Brainstorm This Astronaut Mode gameplay.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Hunger isn't something I would want to see. Sure, people may call this "minecraft in space" but we don't have to copy every aspect of minecraft. Sheesh, astronauts can survive without a helmet in space.

There should be more options to explore. Maybe procedurally generated objects in space, with clues leading to other objects and sites. Crashed ships on planets and what not. I personally would love to see a game mode where you start off as a crashed ship on a planet (in reality, the "crashed ship" would be part of the planet, and salvaging it would only produce scrap). From there, the player would have to get off the planet and go on from there. It would make creating your first spaceship even more satisfying.

I'm a big fan of making planets only salvageable as an astronaut. It would also be neat if planets occasionally spawned hidden bases an what not. This would force people out of their ships

I'd like to see Lasers with customizable beams. Heal and power beams should get a unique texture so people don't confuse them with weapon fire ;)
    I disagree with you, I think there should be more of a survival aspect, food shouldn't be bought at a shop though, well at least not for a cheap price. This may push the player to hunt for space animals and eat them. hunger however should not bother with building big ships, that would be annoying to go find food ever 10 minutes. when the player is injured he needs to be above 70% food to heal.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I agree that currently there is no incentive to spacewalk anywhere or do anything as an astronaut. In fact I carry 20 something cores at all times because when I want to get someplace I just pop one down and fly. Boarding is a step in the right direction but is rarely an option.

Currently, the astronaut is too slow to risk leaving a ship in combat. Take one lathargic space step outside your ship and get slammed by a stray heatseaking rocket or the beam of a 100% accurate ai. Personal radar jamming, cloaking, jetpacks, and shielding that all pull from a shared energy pool in the suit imo would give the astronaut more survivability/mobility when trying to mosey over to another ship during boarding which is really all I would use the astronaut for as the game mostly results in combat (which i enjoy).

So yeah, I agree with everyone who has suggested more gadgets and an equipment menu/ui even if it just fixes boarding and not the overall uselessness of the astronaut.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ah, but players can heal with the heal gun, or astrotech beam. Hunger in general is annoying. But, if we wanted to force players to use planets, then planet salvaging should be disabled by default... and then we have the medical bays.

Besides, our ships can make missiles from nothing, why can't they also make food from nothing? (Actually, requiring missiles to be manufactured would be a good way to gimp missile usage, but that's for another thread).

Exploration would be a fun aspect to expand in the game.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Exploration would be cool only if there was an incentive to do so. People need a reason to crawl through caves and derelicts instead of salvage or kill pirates.

Blocks and items with randomized specs and appearances that differ from purchasable 'stock' versions that follow a 'different yet equal' philosophy found in games like tf2 would add ample reason to explore. For example, after navigating through a protected 'dungeon' only accessible by astronaut, you find a jump drive computer that charges faster but jumps shorter distances or a cannon computer that shoots slower but at a higher range.

While I can see difficulties in balancing and a one-of-a-kind block kind of breaks blueprint fulfillment, these unique blocks and equipment would add variance and a personal flair to builds and make me want to power down my ship and explore.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Interesting idea.. though, it could be more in the form of interesting artifacts to decorate a ship or station with. Basically trophy pieces. Maybe you'd have to follow a progression to pick up all of the pieces to build an animated reactor core or something.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Interesting idea.. though, it could be more in the form of interesting artifacts to decorate a ship or station with. Basically trophy pieces. Maybe you'd have to follow a progression to pick up all of the pieces to build an animated reactor core or something.
    Yeah, that would be a lot easier to implement/regulate. So long as the loot is worthwhile and not obtainable through shops or crafting I think It would add enough incentive to pursue it through exploration preferably as an astronaut.

Reaction score
    I think something like this should either be a cosmetic change, or a very-carefully-balanced sidegrade(though with buildable ships of any size it's too difficult to balance already).

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Hunger isn't something I would want to see. Sure, people may call this "minecraft in space" but we don't have to copy every aspect of minecraft. Sheesh, astronauts can survive without a helmet in space.
    And you believe that this is intended and will remain in the game why...? The devs have, on multiple occasions, said that there are plans being thrown around for an air/life support system. Having more survival aspects in the game is not 'copying Minecraft,' it's not like they were the first to have a hunger system. Actually, last time I checked that was Real Life, and nobody will get mad at you for copying from that game. (Unless you copy annoying things, like the Law of Conservation of Mass/Energy, certain laws of thermodynamics... I hate those things; they could use a nerf or some new mechanics that can circumvent them, but unfortunately the devs aren't listening. I've always been an advocate of some kind of magic system, but oh well. :p)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As I pointed out before, the hunger is questionable addition to StarMade, but it's also possible it would fit well and make the game benefit from it if once certain problem would be solved. Many if not most self-titled 'survival' games implement food in somewhat unsatisfying manner by making it just a timed chore of 'use another sandwich after 10 minutes since the last one' - that's why my post above, concentrating on making food not just bothersome micromanaging 'get 1000x food item, use 1000x food item over next few hours'.

The point I make and want to clarify from my earlier post that I believe is the real source of 'to be or not to be' for nutrition feature is how it is done.

Making it a standing objective, but one that the player doesn't have to think about all the time nor will easily solve from get-go and will require actual work without being tedious and grindy - would be great. I enjoy survival games but I also grown bored quickly of eating and doing many other chores in Minecraft (otherwise a great game, especially with certain more hardcore survival mods taking care of many issues I am mentioning) since there wasn't much of a feeling of accomplishment or progression beyond first few in-game days when I already had a working shelter, a set of tools, a small but sizeable enough to sustain me and secured field and often - even an animal pen, which basically as far as just comfortable, efficient survival alone goes - left me without further goals, just with building eye-candy and further exploration, mining and crafting to grow stronger for the hell of it.

I'd rather, if possible, try to inspire similar mood I perceived watching a certain episode of Firefly - where high quantities of quality food rations were pricey and rare enough in some places that they were actual worthwhile goal, something step above 'not dying of starvation', a valuable trade good and a rare thing in fringe, largely unurbanized worlds lacking production and distribution infrastructure.

If Schine can make it so - great, it'd help the immersion a bit, provide direction for player's actions (sandbox is all nice and dandy but even in a sandbox game average player requires some goals and challenges for it to be an actual game) and, importantly, serve as a cash sink as currently there are no real standing expenses and credits accumulate too easily. If, however, the devs are not up to the task at this point, I'd rather not have food/thirst (again, 'nutrition' in general) at all, rather than the drudgery of having to stop every few minutes to open the inventory, gulp down a few food items and then continue on one's merry way.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, having consumables of any kind in-game would be annoying. Although, for missiles, I do think these should be consumables.. But moving away from the idea of consumables, lets talk about the astronaut.

It needs more gear:

Armor (that can be colored), personal shield, and make health regenerate a lot slower (to make those medical decorations meaningful).
    A jetpack, of sorts, that increases the astronauts zero-g speed
    An enhancement to the salvage beam, which increases the critical chance or yield in general, and speed.
    And a utility slot to load the various weapons/beams. It should be easier to force your astronaut to be in a beam fire mode only as well, rather than having to select an empty spot in your quick bar to fire a beam and accidentally place a block instead.

We need real chairs. regular chairs, and command chairs/consoles that can be tied to docked turrets (in which case, they are linked to the turret axis on the parent object, whether it be a station or a ship) or the ship's core.

I hitched a ride with someone on their ship, and ended up getting stuck in a wall because of a game glitch (even after activating the gravity block). This needs to be fixed, and would be fixed of schine would make the astronaut's position relative to the entity they're inside, instead of only an absolute position in space. I would like to see more interaction possibilities inside a ship, but this would involve getting out of the core, and having an auto-pilot... along with some kind of ship-wide alert system in case of, hostiles, damage, or arriving at your destination.

The logbook is too small to be useful. I'd like to see this expanded to at least 16k. Instead of just one log book, lets make this a device that can access any log you've subscribed to. For instance, servers can automatically add the server rules to new players logbooks. Factions could have their own books, and then players could keep track of things in their personal logs. In this' we'd move away from the idea of a logbook, and more into the realm of a hand-held computer, which makes sense. When this is accessed, the player should take on a new animation of them punching away at their arm band. Transfer of these log books would be done through some kind of item exchange, which would link the new text entry to their device.

Ship placeable build/design computer, that'll allow the astronaut to work on new ship or station design even in flight from anywhere, without the need to first gather all the required blocks. We could have "red prints" which are works in progress, and not yet "blue prints"

Astronauts shouldn't vanish into boxes. They should be animated outside of the box they're accessing. Any fire on them will break them out of the object they're working on, but they'd take no damage for the first 2 seconds.

Water blocks shouldn't be a solid cube. It's water, not ice!

I could see more NPC interactions, possibly even NPC rescue missions, which would involve the NPC coming into your ship. You would, of course, have to get out of your ship to help/talk to that NPC. possibly fire your heal beam at them to get them up and going again.

Gravity needs to be reworked, or at least have another module that makes gravity binding automatic for the entire interior of a an entity. If you're on a planet, then the planet's gravity should take precedence over your ships gravity. Sure, it's possible with area triggers, but this isn't any good.

Beds would be cool that the player could use with "O" and then log out.

We need locks, actual locks, that ignore the faction permissions. In this way, a base could be created and both faction and non-faction players could have their own room inside of a station which would be protected from all anyone that doesn't have edit permission on the structure. Faction or non-faction players wouldn't be able to activate doors or logic blocks these locks are attached to without using the lock. The lock would require a pin (4-16 digits), a wrong pin would cause an alarm to sound for 5 seconds. The lock it's self would need a few configuration options (unlocked signal is either "on" or "off", and a time delay for returning to the default state-- so a door lock would default to an active signal, and only turn off when unlocked, and stay off until 5-xx seconds pass).

Storage needs to be lockable.. Sheesh, the boxes say "locked" on them after all.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    gear should be craft-able. or be bought for an high price. (crafting will be cheeper)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Starmade is, and should remain, a sandbox.
    Adding survival elements is not the way. You want to add an incentive for players to do things in a sandbox, not a need for players to do things. That's why thing like ammo always get shot down, because people don't want added limits; the want more cool things to do.
    Dungeons, more player gear, some sort of ability to hack station systems, all of these would be great additions from the game. I'd love to see personal shields, or customized handled held weapons. The ability to add NPC's to stations, to make your home station as cool as the tutorial station, all of that would be nice.

Starmade doesn't need more restrictions, it needs more opportunities. The lack of restrictions, the infinite opportunity, is what makes starmade starmade, and not just some copy of space engineers.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Starmade doesn't need more restrictions, it needs more opportunities. The lack of restrictions, the infinite opportunity, is what makes starmade starmade
    With that I'd have to disagree, at least by the extent the thought is taken to. Restrictions, challenges etc are what makes a game - game. Not only Starmade. They do have to be managed, obviously, so the freedom and ability to express oneself are still there but without putting it in certain boundaries, the thing stops being a game. Already, certain restrictions are in and they are necessary for people to be able to play and to actually want to pursue opportunities.

Assume that there's no restriction on size and power and core blocks with single one-block cannon, a computer, engine and power generator is enough to take down whole installations with one shot - after all, one could say they want opportunity of easily destroying whole fleets of enemies with what amount to space bicycle. Or we can go further - why to limit ship's capabilities by blocks? Let every block have whatever qualities, abilities and options one wants! We can also take out shops and there's no need for silly quests, after all why to put restrictions on blocks accessibility? Infinite inventory permanently filled with every block and item would provide plenty of opportunities for constructions!

Sounds silly, I know - and it is not what you had in mind. But StarMade does need more restrictions as more features come in - so those features will mesh with the rest of the game. The most important thing is to balance them so restrictions will create a certain boundaries in which player enjoy themselves without wrecking the whole balance and the point.

We can look at StarMade's spiritual ancestor - Minecraft. Creative mode which is the closest to pure unrestricted mucking around with game's features is used from time to time to make something nifty but almost whole longer gameplay and experiences derived from it for big majority of players come from survival mode, moded and not.

There need to be goals and there need to be challenges to give direction to the gameplay. Ideally, many of them should not be hard-coded but naturally stem from player's actions and the decisions made, but their role and the need for them is permanent. The goal of survival element is actually to provide opportunities, having a challenge to overcome and objectives to be completed - so a thing that apparently makes StarMade of worth even for you. Players need such things so there will be anything for them to aspire to in the game.

