Average Size of Fighters?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    So, ive lately been contemplating building some AI controlled fighters for my carrier thing im working on at the moment, and after asking some peoples on the server im building on, who build much larger ships and thus have no idea! xD I need to know what is either the average size of fighters/bombers, or what size makes a decent one?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    For pvp I would say around 1k mass, idk how many blocks. My Washtenaw is way too big to be a proper fighter, but the micro-fighters I see some people make are verging on pointless.

I guess if you can make a ship that can support a 2,000 block weapon system or more in a small package then you are on your way to making an effective fighter that people would actually want to use.

Bombers and gunships would be anything below corvettes, which I would like to think generally mass in at 3-5k mass, bombers and gunships of that size tend to handle more like torpedo boats and cutters.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    For pvp I would say around 1k mass, idk how many blocks. My Washtenaw is way too big to be a proper fighter, but the micro-fighters I see some people make are verging on pointless.

I guess if you can make a ship that can support a 2,000 block weapon system or more in a small package then you are on your way to making an effective fighter that people would actually want to use.

Bombers and gunships would be anything below corvettes, which I would like to think generally mass in at 3-5k mass, bombers and gunships of that size tend to handle more like torpedo boats and cutters.
    1k mass? that's one hell of a big fighter. At least in my world.

For me and for many other people that try to build Roleplay ships or ships that are in somewhat proper sizes to Dave a fighter would be the size of this thing here, and even that is too big for poor little Dave.
    This ship is 164,1 mass or 1138 blocks.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A fighter is a ship that can deliver a meaningful payload at the smallest manned size, nothing more. if that means you need 1-2k then that's what you build. We left the skies of Earth with its delicate and fragile aero-fighters long ago. Adapt accordingly.

Reaction score
    you will find people here think something that turns at the speed of a snail is a fighter as well, lol

consensus seems to be anywhere between 100 - 1k mass. I can't see anything bigger than that as a fighter due to how they handle, but that doesn't mean you cant go bigger if you want. As far as what size is best? ehhh.. i guess it depends on what they'll be going up against normally, how big your carriers space for them will be, etc. Outside of a bomber or the token heavy fighter 1k is way too big for a carrier-based one IMO, and 5 200 mass ships are better than a single 1k . Like Groovrider said the main thing you want to aim for with a fighter is the damage it can deliver, and even with limited space so long as you have good power systems in place a smaller fighter can do much higher damage than normal with overdrive weapons or specialized ion/piercing weapons, and ultimately

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Well, my carrier is sitting at 480, 36, 151 right now, so im pretty sure i can have quite a few 200-500 mass fighters in it. Thank you all for the information! Ill keep it in mind when i get around to designing them :D

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Starmade, where a fighter can be the size of a sea borne destroyer.

Reactions: GRHayes