Anyone tried this with fleets yet for mining?

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Take several copies of a logic miner of your choice and make one of them the flagship, now add in some wireless logic rigging on the main ship to allow it to turn on and off the salvagers on the other ships, now just make them fly in formation with the main ship and turn the salvagers on when you get to a mining target. :)

Not the best work around but it should hold everyone over until the mining fleet commands are in the game. :)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Hmmm, wouldn't they all aim straight? Like, wouldn't you be better off just having it all on the same ship since it'd essentially do the same thing but better?

If only fleets could target neutral entities (like, just turning towards them without shooting) then it'd work. I really want working mining drones!!!

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Well yes logic fired weapons would fire in whatever direction they are aimed but it could be handy for mining massive things like planets or whole asteroid sectors at once. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think that would only work at the moment if there was a command attack my target. At the moment they would all just shoot their mining beams forward, so it would only work on certain formed asteroids. Also the formation seems based on the with of the ships, so if your miners are quite width the gaps between the main ship and the others in a fleet will make the finding of suitable asteroids even harder. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So far this seems to be only a good option for mining planets

[Disclaimer, the following statements have been made without any knowledge of coding]

However, would it be hard for the devs to include in the next patch the option for the AI to also target neutral entities?
    Just an addition to the target current target in turret AI and fleet AI if current target is neutral, also point towards it

I'm not sure that should be so hard to do, and would open up a world of possibilities for us to step up our mining game in the active sectors while we wait on the unloaded sector missions.

Reaction score
    The AI already targets system blocks in combat, so I don't see why "target any on this asteroid/station/etc" would be too much. Biggest issue I can see is the AIs habit of nose diving into planets.

As well something to bare in mind is just because something isn't that large of a task doesn't mean it isn't a task at all. It would still be devoting time and effort away from something else, so I wouldn't be too sure about holding out for mining AI next update.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    As well something to bare in mind is just because something isn't that large of a task doesn't mean it isn't a task at all. It would still be devoting time and effort away from something else, so I wouldn't be too sure about holding out for mining AI next update.
    Point taken, shall post in suggestions anyway and see what comes of it