Suggestion Auto-convert "issue#\d+" to URIs

Reaction score
    I think it would be very useful if we didn't have to create all those links to tickets on the issue tracker manually. Instead, it would be awesome if the pattern "issue#\d+" would be automatically converted to a link to the respective ticket.
    If the forum doesn't easily allow such modifications and if it therefore would be too much work, an issue BB-tag would be better than nothing. :P

If you wanted to put really much work into that, the link could reveal additional information (like the ticket title) on hover, much like the @highlight system already does.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I don't think many people will understand what you are suggesting as forum control is by the community, whereas the bug tracking is managed by us.

Apart from that, sounds cool.

Reaction score
    I don't think many people will understand what you are suggesting as forum control is by the community, whereas the bug tracking is managed by us.
    I am not sure if I understand your point. It is obvious that this is more a feature for people that are somehow involved in the development process (be it devs, testers, or simply interested users like Sven the Slayer), but I nonetheless believe that the community can benefit as a whole from it.
    It is current practice to post links to the issue tracker in the Game Support section, as well es just pointing out in other discussions that something is being worked on. It is far easier and faster to just write "issue#42" and seeing it converted into a link to ticket 42, than copying the URL (or typing it manually if you know the number by heart) and creating the link. This would also benefit AndyP in his (almost) daily PMs with development updates.

Also, just an example so that everyone can understand what I mean (I was on my phone when I wrote the OP):
    Suppose I write this: "This is being worked on as issue#42."
    The forum software would automatically convert it into this: "This is being worked on as issue#42."

Since doing this by hand for every issue is cumbersome, and since this is something machines can do very easily, I'm hoping for a feature that will make our lives a bit easier. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Oh, yeah, had something like this in mind too, but wasn't sure about possible implementations.

Issue# as trigger like the @ in mentions would be very nice.

For example for writing:
    Code:
    Issue#42
    it should convert to:

Bug #42 - Missing Normals

Involving:
    (Type) (Number) - (Title)
    it may also use:
    (Project) (Type) (Number) - (Title)
    To cover the other tracked projects.

It would be cool to have it append the status (Closed).
    But as this requires dynamic data to be generated on every page-load this may get 'too expensive' and it should be subject to some 'mouse over' function. Showing: Author, title, status, last updated.

But having the link + title is quite far enough of help. =)

- Andy

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    It could be done easily through BB Code, what der_scheme is suggesting. What Andy is suggesting would be far more complicated to implement, and more time consuming.