The problem? Making it that it will be challenging, of importance, maybe even bordering on hard to bring some excitement to the smooth sailing - but without being a humongeous, tedious, repetitive pain in the butt that doesn't enrich the gameplay, just requires player to perform the role of an automaton to continue playing.

Many players, after all, me included, got lured by and support the Starmade not merely because of its potential as a sandbox where you can build some stuff in the void, but because of the promise of actual virtual space opera, a science-fiction universe in which we can partake.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    With that I'd have to disagree, at least by the extent the thought is taken to. Restrictions, challenges etc are what makes a game - game. Not only Starmade. They do have to be managed, obviously, so the freedom and ability to express oneself are still there but without putting it in certain boundaries, the thing stops being a game. Already, certain restrictions are in and they are necessary for people to be able to play and to actually want to pursue opportunities.

Assume that there's no restriction on size and power and core blocks with single one-block cannon, a computer, engine and power generator is enough to take down whole installations with one shot - after all, one could say they want opportunity of easily destroying whole fleets of enemies with what amount to space bicycle. Or we can go further - why to limit ship's capabilities by blocks? Let every block have whatever qualities, abilities and options one wants! We can also take out shops and there's no need for silly quests, after all why to put restrictions on blocks accessibility? Infinite inventory permanently filled with every block and item would provide plenty of opportunities for constructions!

Sounds silly, I know - and it is not what you had in mind. But StarMade does need more restrictions as more features come in - so those features will mesh with the rest of the game. The most important thing is to balance them so restrictions will create a certain boundaries in which player enjoy themselves without wrecking the whole balance and the point.

We can look at StarMade's spiritual ancestor - Minecraft. Creative mode which is the closest to pure unrestricted mucking around with game's features is used from time to time to make something nifty but almost whole longer gameplay and experiences derived from it for big majority of players come from survival mode, moded and not.

There need to be goals and there need to be challenges to give direction to the gameplay. Ideally, many of them should not be hard-coded but naturally stem from player's actions and the decisions made, but their role and the need for them is permanent. The goal of survival element is actually to provide opportunities, having a challenge to overcome and objectives to be completed - so a thing that apparently makes StarMade of worth even for you. Players need such things so there will be anything for them to aspire to in the game.

The problem? Making it that it will be challenging, of importance, maybe even bordering on hard to bring some excitement to the smooth sailing - but without being a humongeous, tedious, repetitive pain in the butt that doesn't enrich the gameplay, just requires player to perform the role of an automaton to continue playing.

Many players, after all, me included, got lured by and support the Starmade not merely because of its potential as a sandbox where you can build some stuff in the void, but because of the promise of actual virtual space opera, a science-fiction universe in which we can partake.
    Perhaps you didn't quite understand what I was saying entirely, let me try to explain what I was saying again.
    I agree that restrictions are necessary, that infinite resources would not be fun, that not having to be clever about your ship designs to make a small ship powerful would ruin things. I think this is your point.
    Oxygen, Food... adding these is different from making it so that your cannons require power. If I want a big cannon, I'm restricted by the need for more power, and the need for more resources. I want A, and so I must do B and C to get there.
    Oxygen and Food don't add a cool new feature, they add an omnipresent concern. I'ts not I want A, so I must do B and C. It's I need A, so I must do B and C. You don't need the big cannon, you won't die and lose all of your progress if you don't have a big cannon. You could make a big damage beam instead. You could make lots of little missiles! or you could say screw it, I'm going to try boarding, and not fiddle with any of these things.
    When you add a feature, you want that feature to be balanced by restrictions. Players can use that feature, or they may not. When you add things like oxygen and food, you add something that players must do. I may want to spend my time trying to build a cool turret, but instead I need to go to a planet to pick up food again. You aren't just restricting one feature that a player may or may not want to use; you are restricting all of the features that a player may or may not want to use.
    We want to see cool weaknesses to exploit for players to defend against, yes (boarding). But you don't need to do that. You don't need to pvp at all, if you don't want to. The challenge of starmade should come from seeing which side, which team can be cleverer than the other in what they do. You want to add more ways for people to be clever. Sure, if there are no restrictions, you don't have to be clever, because both sides can have equally overpowered lag machines that don't provide any fun. But you also don't want to add these PvE survival elements that detract from seeing who can build the coolest ship, the strongest ship, the smallest effective ship by making it so that these people are too busy scooping up oxygen or food to do any of that.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Oxygen, Food... adding these is different from making it so that your cannons require power. If I want a big cannon, I'm restricted by the need for more power, and the need for more resources. I want A, and so I must do B and C to get there.
    It's an example that certain restrictions are necessary. I believe that both lasting and temporary ones have their place, though.

