Area trigger corner

Reaction score
    I've been using some game development engine editors, and areas it's always something I've used a lot. On those, you'll usually use a basic geometric shape (f.e. a cube) that will detect when something passes through them.

In starmade nowadays we have the trigger area block, but it's very hard to use when we're talking about detecting presence in a zone, specially if this zone is open or full of things.

Thats why I want to suggest a new area design method. Imagine a "Area trigger corner" block. You place some of them, and linked they'll form an area where every block it's a vertex. You'll be able to link to the other logic blocks as we do now.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    I've done a fair amount of work in dev kits as well, but I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by this. I feel a cuboid area trigger (which I think it is now though I'm not sure) would cover the need for this. Are you thinking specifically for astronauts? Or for any ships entering/exiting?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've been using some game development engine editors, and areas it's always something I've used a lot. On those, you'll usually use a basic geometric shape (f.e. a cube) that will detect when something passes through them.

In starmade nowadays we have the trigger area block, but it's very hard to use when we're talking about detecting presence in a zone, specially if this zone is open or full of things.

Thats why I want to suggest a new area design method. Imagine a "Area trigger corner" block. You place some of them, and linked they'll form an area where every block it's a vertex. You'll be able to link to the other logic blocks as we do now.
    1. For those confused, I think he's talking about a trigger brush that is "activated" when a point (typically the point that represents the core of the player character) is found within its boundaries. Some games use other shapes for activation brushes. I'm familiar with Quake 2 that could use any convex shape (wedges, pyramids (aka tetras), dodecahedrons, etc.) for brushes.

2. This is why I recommend a change to the basic signal generated from an area activation block. Instead of a switch between On/Off, I recommend that the area activation block be "On" as long as someone or something is touching an area block. Then when that player or thing leaves the area, the area activation block automatically turns "Off". Currently, to turn it off, you have to leave the area and come back into it to switch the state to "Off", which strikes me as bizarre. Plus, it wouldn't take many logic blocks to simulate the current behavior, so you wouldn't really lose anything with such a change.

3. It's an interesting idea, and I like the way that you can quickly create a giant area effect without needing a freight-load of area blocks (only 8 needed, one for each corner of a cubic area), but you'll still need single-block areas for detailed sensor work. I wonder if you could link 'em up with C and V to create individual lines of area detection with two blocks (one at each end of the line, as long as they line up on one of the axes), and then three ore four corners to create a 1-block thick area wall, and then all 8 corners for any arbitrary cuboid volume. (I'd kind of like to see this done with plexdoors too! I have a plan for a giant cubioid hanger door that must contain hundreds of plexdoor blocks.)

Reaction score
    jayman38 nailed it, thank you for explaining it better, my English is not very good :(

2 - Completely agree. After opening the thread I was thinking in the event system. I think we'll need more events linked to the area triggers:
    2.1 On enter: Triggered when something enters the area. It'll send a single signal, perfect to "enable gravity" system.
    2.1 On exit. Same as above, but triggered when something exits the area.
    2.2 While inside. Sends a constant "On" signal meanwhile something it's inside.

If you think 2.2 can be achieved with an activation block and the two first events, the difference it's when there's two people inside and the first exits, it will de-activate the activation block, but there's someone inside. With 2.2 will only be de-activated when noone it's inside.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    On Enter - Maybe a signal only sent to an AND?
    On Exit - Maybe a signal only sent to an OR?

While inside - Maybe only sent to a button?
    OR
    Until inside - Maybe only sent to a NOT?

But I fear you can't trigger gravity from everything but a button.

Maybe for now an While Inside is sufficient, but if Enter/Exit could be used to count peoples inside a room... :)