Armor?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm wondering what the plan is for armor? I want to prepare my ships for an armor patch or will it just never mater?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Armour blocks have high HP, which is to tie in with the HP system I think (which we have no details on). For now, it helps protect against small weapon fire for a bit.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I suspect it will use averages and abstractions, such that if you have nothing but advanced armor and a decent amount of it, it will simply subtract 50% from the weapon damage before knocking off hit points. If you have less than a certain block requirement of armor, it will have correspondingly less armor effect. this is just my supposition, but I'd say that is a strong probability.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    wait... will the entire ship be one entity with hp or will we still use a howl chewing tactic?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    From what I gather, all the blocks will add to a HP pool, and ships will overheat depending on the number of blocks destroyed? All I know is it renders Core-drilling as impossible and should make armour useful.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    That will make armor tanking viable too. right now you need to replace all the blocks that get hit. just tank some damage and get hit up with a repair ship after battle.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Very little is known about the HP system. Just that hull tanking will be viable.

You can currently get effectively 1000 HP out of each hardened hull block if you use full passive pierce effect. This is effective defense if you layer it up until you get out of "corvette" class ships, at which point weapon damage is too high and hull too expensive to put down beyond basic or standard. Seriously, who thought it was a good idea for hardened hull to take 11 times as many capsules as standard?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I just thought of something that makes me feel like an idiot for suggesting it but has to be said: Why not just make armor's damage reducing effects work constantly / even when the shield is still up?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I just thought of something that makes me feel like an idiot for suggesting it but has to be said: Why not just make armor's damage reducing effects work constantly / even when the shield is still up?
    Only problem with that is...

50% + 30% + 60% = 140% armor rating. If you remember when the new effect system was first added, you could go over 100% effectiveness with Ion, which made damage HEAL YOU.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    So, currently and hopefully, this new HP system will create a difference between basic - standard - advanced hulls....

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    You can currently get effectively 1000 HP out of each hardened hull block if you use full passive pierce effect.
    Are we 'absolutely' certain that it is piecre that gives this armor bonus effect? Calbiri's chart indicates that it is punch, not piece.

And what happens if you have both running simultaneously?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Are we 'absolutely' certain that it is piecre that gives this armor bonus effect? Calbiri's chart indicates that it is punch, not piece.

And what happens if you have both running simultaneously?
    It was swapped. Pierce gives the armor bonus, Punch gives resistance to Pierce, Punch, and possibly Explosive offensive effects.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Wo wo wo.... You can slave stuff to your armor?! And make stuff heal you?

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Wo wo wo.... You can slave stuff to your armor?! And make stuff heal you?
    You know the effect system? You can run those computers on their own to gain defensive effects.

As for healing, there's a support beam. They're currently pretty useless because blocks are rarely left around after a battle with less than full HP. They'll be more useful in the future with the HP system, though,

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    i know the support systems but i thought they where only good for making guns better. like canon,canon,explosive give's you a rapid fire gun with exploding shells.

D

Deleted member 433088

i know the support systems but i thought they where only good for making guns better. like canon,canon,explosive give's you a rapid fire gun with exploding shells.
    They are useful for that, but they also have defensive purposes when not linked to weapons. This thread has a very handy chart for the results of linking each weapon and support system.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    So if i add EMP without slaving it to a gun my ship will get emp resist?

D

Deleted member 433088

So if i add EMP without slaving it to a gun my ship will get emp resist?
    Apparently, according to what's stated in that chart and in the game itself. However I'm not yet in a position to test it myself.