Anyone want to help with some light ship construction?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    So, when searching for Science Fiction wallpaper backgrounds, I stumbled upon this:

http://www.goatioutsourcing.com/art.html

Once seeing, I cannot unsee. I now want to scale it up a bit and make a 2-6k mass ship (somewhere in that range) that looks like this, and would preform the roll of a corvette. It may or may not be turned into a pirate afterwards. :P

Of course, this week being finals, and I myself having spent 18 of the last 30 or so hours working on a single project, you would need to give me a few days to finish up. But, I just wanted to make this post to see if anyone would be interested in helping me with the construction, and right now we (or I) can just kinda plan out what it will look like, and what I (or we) think the roles it should fill.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1429570111,1429569055][/DOUBLEPOST]Thinking about this, I also realized that this might be a great idea on finding mid-sized spaceship concept art and making them into scaled up models that would make great midsize pirates- er ships. Great midsize starter ships. Ideally all the ships fall in the range of above 3k mass and below 10k mass, so it doesn't take that long to construct them, and the gathering of materials wouldn't take long either.
    I am thinking of making 2 versions to each vessel, one for players and rp purposes, with a hanger, a bridge, and a storage area at the minimum, and defensive effects.
    Then there would also be an AI version with, well, a bobby AI, and no defensive effects because AI can't use them :/
    Ideally they would be docked to a mother-ship (2-6 of them) and be undocked during combat to serve as heavy AI drones that look good, are deadly, and would require less management than a swarm of hundreds of drones. (they can also be used as pirates)
    Here are some examples that I found while just browsing while I waited for my dinner to cook:

We can weed out the ones we want, then put them in an order of what we want done first!

Reactions: Gandrac
    Reaction score
    Some of these look beautiful! I would love to help with these. My friend and I have a shipyard thread and are looking for more ideas for ships around this mass range. Do you have a server we could meet up on to work on these?

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Found some more inspiration

We could also take these guns and make them into ships as well :)

Reaction score
    Nice collection of concepts! I thing I recognize 1 or 2 ships from the infinity: quest for earth community.

I picked up the stegosaurus (second ship) for a heavy fighter. Guess I am aiming for a mass under 1k. Will modify it a bit because I am not a big fan of the "arms" shown in the upper left. Front is almost done. I scaled up the circle on the sides, might make a nice retractable PD-turret after the rail update hits.

Progress:
    starmade-screenshot-0060_25.png

Last edited:

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Ohh that looks very good!

I just finished with Exams, and I probably will be hanging out somewhere near spawn sector once I get my inventory sorted and supplies gathered

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

I wonder which ship I chose? I hope the yellow doesn't give it away! XD

Reaction score
    And Done!

SA-44 Reaper
    Heavy-Fighter

Stats
    Mass: 534
    Shields/Reg: 67.000 / 1265
    Power Cap/Reg: 187.000 / 78.100
    Radar Jammer (Perm.)
    Thrust: 372
    Jumpdrive: 18/267

Weapons
    Quad Rapidfire Overdrive AMC's (92/100%/72%)
    Dual HE-Sniper AMC's (100/80%/95%)
    4 Lock On LRM-Tubes (58/30%)

starmade-screenshot-0062_25.png starmade-screenshot-0064_25.png starmade-screenshot-0063_25.png

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Progress has been made!

The Jet engines are looking good!
    Ignore the other ship, that was just my parking job.

Reactions: Rumcajz
    Reaction score
    Ooooh. Those engines are looking nice. Are you going to update them when the rail update comes out? One thing I noticed about the concept pics for that ship is the engines rotate up and down, so that could be cool with rails.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    I'd be happy to do it for you.
    Problem is that I didn't plan for that to happen, and those two engine/tube things above it will be in the way. And I don't think it will add much to the ship itself. Maybe if I build more and it seems like it will fit? I digress.

Anyways, what do you think about it becoming a server pirate? I think my last one may have been a little too Strong, and this one will totally break peoples ships. IF it give it a full combat load-out that is, no warp drive, no passive systems, no scanners. Just lots and lots of long range lock-on missiles and cannon+beams (or cannon+pulse, my favorite). Probably needs to be recolored black and red if I do that.

(the last one was the linebacker, and I am both sorry and proud about it)

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive

These slopes are really hard. I am kinda fudging some parts now. Once exterior is done, I will start coloring the hull and adding stuff like windows and weapon ports.

Reactions: Rumcajz

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Hull is all done, will post again when colored.

Also, need to add this ship to the list: