Are energy generators still relevant?

Reaction score
    I'm asking because I'm making a medium-large ship (320, 110, 80) and since rail mass enhancers alone eat 40k e/s I expect to hit the softcap pretty fast once I install other systems.
    Do power generators still work with power transfer beams or is the child>parent power transfer automatic now?

I'm thinking about putting two 30*20*20 generators in my ship.
    Any advice on how to get the most out of those dimensions?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Docked ship giving power to mothership still uses the power supply beams.

I'm not an expert on docked reactors, so I'll defer that efficiency question to someone else.

Reaction score
    You don't need to use rail mass enhancers as those are for moving entity and generators are usually static.

Yes, they still are completely viable way of generating power. You need to use power supply beam for them now though as they removed the ability of mothership to hit docked entity.

Reaction score
    Hi,

I'm asking because I'm making a medium-large ship (320, 110, 80) and since rail mass enhancers alone eat 40k e/s I expect to hit the softcap pretty fast once I install other systems.
    Do power generators still work with power transfer beams or is the child>parent power transfer automatic now?

I'm thinking about putting two 30*20*20 generators in my ship.
    Any advice on how to get the most out of those dimensions?
    Some random notes based on my (recent) research on large ship design... Note that none of this applies to small ships.

The problem is thrust - specifically; getting enough power regen to sustain "barely acceptable" manoeuvrability. Because of the cripplingly retarded turn speed of "medium or larger" ships you need to compensate by building ships with a huge amount of thrust, and then adjusting the thrust settings so that it's more like "75% thrust for turning, 25% thrust for lateral movement".

Thrusters have "diminishing returns" - more thrusters on an entity (ship) means worse thruster efficiency and worse "thrust per power per second". To reduce "thrust per power per second", you want to use"docked thrust" and multiple entities/ships; ideally (but not necessarily) balanced across all (so there's the same number of thruster blocks on each docked entity as you have on the mother-ship).

Even with 100 "docked thrust cells" (plus the mother-ship's relatively insignificant built-in thrust) it is impossible to get enough power regeneration for thrust. You must also use docked power generators. You have no choice.

This leads to conclusion #1: You want docked "cells" that provide both power (via. power supply beam) and thrust.

For the power supply beams themselves, with a single power supply beam and no cannon blocks, you get 4 ticks of supplying power, then 6 ticks of nothing (where 1 tick = 0.5 second). This means that (assuming 2.0 million e/sec regen) you generate 10 million e in 5 seconds and have to deliver that 10 million e in 2 seconds (with a "2.5 million e per tick" power supply beam), and you have to store a minimum of 12 million e in power capacitors. This is a bad idea (a lot more blocks for power supply beams and power capacitors than necessary). Also, multiple cells all tend to end up synchronised when you log in; so this causes "lurching" power supply in the mothership.

Using cannons as a secondary slave to the power supply beam is broken. It gives you faster reload and halves the power consumed/supplied per tick, but the additional cannon blocks don't contribute to the power consumed/supplied by the beam at all. The end result is that you need twice as many blocks to deliver the same amount of power.

Instead; put 2 power supply beams on each cell, so that you get 4 ticks of "beam #1", a 1-tick gap, then 4 ticks of "beam #2". In this case you only need to be able to store a minimum of 1 million e in power tanks (enough to cover 1 tick of 0.5 seconds) and you do get an almost constant supply.

I've gone through the maths, and the breakdown for a cell ends up being (approximately):
    • 6665 power supply beam blocks, which consume an average of 2.0 million e/sec of power and deliver 1.6 e/sec to the mother-ship
    • approximately (it depends on layout) 4200 power generator blocks to achieve about 2.1 million e/sec power regen
    • a minimum of 720 power capacitors to store 1 million e (more to cover lag bursts if necessary)
    • About 12 blocks of "misc. stuff" (2 power supply beam computers, logic blocks, ship's core, whatever)
    • As many thruster blocks as you can.
    Without any thrusters, this adds up to around 11600 blocks; which means that 30*20*20 is close to the bare minimum size (nowhere near large enough for an adequate amount of thrust). My cells are 19*55*302 (enough for about 302 thousand thruster blocks, but still nowhere near large enough for ideal thruster block balance).

For the logic; I use "or ->delay block->delay block->delay block->delay block ->delay block->inverter->" where the last delay block is connected to "power supply computer #1" and the inverter is connected to "power supply computer #2".

The other thing I should point out is that jump drive works on the total mass (including all docked entities) and is the second biggest challenge. Scanner/antennas only works on the mother-ship's mass (excluding all docked entities) and usually isn't a problem.

EDIT: Miscounted the delay blocks earlier - you need 5 of them (not 4).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Thrusters have "diminishing returns" - more thrusters on an entity (ship) means worse thruster efficiency and worse "thrust per power per second". To reduce "thrust per power per second", you want to use"docked thrust" and multiple entities/ships; ideally (but not necessarily) balanced across all (so there's the same number of thruster blocks on each docked entity as you have on the mother-ship).
    Actually that seems either broken or completely unneeded. You see, docked thrusters don't give you full thrust from docked entity, but they consume power as if they are using them entirely.
    The amount of thrust seems to fluctuate between 0.2 to 0.25. That makes them completely useless due to horrible inefficiency which is even worse if you chaindock them.
    Say your docked thruster has 3000 thrust, but your main ship will only get ~600 yet using full amount of power.

