Art Suggestions for Realistic Texture Set

Would you like to see: (select all that apply)

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Just a few quick suggestions for down the line with textures and blocks (I use the realistic set, so that's my point of reference for these ideas visually, but I imagine they would work just as well in the other sets, too). All of these are intended to provide more decorative options for the blocks -- cause who doesn't like a little bling on their builds? :p

First, I'd like to suggest that water be given an animated texture, just enough to give it a bit of a shifting shimmery look. It could probably be done with 2 frames, but 3 or 4 might produce a smoother flow (like with lava). Water is commonly used for décor purposes, such as for open-world water (lakes, pools, etc) and as "force fields" on ships and stations. It also makes a nice Stargate-ish effect when laid over ice crystals, imho ^_^ A light animation would enhance all of those uses!

Secondly, I'd like to suggest that glass be given a very slight tint -- similar to that currently used with water, but perhaps 25-50% more transparent. Just enough to give the glass a slight opaque sheen without overly distracting from the great views ;) (I know someone else mentioned this on the previous site, I just wanted to make sure it was re-mentioned here so it didn't slip under the radar hehe!)

And lastly, I'd like to suggest something a bit more complicated: the addition of panels as a new block shape option.

The panels would use the full space of a normal block, but would only be physically visible as a thin panel, perhaps using no more than 1/4 of one face of the block area. The remaining "empty" space of the block should be open and non-physical, allowing our avatars to walk directly on the visible surface (such as when place on a floor) instead of floating in the air above it. Panels should have zero armor/health value -- they would be completely cosmetic.

For example, a panel of "Dirt Grass Planet Terrain" would essentially be a slab of sod... a panel of water would appear as a shallow puddle... a PlexLight panel (or an Ice Crystal or Lava panel) would be a thin light, like a modern LED light panel... a panel of a "decorative panel" block would make an ideal flatscreen monitor or console... etc.

The idea is to give us decorative options that won't require us to sacrifice functionality for fashion, so to speak. Instead of cutting a layer of armor or shields or some other unit out to make room for lights and decorative blocks, or crowding our internal areas with an extra layer of "stuff," we could instead place a panel over those functional elements, hiding them from view while giving our ship, station, or base a nice professional look.

The non-physical attribute of the panels would allow us to move around unhindered, without getting hung up on invisible corners, and I would further suggest that the panels be allowed to rotate to fit on any of the six faces of the normal block area.

I hope you'll consider these ideas next time you decide to update the art! The 1401 update looks exquisite graphically, and I imagine it will just get better as more updates roll out! :D

Reaction score
    I dig everything about this, but imo the panels should be something like the paintings in minecraft, specifically the ones from the mass effect theme ones on xbox, when i saw those starmade was the first thing I thought of.

Reaction score
    Minecraft is actually what gave me the idea for panels hehe! There's a Minecraft mod (I've used so many, I don't remember which one tho haha!) that added panels... you'd split a block into two half-height slabs, and a slab into four panels about as thin as a pressure plate. It was a handy way to make things like wallpaper, carpeting, hanging tapestries, or ship sails using panels of colored wool :D

Reaction score
    As long as it doesn't make the game feel clunky and cold, like the default one seems too.

Reaction score
    I don't see why there's a poll, since it's not really a choice, the ideas all sound great >_<

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The glass texture was a personal choice of Kupo, there has been some discussion as to adding it back though. The original texture is transparent with just a blueish tint.

There should eventually be actual liquids in the game so they will probably get animated textures.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh yeah here's a simple but needed texture addition, give the faction block it's own texture.
    Since you brought up that topic, I'd also like a separate texture for the build block as well.

And while we're at it, the sprites for the manufacturing materials should be changed. It just seems like the textures for them were determined by a completely random process with little regard to the other textures. Also, there shouldn't be any repeats.

Reactions: DarthHonky

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Doors need to change to something more generic that doesn't say "AIRLOCK" on it. Or we need multiple types of door. Faction and Build Blocks need textures, and there need to be more aesthetic screen blocks. Factory blocks (And the new Activation and Delay Blocks) need textures that look more like what they are and less completely generic... And when are we going to get the new crystal colors?

Last edited:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Iskandar Thanks for the well written suggestion. Certainly makes a change! ^_^

I'll try to respond to everyones posts point by point in a list if thats ok?

- Glass blocks.
    These are currently undergoing adjustments. I'm hoping to strike a balance between transparency for gameplay reasons and definition for build mode. I won't reinstate the frosted glass effect from the old days, but with the new shaped blocks we do need a more legible texture.

- Animated water.
    Yes. It's becoming more and more common on ships and hopefully integrated into world gen' later on in development. I will personally push for animated water with 4 frames like lava.

- Panels.
    This is more than a texture question, but implementing new blocks and mechanics. Not my field i'm afraid.
    Can't answer it for you.

- Doors.
    They've been redone to better tile generically over massive sections (hangar doors for example).
    Along with a few more changes to existing blocks that i'll discuss in a few days.

- Build block.
    This will have it's own unique texture.

- Faction block.
    This already has its own texture, i assume you meant the build block? See above :)

-Activation block.
    For those of you who watched the charity stream and wondered why the hell a factory block was being used as an activator, it's because we don't have a activation block texture yet. Who would of thought it eh?

- Crystal blocks.
    The crystal block textures were burnt in a fire upon reading the feedback when they were announced.

Thanks for the feedback / suggestions.
    There is a notable graphical patch i have planned soon for the textures. So if you have a minor tweak or bug that needs fixing do let me know!

Edit. Missed one.

Since you brought up that topic, I'd also like a separate texture for the build block as well.

And while we're at it, the sprites for the manufacturing materials should be changed. It just seems like the textures for them were determined by a completely random process with little regard to the other textures. Also, there shouldn't be any repeats.
    You're partly right.

The original designs for those were done by the old artist. I simply did a paint over to a) remove his work, b) step it up from pixel art.

I would love to draw up unique textures for each object / ore etc, but being in alpha the game changes a lot and having to repaint relatively misc objects when a newer system comes in would be wasting everyones time. To save ourselves from that situation, things like paint canisters are taking a back seat until systems are more final or the need for them increases.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    Thanks for the response, Kupu! :D I'm really looking forward to the graphic patch -- you seem to outdo yourself with each one! ^_^

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wait, the new crystals were ditched?

Also, in terms of minor tweaks do you think you could change the textures of the proteins and paints to be a little more unified? (Give the A1000 protein one marking of a specific color, the A2000 two markings, the A3000 three markings, etc., as opposed to the each has a random, different color)

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Wait, the new crystals were ditched?

Also, in terms of minor tweaks do you think you could change the textures of the proteins and paints to be a little more unified? (Give the A1000 protein one marking of a specific color, the A2000 two markings, the A3000 three markings, etc., as opposed to the each has a random, different color)
    I'll add it to the list. It might not be immediate, but i'll get round to it.

As for the crystals? Ha, no their not ditched...

Reaction score
    It's not a particularly big issue, but I wouldn't mind seeing a little bit more visual distinctiveness with the ores, either... they're visible enough as-is when mining, but just looking at the icon alone usually isn't enough to tell most of them apart.

While it's a very cartoon-inspired look, BDCraft (http://bdcraft.net/) does a really nice job with giving ores a unique look in their Minecraft texture pack. They make use of a very vibrant color scheme, giving each type of ore a different color and pattern. We have a bit more variety of ores in StarMade though, even before getting into the different tiers of them, so it may not be feasible to give each a completely unique vibrant color like BDCraft does.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    You and me both. However for now i'll have to quote myself from a post just above you :p

I would love to draw up unique textures for each object / ore etc, but being in alpha the game changes a lot and having to repaint relatively misc objects when a newer system comes in would be wasting everyones time.

ps. yea, quite a few more. 80 in total for the minerals.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    As for the crystals? Ha, no their not ditched...
    Good we need more natural looking glowing lights. I'm hoping for a deeper blue myself. There was also some talk about having decorative blocks that could actually be linked to things like weapons and thrusters in order to change the appearance, do you have any information on that?

Reaction score
    haha! I can understand that! :D I spent close to two weeks working with one client who insisted on seeing every single PMS red variant in her logo! Drove... me... insane... :eek:

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Good we need more natural looking glowing lights. I'm hoping for a deeper blue myself. There was also some talk about having decorative blocks that could actually be linked to things like weapons and thrusters in order to change the appearance, do you have any information on that?
    Sounds like conjecture.

There was a particle editor showcased in the charity stream. It allows players in single player to alter the weapon / thrust / misc' particle effects to whatever they please. It's an admin only tool on multiplayer servers to prevent exploits.

I'm not 100% sure on much more than that i'm afraid. It's potentially possible to make a block that emits a particle as decoration, but i have no knowledge of it being linked to the master / slave system.

Also yes, after testing a deeper blue crystal light, i want one in the game too. :)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Sounds like conjecture.

There was a particle editor showcased in the charity stream. It allows players in single player to alter the weapon / thrust / misc' particle effects to whatever they please. It's an admin only tool on multiplayer servers to prevent exploits.
    I'm pretty sure it was brought up and briefly discussed in that large Q & A stream aways back