Armour resistance block

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    We all know that as things stand right now, shields are the 'go to' block for raising the survivability of your ship while armour is for decoration, and has little use in protecting your ship. This is where the armour resistance block woul come in.

Let's say that armour has 1000HP and has a natural resistance of 50%. A hit of 500 would be resisted by 50% and it's damage would be 250.

The resistance block would further reduce the damage by 1% of the remaining damage done. Therefore with one resistance block it would reduce the damage by a further 0.5% resulting in a resistance rating of 50.5%. If we add another resistance block, the remaining damage is now 49.5% so the block would add 0.495 to the amount of damage resisted, meaning we are now resisting 50.995% of the damage so the same 500 points of damage would now do 246.02 damage. So now let's add a third block. This time the remaining damage is 49.005 of its initial value, and 1% is 0.49. So added to the resistance of the other blocks and the hull we now resist 51.485% of the damage so we would take 242.57 damage.

Now I am not a maths genius so I don't know the formula to work out the resistance for a given number of blocks (perhaps someone can?) but you can see that for each additional block added the amount resisted decreases proportionately otherwise you would just slap on 50 of these for 100% resistance.

Please keep in mind these numbers are just to show the effect and are not ment to be a true reflection of the in game numbers. Depending upon the actual in game data the values could be scaled up or down depending on the actual results.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'m not as keen on the armour block but I understand what you\'re saying. However the negative exponential nature of the effects of the block sounds like something that should definetly implemented. It would balance the game quite well in my opinion, it seems more relevant and somewhat more true to some sort of shielding device. Like adding components in an electrical circuit, there will always be some resistance so adding components of a certain effect decrease it\'s effect each time you add one. Quite interesting if you ask me. Good suggestion, I have absolutely no idea how difficult it would be to program though but it\'s quite mathimatical so I assume there is a formula that could be used in some way.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I do believe that is called a valency generator (plausibility confirmed), and creates stronger bonds between atoms (blocks). It only really needs to be a percentage system of the armour inherent to what\'s already part of the block. So, if a block has a resistance of one (1), then a block such as this would, for instance, increase it by half:

1*1.5=1.5

Then, the next blok increases that by half:

1.5*0.5+1=1.75

And the next block:

1.75*0.5+1=1.875

Now, two variable here are:

a) The preset dmg resistance of a piece of hull (or any block)

b) The actual data value for the dmg resist increase. I reckon the formula could do it, as it has a rather exponential drop-off in effect near the end compared to the first few blocks, rather than a geometric increase all the way through. Hope this helps, and that I haven\'t been spewing shit this past 5 minutes.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Exact details aside, this has probably been suggested before though :) armor/weapon balance needs some tweaking anyway, but I can see these hardeners being part of the solution.