Astronaut & Voxel Size

How do you feel about astronaut size relative to our voxels?

• I love it

Votes: 2 6.9%
    • It's fine - not worth changing

Votes: 18 62.1%
    • Worth changing if easy to implement

Votes: 6 20.7%
    • Should be changed even if it takes a major effort

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    which could end up the same thing as splitting voxels.

think on it:

a 500m long ship suddenly becomes 250m long and its reasonable 2m high interior now only fits Daves legs, meaning a large portion of the ship needs to be refitted / rethought. Many systems (probably built system first if a new ship under 2.0) will need to be done from scratch.

this ultimately would cause people to double the size of their current standard builds to get something comfortable, and just as with splitting voxels, increasing server demands, strain and probably system requirements.

so either way its the same end result.

Edit: though I;m sure somebody will reply along the lines of "but these ones go up to ELEVEN!"
    Imagine all the ships that needs to be rebuilt.
    Fleet contest ships are ruined
    Saber and Criss's ships are ruined
    Everything needs to be rebuilt

OfficialCoding

Professional Quickfire Hater
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    What I said, and what people seem to be missing, is this:
    Now that I think about it though, there could be something for existing entities. if you have a single meter tall block, it would get divided into 4 half meter blocks upon updating. That way the builds would not be ruined, but we would still get the smaller block size.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    which could end up the same thing as splitting voxels.

think on it:

a 500m long ship suddenly becomes 250m long and its reasonable 2m high interior now only fits Daves legs, meaning a large portion of the ship needs to be refitted / rethought. Many systems (probably built system first if a new ship under 2.0) will need to be done from scratch.

this ultimately would cause people to double the size of their current standard builds to get something comfortable, and just as with splitting voxels, increasing server demands, strain and probably system requirements.

so either way its the same end result.

Edit: though I;m sure somebody will reply along the lines of "but these ones go up to ELEVEN!"
    Well, that's a big part of why I was suggesting it as a server setting option.

And the concern that changing the toon size would force a rebuild of all shells/hulls is not valid, though it would force a change to some finished ships. Only some though, because not many finished ships use a lot of 2-meter tall spaces. Most are 3-4 meters tall. Because 2-meter rooms look very abstract, which is part of why I'm suggesting it in the first place. So many of the beautiful finished ships have interiors that sort build for a 3-4 meter tall toon. It's the only way you can achieve certain very basic door effects and the like. Like, you can't make an even remotely circular-looking hatchway without using a line of 3 blocks - 1 wedge, 1 flat, 1 inverted wedge. Some good designers even use 5-block high interiors, because you can get a better appearance this way.

So some of the more spare designs would be impacted, but shells would not and based on my downloads I feel like less than half of the CC finished ships would be (and even this could be offset if Dave could 'crouch' or 'crawl' down to 2m).

Maybe... to avoid necessitating any refits whatever, toon height could be a player-side setting?

So either you can change your astronaut size on the fly (up to a server max, so we don't end up with 300m tall Dave float camping the spawn stick), or you pick a character height at first spawn. It would just be nice to have the option. And to get the camera into Dave's face, of course.
    [doublepost=1535554053,1535553950][/doublepost]
    Imagine all the ships that needs to be rebuilt.
    Fleet contest ships are ruined
    Saber and Criss's ships are ruined
    Everything needs to be rebuilt
    That's only if blocks are changed or a new default is forced though.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well, that's a big part of why I was suggesting it as a server setting option.

And the concern that changing the toon size would force a rebuild of all shells/hulls is not valid, though it would force a change to some finished ships. Only some though, because not many finished ships use a lot of 2-meter tall spaces. Most are 3-4 meters tall. Because 2-meter rooms look very abstract, which is part of why I'm suggesting it in the first place. So many of the beautiful finished ships have interiors that sort build for a 3-4 meter tall toon. It's the only way you can achieve certain very basic door effects and the like. Like, you can't make an even remotely circular-looking hatchway without using a line of 3 blocks - 1 wedge, 1 flat, 1 inverted wedge. Some good designers even use 5-block high interiors, because you can get a better appearance this way.

So some of the more spare designs would be impacted, but shells would not and based on my downloads I feel like less than half of the CC finished ships would be (and even this could be offset if Dave could 'crouch' or 'crawl' down to 2m).

Maybe... to avoid necessitating any refits whatever, toon height could be a player-side setting?

So either you can change your astronaut size on the fly (up to a server max, so we don't end up with 300m tall Dave float camping the spawn stick), or you pick a character height at first spawn. It would just be nice to have the option. And to get the camera into Dave's face, of course.
    [doublepost=1535554053,1535553950][/doublepost]

That's only if blocks are changed or a new default is forced though.
    or if you resize the player character to be larger

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    or if you resize the player character to be larger
    Only if the resize is a forced default.

Not if it is a server-side or player-side option, as has been the suggestion since Post #1.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Only if the resize is a forced default.

Not if it is a server-side or player-side option, as has been the suggestion since Post #1.
    wouldnt it be just a bit stupid if it wasnt forced?
    that would mean you have gigantic daves walking around but the hitbox is still only two blocks tall?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I mean... slabs exist.

So do LOD blocks.

This is a bit of a none issue.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    that would mean you have gigantic daves walking around but the hitbox is still only two blocks tall?
    Would it? It would be impossible for the hitbox to scale?

That's funny, because with the new LoD system I felt like it would be extremely easy.

Also, mentioned in the post you quoted - a cap on max Dave size.
    [doublepost=1535555181,1535554546][/doublepost]Anyway - I put it in General because I'm not sure it really warrants a suggestion. I don't believe that anything in the idea would obsolete a single ship in the CC though, or break a single gameplay mechanic if sensibly implemented.

If people don't want an option to scale Dave to match their builds though, that's probably fine. Other voxel games don't have options like that either AFAK - wouldn't want to "break from the pack" too much in terms of player options!

People might get all 'crazy' and start doing horizontal, quadrupedal toon skins and things that look like legit different alien races... could get ugly. :ROFLMAO: What kind of voxel game doesn't make everyone look exactly the same, after all? I mean - after decades of evolving character variety choices in every other game genre, Steve-Dave is a huge innovation, right?

Anyway. Twas just a notion. Seems like a decent majority dislike the idea though.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't think the idea is to change the block size, but rather to make the astronaut fit the existing blocks.

Does anyone disagree with that description, or think that it is a desirable aesthetic?
    Conceptually, they are the same, but from different perspectives.
    • From the perspective of the block, the astronaut increases in size.
    • From the perspective of the astronaut, the block decreases in size.
    From the perspective of programming the game, the blocks are (most likely) based on integer coordinate arrays, so technically, this change would involve the astronaut increasing in size as you wrote. If you would want to adjust existing blueprints to fit, you would be multiplying the number of blocks in a blueprint by roughly 8 and doubling the number of blocks on each of the three axes.