Astronaut Bubble Shields -- Dune style!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    In the novel DUNE, people make use of off-surface shields that stop things above a certain velocity from passing through and touching the shielded object or person.
    Shield
    Don't mind anything it mentions about the movie. NO! IGNORE THAT!

The main idea:
    A bubble shield just for astronauts.
    This could be put in StarMade as a new astronaut tool.
    The shield should allow the user to move from cover to cover under fire for short distances. Whether this means a shield that can take a several hits or an impervious shield that lasts only a short time I don't know.​

Sub ideas:
    The shape could be like a 12 sized die.

The shield could be impervious to energy weapons, and require the use of a (yet to be added) melee weapon. Why can't ships use these "super shields"? Why, they aren't stable at that size! (Maybe that's what damage pulses are?)
    This could/should also prevent the user from using their astronaut weapons. Perhaps it would cause you to take the damage from your own weapon.​

ps. Yes I know that shields in DUNE would explode along with any lasguns that hit them.

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    In the novel DUNE, people make use of off-surface shields that stop things above a certain velocity from passing through and touching the shielded object or person.
    Shield
    Don't mind anything it mentions about the movie. NO! IGNORE THAT!

The main idea:
    A bubble shield just for astronauts.
    This could be put in StarMade as a new astronaut tool.
    The shield should allow the user to move from cover to cover under fire for short distances. Whether this means a shield that can take a several hits or an impervious shield that lasts only a short time I don't know.​

Sub ideas:
    The shape could be like a 12 sized die.

The shield could be impervious to energy weapons, and require the use of a (yet to be added) melee weapon. Why can't ships use these "super shields"? Why, they aren't stable at that size! (Maybe that's what damage pulses are?)
    This could/should also prevent the user from using their astronaut weapons. Perhaps it would cause you to take the damage from your own weapon.​

ps. Yes I know that shields in DUNE would explode along with any lasguns that hit them.
    This is one bubble shield I can get behind. I like the idea it isn't an actual sphere, rather a 12 sided object which would put much less strain on the CPU/whatever.

Though this would be a great addition if and when astronaut equipment is revamped, then you wouldn't need to have the item in the hotbar.

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    This would not be out of place on a marine whose main job is boarding enemy vessels. A personal shield should be able to be one-shotted with any ship weapon, but extend the duration of fire-fights between astronauts somewhat. Also, may be a useful balance-element if other personal weapons are introduced.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If they ever made it so you could equip gear on your character, this would be a great addition. I would give the shield about 60 health, so your character can take about 50% more damage. And perhaps make different shield versions. Such as one with 40% explosive resist or 40% energy weapon resist or 66% environmental damage resist, so that those specific shields take less damage from those sources.

Edit: Maybe the Power Supply Beam Gun could be used to fast recharge other player's shields.

Last edited:

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is one bubble shield I can get behind. I like the idea it isn't an actual sphere, rather a 12 sided object which would put much less strain on the CPU/whatever.

Though this would be a great addition if and when astronaut equipment is revamped, then you wouldn't need to have the item in the hotbar.
    A sphere might actually create less CPU strain. All you have to do is keep track of how far the bullet is from the player, and if it comes within a certain distance it would be absorbed by the shield.

Reactions: alterintel

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I really like this idea! My only problem with it is a few questions that are currently unanswered;
    1. Can you shoot out of the shield while using it?
    2. For balance, what extra downside is there when the shield is broken? Does it blow-up any nearby cover you may be ducking behind?
    3. How do you get the shield? Is it an item with its own slot in the inventory?
    4. Do you need to buy batteries to recharge the shield with, and does it drain them when the shield is on, or just under-fire?

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I really like this idea! My only problem with it is a few questions that are currently unanswered;
    2. For balance, what extra downside is there when the shield is broken? Does it blow-up any nearby cover you may be ducking behind?
    4. Do you need to buy batteries to recharge the shield with, and does it drain them when the shield is on, or just under-fire?
    My personal answers (probably won't match OP's)

1. No, because you currently having the shield selected in your hotbar, not a weapon
    2. For balance I'd say it only last a couple seconds and has quite some cooldown time
    3. "Is it an item with its own slot in the inventory?" For now, yes. I'm not sure how equipment is gonna look like once it's here, but for the time being I'd say it's item in your inventory that occupies a slot in your hotbar.
    4. see 2. . "Lorewise" I'd say it has a self sustaining energy source, but overheats after a short time and needs to cooldown or recharge it's capacitor

At least that's how I'd like to see something like this ingame

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    1. No, whether the shield needs to be selected to be on or not, any sort of shot from inside would hurt the user instead.
    2. The shield does not break.
    3. Using the current tool system, the shield would be an astronaut tool that you must activate to use.
    4. No, but the shield would destabilize after a few moments.
    If you think the shield SHOULD break, I have ideas for that too.
    The idea is to give the player a short moment of invulnerability that can be recharged several times in one firefight. NOT to simply give the player some extra hit points.
    [doublepost=1476256088,1476256016][/doublepost]Picture dodging from cover to cover.
    [doublepost=1476256118][/doublepost]Recharging your shield between each move.

Reactions: kiddan
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm not sure I like an invulnerable shield. I personally tend to not use any kind of 3 sec invulnerability skills in any games I play. I would prefer to have a shield that extends my health bar. But, that's not to say that both kinds of shields can't exist. The more gear options the better.

And on something kind of unrelated. Recently in Grim Dawn these Possessed Elementalists seem to use a 2-3 second invulnerability thing when I'm raining death upon them. I just bert stare at them and continue raining down death.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm not sure I like an invulnerable shield. I personally tend to not use any kind of 3 sec invulnerability skills in any games I play. I would prefer to have a shield that extends my health bar. But, that's not to say that both kinds of shields can't exist. The more gear options the better.
    Yes, It might make more sense for It to be have hit points. Perhaps it would be set to be 100% of the players health, however this percent would be configurable. Perhaps having another person behind you with a power supply could extend the life of the shield.
    And on something kind of unrelated. Recently in Grim Dawn these Possessed Elementalists seem to use a 2-3 second invulnerability thing when I'm raining death upon them. I just bert stare at them and continue raining down death.
    Well, it's not exactly smart to rely on cover that lasts only 3 seconds.
    [doublepost=1476289808,1476289501][/doublepost]I would also LOVE a way to plant explosives on ships and stations that are shielded.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    You could always combine both kinds of shields. Have a 40~80 health, always on shield that acts like an extension of the players health, and also have an option on it that you can activate every 30 seconds that is like a 2 second invulnerable shield.