Atmospheric Ship Damage + Alternate Starting Criteria

Reaction score
    Since your ship can be subject to gravity when it nears a planet it seems to make since that if the planet has an atmosphere the tiles of your ship would begin to take heat damage, and if they are unprotected eventually be destroyed. I imagine making this an option you could toggle on and off in the config would be best, but I think it would be great.

Secondly, I was wondering if it would be possible to allow the starting location to be altered so that you begin on the surface of a planet with minimal tools and then work your way up to space travel.

Thanks,
    Kintanon

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Secondly, I was wondering if it would be possible to allow the starting location to be altered so that you begin on the surface of a planet with minimal tools and then work your way up to space travel.
    If you go into Server.cfg, I'm pretty sure there is options to change the spawn sector, as well as adjust the point locations within the sector.

planet has an atmosphere the tiles of your ship would begin to take heat damage, and if they are unprotected eventually be destroyed
    That only applies to a ship trying to move at higher speeds through the atmosphere, just taking damage for being in atmosphere (Which is small) would be annoying for those that make space elevators or docked-ship styled building blocks (Like embassies). Just a mild concern on my part.

Reaction score
    If you go into Server.cfg, I'm pretty sure there is options to change the spawn sector, as well as adjust the point locations within the sector.

That only applies to a ship trying to move at higher speeds through the atmosphere, just taking damage for being in atmosphere (Which is small) would be annoying for those that make space elevators or docked-ship styled building blocks (Like embassies). Just a mild concern on my part.
    Damage as a function of speed with proper gravity based acceleration on items falling from space would probably do the trick. If you are barely moving, then no damage. If you hit the atmosphere doing 1000kmph then you get vaporized.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If you hit the atmosphere doing 1000kmph then you get vaporized.
    They would need to make atmospheres bigger as well then, cause they are a tad too shallow for that as is I think.

Reaction score
    They would need to make atmospheres bigger as well then, cause they are a tad too shallow for that as is I think.
    Atmosphere depth should be a function of planet size. Possibly planet size and moisture content if they have water...
    :)

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like that idea. One more thing that we need is working collision damage and plex Landers :D

Reaction score
    I like that idea. One more thing that we need is working collision damage and plex Landers :D
    With working collision damage and atmospheric damage we would need some kind of stabilizing thrusters if that's not yet possible so that you could activate them and they would prevent you from moving while draining energy. Stops you from just tumbling into a gravity well or bumping into nearby ships.

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    With working collision damage and atmospheric damage we would need some kind of stabilizing thrusters if that's not yet possible so that you could activate them and they would prevent you from moving while draining energy. Stops you from just tumbling into a gravity well or bumping into nearby ships.
    Passive/defensive stop effect does that for you.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Gravity damage is a neat idea.

It seems like it would be simple enough to implement - when falling a ship takes damage according to speed and distance. Then exploring planets would require either: 1) a landing platform that extends up through the atmosphere, or 2) a pilot who takes care when entering atmosphere.

If larger ships were more susceptible to gravity, it would help balance play. I'd also rather this wait until I can use blueprints/ship-yards to repair a ship.