[API] Current Game Version

Reaction score
    Hello Citizens!

You can now issue a standard REST GET request to https://registry.star-made.org/api/v1/current_version to have a JSON encoded response returned including the current stable version of StarMade.

We are currently using this API to deliver the Version in the header of the Forums and StarMade.org.

I hope this helps you in your own creations!

- wed

Reaction score
    I don't... get it.

Can someone explain to me what this means to the game and the community?

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I don't... get it.

Can someone explain to me what this means to the game and the community?
    not much right now, it means that having an application or site download the data on that page, they can display the latest stable release, just as this site does. However, this could also show that they are working on a registry API that will allow us to get a whole load of data from the registry.

Reaction score
    You can also use http://files.star-made.org/releasebuildindex.json for abit more indepth info, including a path pointing to the checksum for each release if your making a launcher or update tool :)
    While this is true, please don't build any tools off of this. This URL can change, and we don't officially support using it like we do with the Registry API.

That being said, if this information is useful to you guys, let me know and I'll build out an API endpoint for it :)

therimmer96

Reaction score
    While this is true, please don't build any tools off of this. This URL can change, and we don't officially support using it like we do with the Registry API.

That being said, if this information is useful to you guys, let me know and I'll build out an API endpoint for it :)
    well that's schema told me is for developers to use to create custom launchers, as all that info is needed for launchers :)

Reaction score
    well that's schema told me is for developers to use to create custom launchers, as all that info is needed for launchers :)
    Yes, that was the case in the past. We are now pushing to have everyone move over to the Registry API.

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yes, that was the case in the past. We are now pushing to have everyone move over to the Registry API.
    Personally, I think the best way to push someone to the new system is just to disable the old one :p (sidenote: I'm joking pls don't hurt me)

On another note, doesn't seem like the wiki has the current game version implemented, at least not correctly. It's still on 0.171 lol

therimmer96

Reaction score
    If/when you move that file to the registry, please make it so that new entries get added to the top, makes lives so much easier knowing where the latest version is everytime ^^

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If/when you move that file to the registry, please make it so that new entries get added to the top, makes lives so much easier knowing where the latest version is everytime ^^
    It's not really meant for reading, it's an API. The idea is a program gets it, and a program doesn't care which is at the top.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    It's not really meant for reading, it's an API. The idea is a program gets it, and a program doesn't care which is at the top.
    not true, because it's an array, if it was always at the top, it would always be at index 0. Being at the bottom you need to iterate through the array, and because the json stuff gets stored in a dynamic (in c# atleast), you cant just get the length of the array and go straight to the end.

Nerixel

The Walrus
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    not true, because it's an array, if it was always at the top, it would always be at index 0. Being at the bottom you need to iterate through the array, and because the json stuff gets stored in a dynamic (in c# atleast), you cant just get the length of the array and go straight to the end.
    And if I was building a program, I wouldn't trust someone else to do my work for me, someone who could change their program at any point. I'd sort it myself, probably by the build or version number.

therimmer96

Reaction score
    And if I was building a program, I wouldn't trust someone else to do my work for me, someone who could change their program at any point. I'd sort it myself, probably by the build or version number.
    I have worked around it, but it's rather dirty, would also mean that people in the future don't have too. thats the only reason I asked :)