Aren't Blueprint Items and Designs Redundant?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Why do we have both blueprints and designs?
    As far as I am aware the blueprint item is only useful for making a design in the shipyard.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    blueprints are still used for stations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    That makes sense. But I still don't see why shipyards have to make a design from a blueprint, and why they don't just use a blueprint.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    It will most likely get stream lined in the future. But for now, construction in progress.

Reaction score
    I would assume that now that starmade is getting some zoning tools and with the introductions of designs blueprints will be phased out or their functionality will be made admin only.

From what i remember reading advanced build mode for ships is going to be removed as well and large projects will be relegated to the shipyards which is honestly more convenient anyways because creative building in survival mode is more convenient.

(as a sidebar i'm all for removing advanced build mode from ships being able to phase through enemy ships and stations looking for important areas/blocks is a bad gameplay mechanic.)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think we are in a transition period right now for blueprints and designs. As has been mentioned blueprints and adv. build mode are likely to evolve/change.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I don't think I'd like to see advanced build mode go away for ships, unless you're just taking it away from using it through the core. Wouldn't be so bad if you could still use a build block. Want to keep people from using it to look for critical components, prevent it from use for a time after being fired upon or if your own weapons have fired. I think it would be hard to use in combat myself, so I can't imagine how it would be that much of an issue unless it was happening well before engagement.

I'd hope if they take away blueprints it's just for spawning purposes. Leave it restricted to admins, but leave blueprints in. The shipyard can make them and make designs from them now so they are still shareable outside the server or game. Non admins should be restricted from using them for spawning if the server admins wish. If used with a shipyard, they require you to have all the things you'd need anyways, and have a time cost too. Perhaps they will have the design item create a .sment file though, or have a new way to share ships and things in mind if they completely do away with blueprints and it won't matter. I wouldn't want to see design sharing go away. There are a lot of cool constructions out there.

Reactions: Asvarduil

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There is something of a use to blueprints aside from stations. They're static rather than changeable, and they don't get corrupted as easily as designs... They provide a good backup. But once the game is more stable and the station design construction system is in, I'd like for us to start looking at a way to unite the two.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Blueprints can be exported/imported. Designs cannot. Blueprints are much more meta, designs are completely an in-game item.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Blueprints can be constructed anywhere but designs require a shipyard.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Blueprints can be constructed anywhere but designs require a shipyard.
    This capability will probably change. It is mostly needed because shipyards are buggy and because you can't build station blueprints using an equivalent to the shipyard system yet.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This capability will probably change. It is mostly needed because shipyards are buggy and because you can't build station blueprints using an equivalent to the shipyard system yet.
    I would rather the kept them. Shipyards aren't practical when you're just starting out on a survival server until you establish yourself a bit.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Shipyards have received several bug fixes in the most recent update. Also, the new starting station will have (small) shipyards available for new players.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Shipyards aren't practical when you're just starting out on a survival server until you establish yourself a bit.
    If I recall, The new spawn station (shown off at twitchcon) has multiple small shipyards for players to start with. I am assuming that they will do something to stop players from steeling materials from each other on the station.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If I recall, The new spawn station (shown off at twitchcon) has multiple small shipyards for players to start with. I am assuming that they will do something to stop players from steeling materials from each other on the station.
    Agreed but admins (at least the ones I've come across) generally don't want new players hanging around the spawn too long, assuming they even decide to use 2 2 2 as the spawn.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    any idea why said admins don't like new players near spawn?? That seems like the logical place for them to hang out to me lol.