Asteroid Fields/Nebulas etc.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    A Cool thing that could be added in the game can be proper asteroid fields, nebulas etc. . That would make the faction battles soo much strategic. I know they will be probably added but i just wanted to know what are the community's opinions on this.

Reaction score
    Asteroid fields are a nice idea, especially for resource mining, nebula's are another story.
    Asteroid fields can be easy to implement, just amp up the concentration of asteroids for that specific sector, nebula are background images.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    but nebulae in background images can neither add linear dampening (which would there make at least sense compared to empty space) nor they obstruct vision of targets.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    When you try to cross an asteroid field with a big ship the little/big asteroids will penetrate your shields (and with collision, you will really have to find a way around). The nebulas will lower your power regen/shields and weapons.

Reactions: SapioiT
    Reaction score
    you should have asteroid fields around planets also, that would prevent giant ships from being able to get close to a planetary base and exploding it, also for extra protection you should be able to shield them, and if they ever make shield rays(rays that give shields to stuff they hit) it could be used as a planetary shield system

Reactions: SapioiT
    Reaction score
    Here is some info on and the make-up of rings,
    some giant rings (like the biggest around Saturn) are invisible and mostly consist of dust.
    most rings are made up of dust, or dirty ice.
    Saturn's rings are held in orbit through gravitational interactions with billions of other particles and Saturn its-self

here are some more relevant facts about asteroids and asteroid fields
    sometimes when objects 1/50,000 the size of the asteroid impact the asteroid it can brake into a family of asteroids, or a giant ball of dust and rock
    asteroids can have moons/satellites orbiting them(see 243 Ida)
    asteroids can have "land"slides that can cover up craters
    asteroid fields(contrary to popular belief) are not full to the brim with asteroids and a danger to traverse (but that would be no fun for a game about space travel, and fighting)

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Suggested before, and planned, I think, but needed nonetheless. +1 to you.

Reaction score
    That'd be awesome, Nebula's that cans effect certain ship systems or just to build/ hide a space station in!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nebulae could also be a resource type, it would be nice to have more than one type of resource gathering that is just a salvage beam. Now we could have a nebulizer for sucking up nebula gas which can be used to make late game items or something

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Real nebulae are not as dense as they look. The procedural nebulae backgrounds we already have are probably more accurate for what being inside a nebulae would be like.

Plus, nebulae are just clouds of dust, mainly hydrogen. Why would they lower your shields or power regen? I don't see why everyone wants this.

and if they ever make shield rays(rays that give shields to stuff they hit)
    Shield Supply Beams. You're thinking of Shield Supply Beams. Which we already have.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    Why would they lower your shields or power regen?
    Seems like they've been playing too many space RTS games like Empire at War where it does that.

Though, arguing for realism in Starmade is kind of silly on principle with polygonal planets. Not that I don't agree with you on Nebulae. I think if we do get them, they should have more function than just looking pretty. Might be cool if you drop off the radar or from scanners due to interference or something.

Reaction score
    Seems like they've been playing too many space RTS games like Empire at War where it does that.

Though, arguing for realism in Starmade is kind of silly on principle with polygonal planets. Not that I don't agree with you on Nebulae. I think if we do get them, they should have more function than just looking pretty. Might be cool if you drop off the radar or from scanners due to interference or something.
    It'll just be cool, doesn't have to make sense, oh and whats Empire at War?

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    I must agree with this, better asteroid fields and nebulae would be so cool to have in game. I really hate the current asteroids, they spawn teensy little clusters. It would be much better if they spawned more asteroids, and spread them out relative to sector size.
    Now nebulae, I feel there should be large clumps of sectors in some systems with nebulae instead of individual sectors, and yes they should definitely have differing effects.
    whats Empire at War?
    The best Star Wars RTS game that has ever existed, that's what it is.

Reaction score
    When you try to cross an asteroid field with a big ship the little/big asteroids will penetrate your shields (and with collision, you will really have to find a way around). The nebulas will lower your power regen/shields and weapons.
    Nope. No No No No No No No.

Please no.

I was thinking you were talking about making nebulas that jammed radar or cloaks, and asteroid fields that were simply asteroid fields (when we collide with a planet, our ship doesn't explode)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    fc100531_halolz-dot-com-teamfortress2-nope.avi-obama-poster.jpg

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    You nope now, but collision damage is an option, and once it works right I can see it actually being used.

I like the idea of light buffs/debuffs based on sector/systems, but gotta be a little more creative with it.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You nope now, but collision damage is an option, and once it works right I can see it actually being used.

I like the idea of light buffs/debuffs based on sector/systems, but gotta be a little more creative with it.
    If collision damage ignores shields, I doubt many servers will ever decide to turn it on. It's fine to deal damage to shields.

You'd have to be more creative than just applying a buff or debuff to satisfy me. Use (Starmade/scifi) physics to do things instead of just coding in artificial-feeling buffs or debuffs. i.e a bright star logically increases solar panel yield, only we don't have solar panels in the game, or a use for them as of yet. That's the sort of thing that should happen, not just some buff popping up for no particular reason.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Use (Starmade/scifi) physics to do things instead of just coding in artificial-feeling buffs or debuffs. i.e a bright star logically increases solar panel yield
    Still just applying a buff, just creativity was used so that it's more lore-ish. No matter how you look at it, it is just a light buff afterall.

If collision damage ignores shields, I doubt many servers will ever decide to turn it on. It's fine to deal damage to shields.
    Stars damage through shields, something that would probably never change. But I didn't say most, I just said used, which it isn't at all right now. You'd never be able to use it on a 'large' public server because those just attract people who want to bang stuff.

Cal did say they plan to redo the collision system, something to do with explosions, and if it takes into account the armour of blocks when taking damage, and the mass of the ships, I see no reason not to use it.