Fum

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So... A very minor, but still irritating and puzzling bug.
    I have a habit of taking default avatars and just gimping them into something slightly different. Just to let people know I know how to change an avatar, but I can't be bothered to find anything special.

Anyway, this is the first forum where after I download the default image and upload an identical sized image, the end result is smaller.

Here's an image to show they are in fact the same:
    does not compute.JPG

Both files have identical sizes, the position is identical. The background is transparent. Yet, when I upload my modified one it's much smaller than the default file. How does the avatar system work, can someone explain?

EDIT:
    To add to the confusion, if you go to my profile and compare the profile picture to a person with the default one, the size is identical!
    Compare http://starmadedock.net/members/fum.228773/ with http://starmadedock.net/members/hnitschinsk-mybce-catholic-edu-au.373708/

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I know it might sound trivial, but have you taken file compression into account?
    PNG images tend to have varying compression percentages depending on the settings or programs used.

Fum

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I know it might sound trivial, but have you taken file compression into account?
    PNG images tend to have varying compression percentages depending on the settings or programs used.
    You seem to be missing the point. I'm not saying file size, I'm saying pixels. A 192 by 192 pixel image uploaded and shown in the profile as identical to the default 192 by 192 image is displayed differently when the small circle is added to it next to posts.
    My current avatar is absolutely identical in size to the default one, but compare how small it looks next to someone with the default avatar, which is the same image and the same 192 by 192 size.

Fum

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ah, I'm sorry. Compared the properties and only file size caught eye.
    Just compare the avatar in the two profiles I linked and then compare the avatar size in my posts and in the other user's posts. I only changed the "head" to be below the "body" and did nothing to the image dimensions. Despite that, my posts have a tiny avatar compared to default.

Fum

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Where did you get that image? The default one seems to be styles/starmade/xenforo/avatars/avatar_m.png, which is 96x96.

Edit: Oh, now I get it. The one on the profile page probably is larger (but not upscaled) than the one used in threads.
    Wow. It's even more ridiculous than I expected.
    So I can either have a 96x96 avatar that looks good on posts, or a 192x192 avatar that looks good on the profile. It's impossible to have both because the default avatar is magic and changes depending on where you look at it.

Fum

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is all pretty funny to be honest.
    It's also pretty illogical.

I can either have an avatar that imitates the default one on my profile, or next to my posts, but not both. If it looks identical on the profile, it's too small next to posts. If it's correct next to posts, it's too small on the profile.