Astronauts go unconscious before death

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the interest of space pirating, I suggest astronauts can go unconscious upon total health reaching zero where they go into a "overheating" like condition, where upon their inventory can be accessed and their body can be dragged around by other astronauts. If healed to at least one hitpoint, they will regain consciousness when the timer runs out, and if healed to full, they regain consciousness immediately, should they remain at zero health they respawn when timer runs out.

Reaction score
    In the interest of space pirating, I suggest astronauts can go unconscious upon total health reaching zero where they go into a "overheating" like condition, where upon their inventory can be accessed and their body can be dragged around by other astronauts. If healed to at least one hitpoint, they will regain consciousness when the timer runs out, and if healed to full, they regain consciousness immediately, should they remain at zero health they respawn when timer runs out.
    sounds pretty interesting!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yeah, I'm not so sure about this. If I hit someone with a laser strong enough to tear into meters of armor, it should vaporize that astronaut.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Ship cores seem to survive those hits pretty well.
    Ship cores stop interacting with the world when "destroyed." The only reason they stay is because the game requires ships to have a core. The game doesn't require astronauts to keep existing after getting blasted with a 1 million damage missile.

I actually do like the idea, I just think there should be some kind of Chunky Salsa Rule so that only low damage weapons (mainly astronaut weapons) inflict the unconscious effect.

I also don't think you should be able to loot bodies on servers that don't have Drop Items On Death set to True.

Reaction score
    only low damage weapons (mainly astronaut weapons) inflict the unconscious effect.

I also don't think you should be able to loot bodies on servers that don't have Drop Items On Death set to True.
    that would work

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'd keep it a separate server config to drop items on death that way you can have a loss to other players and not a loss to "the void".

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I kinda like this concept...

It could make "arrests" and "ransoms" a lot more interesting.

You could bump the astronaut heath to 500HP, make the first 100 HP count toward staying conscious then make the remaining 400HP apply to the physical durability of the suit's armor and the astronaut's body. When you take too much damage (more than 100 dmg) your suit puts you into suspended animation so you can be rescued (or captured). Sustaining damage beyond 500 would kill the astronaut.

If you want to go even crazier with this, you could even 're-spawn as a different crew member' and go rescue yourself; either for role play or to prevent faction point loss from player death.

Reactions: Lecic

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I kinda like this concept...

It could make "arrests" and "ransoms" a lot more interesting.

You could bump the astronaut heath to 500HP, make the first 100 HP count toward staying conscious then make the remaining 400HP apply to the physical durability of the suit's armor and the astronaut's body. When you take too much damage (more than 100 dmg) your suit puts you into suspended animation so you can be rescued (or captured). Sustaining damage beyond 500 would kill the astronaut.

If you want to go even crazier with this, you could even 're-spawn as a different crew member' and go rescue yourself; either for role play or to prevent faction point loss from player death.
    Players currently have 120 health... this would actually be a bit of a nerf.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Players currently have 120 health... this would actually be a bit of a nerf.
    I know. It's just an example man. Take it and run with it.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I do actually really like this as well. Set phasers to stun comes to mind. Would be great to have them to have a chance to become conscious after awhile...

The main problem is for the person that is unconscious? What happens when the player logs out? This gets into Ark level problems. This might work for NPCS not Players.

Dr. Whammy

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Give them the choice to stay put and wait, jail break (if they have a torch/transporter beacon) or re-spawn as a different crew member.

Arrests of this kind could grant faction points to who captures or whoever rescues you back; even if it's you going back to retrieve your "old self" from behind enemy lines.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like Lecic's idea to have an option to vaporize an astronaut.

Remember that with the current way Java handles numbers, it can go from negative 2.1B to positive 2.1B.

In Quake 1 and Quake 2, the player dropped when their health reached zero. However, if it reached a certain Negative number (I think it was -20 or -100 in the default game), the body would "gib" to pieces.

My point is that you could keep the current health amount, go unconscious at zero health, and then vaporize at, say -120.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Good thinking with that faction point affect. You take the prisoner back to homebase for faction point extraction muwahahahah.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I like Lecic's idea to have an option to vaporize an astronaut.

Remember that with the current way Java handles numbers, it can go from negative 2.1B to positive 2.1B.

In Quake 1 and Quake 2, the player dropped when their health reached zero. However, if it reached a certain Negative number (I think it was -20 or -100 in the default game), the body would "gib" to pieces.

My point is that you could keep the current health amount, go unconscious at zero health, and then vaporize at, say -120.
    I agree, however even the simplest weapon systems often do a few hundred + damage per shot.
    Maybe the player can be 'vapourised', however traces will remian and using a tool players can re-construct them.
    The players body could dissipate if the timer expires or the player chooses to re-spawn.

And yeah please no more giant debris clouds which are a pain to pick up, players inventory should go into a 'storage block' (can be seen on nav map if checked)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I agree, however even the simplest weapon systems often do a few hundred + damage per shot.
    Maybe the player can be 'vapourised', however traces will remian and using a tool players can re-construct them.
    The players body could dissipate if the timer expires or the player chooses to re-spawn.

And yeah please no more giant debris clouds which are a pain to pick up, players inventory should go into a 'storage block' (can be seen on nav map if checked)
    Well then maybe you shouldn't be trying to take prisoners with shipboard weapons?

Reactions: nightrune and Valck
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Well then maybe you shouldn't be trying to take prisoners with shipboard weapons?
    Kinda difficult to take prisoners what ever way you go about it XD Boarding is currently just not worth it, and requires a specific set up of emp, stop, and shield beams to work.