Anyone stack weapons groups like this

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Pretty sure I'm not the first to do this.
    Stacking weapons or in this case salvage beams vertically allows eliminating gaps between beams.
    This miner is fairly small. It doesn't use any more space. It simply stacks vertically.
    It does however allow the creation of a firing pattern with no gaps.

Here is a little better version I am working on. Finally got enough materials on this new verse to build a larger one. 21 wide 11 tall 30 blocks each every single block position. One computer only.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Tomssuli
    Reaction score
    That's a common type of setup. I've used it, and I know plenty of ppl on here do as well.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    tbh I just do two waffles, one behind the other. :|

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    I put 2 waffles through eachother on seperate comps and just run them both together on logic, at least roids don't move :)
    also means i usually skip a secondary and just run pure salvage, great for saving some resources on big miners

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Honestly I find that having solid means isn't that much different in terms of effectiveness than having a single waffled beam, so I usually stick to the single waffle array going horizontally.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    We really need AOE for salvage-beams to reduce lag.
    What about a salvage-gate and asteroid-thug, that eats the asteroid from 4 sides.

Has anyone used a dock to align your ship and then use mining-beams through a rail-docked sweeper?

This could solve fleet-mining lags and issues too (if asteroids would spawn with dockers)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Honestly I find that having solid means isn't that much different in terms of effectiveness than having a single waffled beam, so I usually stick to the single waffle array going horizontally.
    I think it depends some what on the target thickness and how much you move the beam.
    I did some measuring against an asteroid that was 300K + blocks. the beam not being able to penetrate all the way through it meant it would be picking blocks up the entire time. I also kept he platform stationary. In that respect it doubled the blocks it picked up.

However, you are probably correct in many instances if the beams are strong enough to penetrate through an object a moving or sweeping beam the leading edge would do most the work the remaining beams would pick up stragglers. Thus it really wouldn't make much difference in that case.

However, its a shit load of fun to cut a derelict in half like a hot knife through butter so you can look at it like a cross section. :)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Nowadays I use this format for a mining array (also in Community Content):

It is a standard octagonal checkerboard waffle pattern array with the mirror of the checkerboard directly in front of it, except the length of the block lines curls out and back along the sides of the first array. This permits the whole assemblage to be much shorter than it would otherwise be, as well as allowing the beam nearly 100 meters of extra propagation length. I slave the whole thing to cannon so as to have a single continuous solid beam.

The above is a smaller version so as to be newb friendly inexpensive if they decide to use it for their first mining array. I normally make it bigger with around 700 beams as depicted below. With 700 beams, each from 100 salvage and 100 cannon slaves, this thing eats pretty much any asteroid in fifteen seconds or less.

Clearly I didn't build it to win pretty design awards. It was built to be an economical, easy to maneuver, quick to jump, heavy duty miner that didn't have to worry about typical NPC pirate riff raff.