minutes throat-punching pirates. After I\'ve wasted the last of them, and there are no more active hostiles in the area, the \"victory\" playlist triggers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnWARU4eJ9E

Nothing says \"I won\" quite like shaking one\'s beer gut at the twisted wreckage of one\'s enemies.

Of course this is all wishful thinking. A player-edited, event-triggered background music system might be an absolute pain to program. But still, just think of it.

Reaction score
    Even if it\'s not dynamically triggered, some sort of in-game radio that the player coltrols by him-or-herself would still be really convenient. Personally, I\'d like to include my own music and set it up to play by myself! Or maybe some combination of these systems that allows the player to choose. Unfortunately, though, having the game trigger different types of music probably wouldn\'t blend well, so I\'m not sure if people would be as happy with the end product as they might think!