Read by Schine Artificial Evoulution

Reaction score
    This suggestion is based on the upcoming NPC update(s). It focuses on an evolutionary system that, honestly, may not be for a long time or ever see the game. The idea is that all NPC factions have stages of evolution, such as the Forerunner tier system in the Halo series. Some start as space-faring, some modern, etc. At any stage you are able to influence the faction in any way, but you may have to retry or simply be unable to do it again. You could give a large freighter to cavemen, eventually but more quickly increasing their tier, or change a genome, altering their appearance and skills, along with other ways, such as economy, politics, etc. This would be a nice feature for me personally, because it would allow me to take care of my own race, which I think is rather fascinating. This idea obviously has flaws, so please comment your ideas and improvements down below. Thank you.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think it is planed, but I am not sure about the extend of it.

It is a very complex thing.
    Different species for example have different gen-sequences for the stop-sequence. If you merge 2 dissimilar species, the result can lack the ability to use either sequence-variant and lose the ability to process half the genome. No mixing of alien-species.
    This doesn't just apply to the stop-sequence, but also start, multipliers, etc.

If anything is mixed it has to be done with genetic engineering or be very very improbable. The result would probably sterile or only able to reproduce with one of it's parent species.

There could be one gen responsible for multiple relative proportions (middle finger to hand width, eye-iris texture to personality traits, etc).
    If you change one, it also changes something else.

Perhaps you could change the DNA of some part when it's separated from the rest, having one part brother, one part sister. Even IRL there are individuals which have different DNA for different body regions, but it's unlikely as it origins -in one case at least- from different off-springs merged in an early state of pregnancy.
    I heard about that first, in a criminal movie where they made a story of the case in which the sperms had a different DNA than the mouth from which DNA-tests were taken. But I think it is not entirely fictional (one girl has 2 heads, originating from a later-stage merging of twins, but that comes with a lot of problems. Companies could be unsure whether to pay once or twice! Maybe twice in an intellectual job?)

I think that some aspects of it should be realistic:
    • Bastards of alien-differentAlien-combinations should mainly belong to one instead of both species.
    • One piece being responsible for many Aspects.
    • Variable choices that can dominate each other.
    • Gens that disable when another is dominant or doesn't exist (male, female).
    It should not be hyper-realistic (so that you can copy it 1-to-1 into reality and get a living animal) but at least offer many easier-to-implement quirks to keep it not entirely unrelated either.

You should have some freedom or even the ability to unlink 2 characteristics from each other, but there should always be a penalty : less fertility, de-buffs in abilities, …
    This penalty should occur in the majority (maybe 9/10) cases to remind players of the dangers of this subject.

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    I think that some aspects of it should be realistic:
    • Bastards of alien-differentAlien-combinations should mainly belong to one instead of both species.
    • One piece being responsible for many Aspects.
    • Variable choices that can dominate each other.
    • Gens that disable when another is dominant or doesn't exist (male, female).
    It should not be hyper-realistic (so that you can copy it 1-to-1 into reality and get a living animal) but at least offer many easier-to-implement quirks to keep it not entirely unrelated either.
    In relation to this idea, I think it's awesome first of all, but I think it should be more open.

I think species that have close enough genomes should be able to breed and create half species and mixes.

They must have a % match requirement, so for instance if 50% of their genomes match, they have a 1% chance to successfully procreate. This is the lowest match to possibly do it.
    If 51% of their genomes match, they have a 2% chance to successfully procreate.
    If 52% of their genomes match, they have a 3% chance to successfully procreate.
    If 89% of their genomes match, they have a 39% chance to successfully procreate.
    Continue with the pattern here until you get to 90% of a match, then up the likelihood from 39% to 50% and then add 5% per level from there till you get to 100% match 100% chance to procreate (AKA same species).

This may be less realistic, but it adds an element of sophistication and uniqueness to the game that, if possible to do, you do not have in any other game. (Barring Spore maybe kinda lol)

Let me know what you think

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    This is an aspect of NPC's that we have not discussed among the team. For the moment, the most that we have planned is that you will be encountering factions that you can help or hurt in space. We have yet to discuss the possibility of non-space-faring species that are in other stages of civilization. I will keep this in mind when we start getting into these procedural factions.