Armour should be cheaper

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I personally don't think that armour should be stronger like many other people think (the hp system will make it make more sense and also on a smaller scale armour is very effective actually) but I think that it should be cheaper to manufacture. It is a lot easier to produce a ton of shields, but not so easy to produce a ton of advanced armour.

I like the look of advanced armour, and I don't like to be forced to use cheap plastic hulls instead of advanced armour which anyway doesn't nearly benefit the ship as much as shields do.

And plus due to the new blueprint system, players will now be trying to build with blocks the cheapest and meanest ships, meaning advanced armour will also be more or less useless, which is why it should be cheaper. I recommend scaling down the costs to produce by a few factors.

Calbiri what do you think?

Last edited:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Advanced armor is actually pretty good for small versus small ships, their shields don't last long anyway.

I still think armor should have more HP (+50HP) and maybe 10% more armor, in combination with piercing that would allow a more pure armor ship to actually fight and defeat a similar sized ship that only uses shields.

We don't know anything solid about the HP system yet and it will probably take months before it's put in a dev or release build. That should not be an excuse to not adjust the armor/hp values a bit.

And if it should be easier to make? I don't really know, the latest patch drastically improved the speed of which you can gather resources, that on its own makes everything a lot easier to make.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think you're right, aceface
    Unlike shields that are clearly transistors and electronic stuff for the most part, armor should be "cheap" to produce, at least the two first tiers (maybe not the most advanced armor)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think you're right, aceface
    Unlike shields that are clearly transistors and electronic stuff for the most part, armor should be "cheap" to produce, at least the two first tiers (maybe not the most advanced armor)
    Basic hull and standard armor aren't the problem, advanced armor is. It is three times as durable as standard armor, but costs eleven times as many capsules.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Advanced armor is actually pretty good for small versus small ships, their shields don't last long anyway.

I still think armor should have more HP (+50HP) and maybe 10% more armor, in combination with piercing that would allow a more pure armor ship to actually fight and defeat a similar sized ship that only uses shields.

We don't know anything solid about the HP system yet and it will probably take months before it's put in a dev or release build. That should not be an excuse to not adjust the armor/hp values a bit.

And if it should be easier to make? I don't really know, the latest patch drastically improved the speed of which you can gather resources, that on its own makes everything a lot easier to make.
    Still like Malacodor said, they should not cost so damn much.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Advanced armor can be around 9 to 10 times stronger than the default previous tier armor, and probably more once calbiri buffs it a bit more.

200 hp + (50+30)% armor results in 1000 HP with piercing, else it is 400.
    100 HP + (25+30)% armor results in 222 HP with piercing, else it is 133.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Advanced armor can be around 9 to 10 times stronger than the default previous tier armor, and probably more once calbiri buffs it a bit more.

200 hp + (50+30)% armor results in 1000 HP with piercing, else it is 400.
    100 HP + (25+30)% armor results in 222 HP with piercing, else it is 133.
    Rather 7.5 times, and only when comparing apples with oranges (buffed versus unbuffed), else it's just 4.5 times (buffed) or 3 times (unbuffed or versus piercing weapons). For the full effect 10% of the ship has to consist of expensive piercing effect blocks.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    It's actually PUNCH that provides the passive armor boost effect. Pierce provides resistance to carry-through damage from active punch, pierce, and possibly explosive and missiles, though I'm not sure about those.

On topic, I agree. Advanced should cost twice overall the cost of standard, not the ridiculous amount it does currently.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    It's actually PUNCH that provides the passive armor boost effect. Pierce provides resistance to carry-through damage from active punch, pierce, and possibly explosive and missiles, though I'm not sure about those.

On topic, I agree. Advanced should cost twice overall the cost of standard, not the ridiculous amount it does currently.
    You are incorrect.

• Piercing adds armor equal to its % to all blocks on that ship.
    • Punch through is the one that cancels out piercing or punch through effects (those are basically the same now).

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    You are incorrect.

• Piercing adds armor equal to its % to all blocks on that ship.
    • Punch through is the one that cancels out piercing or punch through effects (those are basically the same now).
    Weapons Graph.png

Graph released by the devs.

Punch boosts armor, pierce reduced pierce/punch damage.

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Hmm, seems like you're right, after checking the game and chat. When did that change?
    Since the first time I really tested it.
    + if punch through was indeed what you said it would do, we would have invincible armor (max cap is 80%) :D

EDIT: It was that way before he released that graph
    Probably forgot it was switched around.

Reaction score
    Until there's an easy way to repair damage to my ship, I'm going to continue overloading shields and not letting damage happen to my ships so I rarely use expensive armors unless they look right for the situation. This also means that I'm not building small ships because I need a lot of shield blocks to deter damage happening.