Reaction score
    I seem to recall it being mentioned that docked thrusters not providing 1:1 thrust was a glitch.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Using cannons as a secondary slave to the power supply beam is broken. It gives you faster reload and halves the power consumed/supplied per tick, but the additional cannon blocks don't contribute to the power consumed/supplied by the beam at all. The end result is that you need twice as many blocks to deliver the same amount of power.
    I just re-tested it (v0.19549) and my modular reactor with 2000 power supply blocks transfers about 2 mil energy in 2.5 seconds. Slaving 2000 cannon blocks doesn't change this, but reduces the cooldown, thus increasing the transferred energy per second, as it should do. I don't see anything broken there.

I seem to recall it being mentioned that docked thrusters not providing 1:1 thrust was a glitch.
    Yes, T1020. There are some more bugs that have to be taken into account as well. There's one or two with logic activated beam duration (T46, T774), so you might need more power supply beam blocks than in theory. If the energy production is lower than what the power supply beams consume (e.g. due to missile damage, T942), then the modular reactor will empty its reserves, stop producing energy and draw energy from the mothership instead, thus turning into an energy destroyer (T340).

Reaction score
    Actually that seems either broken or completely unneeded. You see, docked thrusters don't give you full thrust from docked entity, but they consume power as if they are using them entirely.
    The amount of thrust seems to fluctuate between 0.2 to 0.25. That makes them completely useless due to horrible inefficiency which is even worse if you chaindock them.
    Say your docked thruster has 3000 thrust, but your main ship will only get ~600 yet using full amount of power.
    I'm completely new here, so can I speak to this from an outsider's point of view?

I don't think this is "broken." I think the old mindset of bigger is always better and everything scaled linearly to be broken. It seems very clear that the intent of the devs is to make larger and larger mass ships come at a price, maneuverability. The fact that people are trying to game the system using docked entities, and then complaining that there's a consequence for this too, makes me think that their mindset is what's broken.

Million mass ships shouldn't be able to handle well.

Reaction score
    Hi,

For a large "multi-piece" ship (where the mother-ship is much smaller than all pieces combined), if the mother-ship is 100% thrusters and nothing else, you will not have enough thrust to do a 360 degree turn in less than 5 minutes.

It may or may not be buggy; but you still have no sane choice regardless.

Note: by "large" I mean a combined mass of over 7.5 million (or over 75 million blocks spread across multiple entities). I'm not talking about (and haven't tested) weeny little 100*100*100 ships (or smaller).

Reaction score
    I have made two generators and plugged them in, or at least tried to... I have used the alternating clock Qweesdy posted (thx btw) with wireless modules to save space in the generators. Set up like this: PSc <- wi - wi <- clock -> wi - wi -> PSc
    I cant connect more than one core to the mothership. After i successfully connect one core it stops working after i connect another one.
    Is that a bug or a feature?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I have made two generators and plugged them in, or at least tried to... I have used the alternating clock Qweesdy posted (thx btw) with wireless modules to save space in the generators. Set up like this: PSc <- wi - wi <- clock -> wi - wi -> PSc
    I cant connect more than one core to the mothership. After i successfully connect one core it stops working after i connect another one.
    Is that a bug or a feature?
    Did you try to connect two wireless receivers to the same wireless emitter?

I don't think this is "broken." I think the old mindset of bigger is always better and everything scaled linearly to be broken. It seems very clear that the intent of the devs is to make larger and larger mass ships come at a price, maneuverability. The fact that people are trying to game the system using docked entities, and then complaining that there's a consequence for this too, makes me think that their mindset is what's broken.

Million mass ships shouldn't be able to handle well.
    As long as the ticket in the bug tracker is open it's officially broken. The problem isn't that docked thrusters can't be abused to circumvent the diminishing returns anymore, the problem is that docked thrusters generate even less thrust than they would if they were part of the mothership, making them entirely useless.

Reaction score
    Did you try to connect two wireless receivers to the same wireless emitter
    Mothership has two wireless modules and each of the generators has a wireless module. I connected first wireless module on the mothership with the module on the first generator, tested it and it worked fine. Then i connected the second wireless module to the second generator and it worked fine too. But when I tested the first pair again it activated the second generator instead of the first generator. I want to make the generators to alternate fire so the power transfer is even all the time.

If that proves impossible I'll just wire them together and mod the generators with cannon secondaries to smooth the transfer...

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Mothership has two wireless modules and each of the generators has a wireless module. I connected first wireless module on the mothership with the module on the first generator, tested it and it worked fine. Then i connected the second wireless module to the second generator and it worked fine too. But when I tested the first pair again it activated the second generator instead of the first generator. I want to make the generators to alternate fire so the power transfer is even all the time.

If that proves impossible I'll just wire them together and mod the generators with cannon secondaries to smooth the transfer...
    It should work like that, maybe you made a mistake, try the same again. If it still doesn't work upload your ship and post the link (start a new thread to avoid derailing this one too much).

Reaction score
    Nvm it works now, its probably just a random bug where signals get mixed up.

Now, ahem... My first generator design:

This one outputs 570k e/t and i have two of them set up to alternate fire, giving me a stable 1mil e/s boost.
    Could have done it with less power caps, but since this is my first generator I'm happy with it. :)