Oxygen and Food don't add a cool new feature, they add an omnipresent concern.
    But that's the thing - we do need lasting concern. And for many, indefinitely ensuring that certain ongoing necessities are being provided, that they do good job by 'staying afloat' - is a cool feature. Currently whatever undertaken, once certain basic prerequisites are achieved, is completely dull, with no lasting concerns or things to be put into consideration. And most goals, if they aren't of the 'let's build something great, detailed and cool' variety - are achievable very quickly, leaving a player without any reason to go anywhere, do anything.

Even more, even those more ambitious goals, once achieved, rarely provide the player with anything to go against besides, on some servers, other players with other such ships they have to look for. But if they aren't into actually looking for something to shoot with their ship, that's it - their project finished, no game to play left. They stop playing or move onto building something else.

If anything, lasting concern will add to satisfaction. Their more ambitious projects achieved despite whatever hardships had. And let's be honest, aside from the time spent currently making stuff, there's not many of such posing a challenge. Credits are easily achievable with nowhere else to go, no maintenance on anything is required and enemies interrupting a project are more of a hearsay and a thing that happens rather rarely and only in certain places more than a lasting concern. But that's another topic.

I understand some want just the shipmaker application and arena to present it against other ships. But there are players, quite many of them from what I've seen, who want a game, with lasting challenges, intricaties of smart ship/station design and potential uses and ventures whatever they'll have will be used in - adding worth to their final accomplishments after all's said and done. I suspect that some builders who saw their construction being actually used - for whatever reason - instead of being an eye-candy soon forgotten, know the satisfaction of that and understand what I mean.

Sure, lot of that can be provided by new challenges one chooses to take on, but I do believe there should be a challenge on the way to completing some task, not just as a final test after the work is finished. I want to see some struggle and risk vs reward choices that sometimes will be forced upon the player, instead of making him just some entity unrelated to the world and situation around him if he won't decide to take part in it.

But you also don't want to add these PvE survival elements that detract from seeing who can build the coolest ship, the strongest ship, the smallest effective ship by making it so that these people are too busy scooping up oxygen or food to do any of that.
    Yes, actually - I want to add survival elements so the game won't be just about "seeing who can built the coolest ship, the strongest ship, the smallest effective ship". I want the game to be much more than ship maker, an actual adventure, a sci-fi space opera as I've called it above. With the opportunities, concerns, challenges and gameplay where one carves their own place in it, instead of just existing in the limbo, with little to regard or work with if they won't provoke/make it happen first.

But I raise concern about importance of making such features ones that may add more challenge to building and piloting ships exactly so they won't on their own destroy the potential for building whatever ships - that's what I meant by making it a lasting challenge, not dull, repetitive interruption. And I believe that while hard, there are ways to achieve it.

Oxygen, for example - I wouldn't want it to have to be scooped. I always imagined life support as having oxygen generators/ducts spanning the interior of the ship or a station, generating 'there's breathable air' effect in certain range of rooms closed from space - thus allowing perpetually breathable 'indoors' necessary long-term for both players and NPCs, but also things like basis for hull breach points (during explosions, accidents, collisions, what-have-you) threatening them and difference between going EVA with limited oxygen and helmet on - be it through venturing into space shipless or after landing on some alien worlds - and having proper, safe environment. Currently, one will survive everywhere, anyway, with no preparation, as long as they're not in active combat against something able to harm them - and that is disappointing. No challenge, no dangers in exploration, venturing far from safe stations and depots beyond some other ship which can most often be avoided.

Food and potential issues with it as not a lasting challenge but a dull interruption I already regarded above, together with what direction nutrition should take to be the former without being much of the latter.

Last edited: