Auburn's noise

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Out of curiosity, as you seem to be familiar with how the game performs now, what would you go for in regards to a CPU, more cores/threads or a higher clock speed?

Auburn

Game Developer
    Reaction score
    A balance between both is important since the main thread will benefit from a higher clock speed but thread count will help with generation and other threaded work loads.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    A balance between both is important since the main thread will benefit from a higher clock speed but thread count will help with generation and other threaded work loads.
    So in a dual CPU setup, 1 high clocked single core and 1 CPU with as many cores as possible

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Can we count on not-noise generation related resources intensive operations from your side? Like minning, handling planets etc?

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It has been a bit since we've seen work from Auburn.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Hi everyone!
    ... This new library is what I have been integrating with the StarMade engine over the past few weeks and it is what powers the new faster generation of asteroids.
    Thanks to all for welcoming me into the community,
    feel free to ask/suggest/praise, I'll be watching this thread.
    Aha! So you're the guy I can blame for starmade black-screen-of-deathing on my Q6600 laptop. :D
    Old-hardware incompatibility aside, I do praise the RNG-god. Can't wait to see how you handle city/civilization generation.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Man... If only SM planets would load so fast and be so big...
    But yea, take into a count that this video shows single render, while server needs to handle much more than single planet generation.

Last edited:

Auburn

Game Developer
    Reaction score
    You guys all stalking my stuff :P

I have been away and busy for a month or so, but from this coming Wednesday I'll be getting back home and have a relatively free schedule for working on StarMade.

Aha! So you're the guy I can blame for starmade black-screen-of-deathing on my Q6600 laptop. :D
    Old-hardware incompatibility aside, I do praise the RNG-god. Can't wait to see how you handle city/civilization generation.
    Your Q6600 should work again now, there was a bug for a while on 32bit systems causing old CPUs to crash but it should be fixed now. Would actually be great if you could double check it works for me, since I haven't been able to get a tester with the old hardware to confirm the fix I made.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    there was a bug for a while on 32bit systems causing old CPUs to crash but it should be fixed now. Would actually be great if you could double check it works for me, since I haven't been able to get a tester with the old hardware to confirm the fix I made.

I'm very happy to have checked this thread, because I lost all hope that my PC (32-bit OS, 3.1 Ghz dual-core AMD processor) will ever be able to run newer versions of the game again.

But it does! Right after reading what you mentioned up there, I made a separate "StarMade - Latest" folder, and the latest release worked good enough to make me believe that it will be possible to keep updating that copy every time something new is released. Got no startup-crash, about 15 FPS average in easy conditions, and there are still some settings left to be changed for better performance.

So this is like early christmas - so many exciting stuff I wasn't able to try yet :)

Reaction score
    I like the idea of the docecahedron planets, but I feel that they could be executed on a higher level. In truth I think that the future lies with planets without plates or with seamless plates, take that in whatever way you wish.