Are near invulnerable shields a good tactic?

Reaction score
    Hahaha Graf Spee????? Terrible vessel. Oversized, underarmored, and generally outmatched. It was doing a cruiser's job, it was just being a bigger target while doing it.
    River Platte was an interesting battle (Really showed the weaknesses of the panzerschiff [Read: destroyed reputations]) but was more of a running action, as I remember, because the admiral about the Spee realized he was outmatched. I believe he made it to port, was told by the Argentinians that "we don't serve your kind here", and the scuttled his vessel out in the harbor. I could be wrong, though. I'm tired and really shouldn't be writing a rant. That said, I'm going to continue! YEAH FAULTY REASONING AND STUPID STATEMENTS!

Yeah, I understand all that about the Bismarck, but it was still a well-protected yet overall balanced design. Even after it was crippled, though, it took the British battleships to the limits of their fuel---they didn't even sink the Bismarck, a light cruiser had to go in a torpedo her.

The commanding officer of the group, a rear admiral aboard the Norfolk, I believe, ordered the then-badly-outmatched Prince of Wales out of the fight, as it was a new ship, with at least one gun out of commission, with a new crew, who made new-crew mistakes, and so could not finish the fight. The Hood itself, however, most likely did NOT get destroyed due to a magazine hit. British cordite in WWII was much more like WWI German cordite, in that it did NOT explode uncontrollably, usually. Also, British precautions and magazine armor had improved beyond all recognition on the battlecruisers. So, no, it was probably not the cordite. When did Prinz Eugen get mentioned? The Hood went down when its own torpedoes went off. Most people thought it was a repeat of Jutland (Three or four British battlecruisers exploded in similar fashion. Took hits to 'Q' turret, sudden, massive explosion, ship gone), but two boards of enquiry thought it was something else---Hood's magazines were too well protected, German armor-piercing shell too ineffective, to have reached the magazines. Like I said, it was probably the torpedoes stored amidships. If not, it might have been the antiaircraft gun ammunition stores, which were much less armored, closer to the outside, and may have set off the main battery magazines. But we'll probably never know for certain, as it's very hard to know what you're looking at when what you're looking at is 80 years old, rusty, and has the minor issue of having been exploded.
    With regards to the Graf spee, the British felt that they couldn't contain her with what they had left after the battle. The British ambassador in Montevideo had local British radios report that British reinforcements had arrived. The captain had the Graf spee scuttled because he didn't think he'd make it past a whole fleet, and didn't want his crew to die on a suicide run. Soon after the sinking, he committed suicide in German friendly Buenos Aries.

I brought up the Prinz Eugen because I am an idiot lol.

I don't think my reasoning is faulty though. You generally want to hit harder than to it opponent can take, and you generally want fights over asap.

Reaction score
    Yeah. Battleships are a bit different than SM combat, however, as is all the other IRL examples, because in SM there are no one-shot-kill devices. Unless, of course, you're going up against a massively larger vessel. This means that protection is usually not as important as the ability to eliminate your enemies quickly. IRL, you care about what's inside. Such as a tank's crew, or a battleship's magazines. In SM? Not really. So taking hits doesn't matter as much. Just kill them faster and you will usually win. Assuming, of course, you don't get wrecked by missiles hitting your not-shielded-well-enough exposed-systems "min-maxed" piece of garbage.

Reaction score
    Yeah. Battleships are a bit different than SM combat, however, as is all the other IRL examples, because in SM there are no one-shot-kill devices. Unless, of course, you're going up against a massively larger vessel. This means that protection is usually not as important as the ability to eliminate your enemies quickly. IRL, you care about what's inside. Such as a tank's crew, or a battleship's magazines. In SM? Not really. So taking hits doesn't matter as much. Just kill them faster and you will usually win. Assuming, of course, you don't get wrecked by missiles hitting your not-shielded-well-enough exposed-systems "min-maxed" piece of garbage.
    Lol very true. It's best to find a good balance between defense and offense. Its just not very effective in SM to devote the majority of your mass to shields at the expense of offensive capability.

Reaction score
    Assuming, of course, you don't get wrecked by missiles hitting your not-shielded-well-enough exposed-systems "min-maxed" piece of garbage.
    this is true... although if youre getting hit by a significant amount of missiles in a "minmaxed" ship, youre doing something wrong

Reaction score
    Very true. I'm saying, though, don't take DPS/mass to the extreme. Or else, you dead, sucker.