Votes: 16 24.2%
    • Someting else

Votes: 9 13.6%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Hello people,

I've been lurking for a while, watching amazing pictures of impressive ships, and suddently i asked to mayself "how is it possible ?".

Are you playing "legit", i mean, from scratch in a kind of survival mode, like in Minecraft when you start a game for the first time ? Are you building ships in creative mode and then copy them to survival mode ? Are you actually playing the game, or only building stuff ?

I mostly don't like creative modes in any similar games, and i mostly don't like multiplayer, but that said, i wonder how i should play Starmade. I want to love it, but so far i've never played for more than a couple of hours every few weeks or months.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What you see is usually what people build in singleplayer with infinite resource commands. They will save the finished ships as blueprints, and buy them on a multiplayer server where they play "legitly" after enough credits are available.

I only use singleplayer as a building ground and testbed for blueprints, and alot of people do it the same way - actually playing the game makes more fun in MP :)

Reaction score
    • Supporter
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I started a couple of days on a online server the legit way.

Crafting only, not even buying things in shops. It works quite good. Building the last details on a 140 meter all purpose ship so far. It quite takes a while to get used to and to know where to find some rare ores. But to my surprise it´s in my opinion more motivating than building in creative mode.

Reaction score
    I have also started fresh on a server legit since the universe update dropped. I have not bought a single thing(Edit#1: except a spacestation). It can be a little bit of grind at first but as your experience with the game and crafting system grows it definitely gets a better.

Honestly I'm having a blast and looking forward to start working on my first real ship. I've built a little salvager but have been focusing on setting up my factory so far and stockpiling resources. I want the factory to look nice since I'm playing on an RP server after all and it's taken a lot of my resources to do that! My main goal on the server is to set up my own shop and take custom orders from other players to make money and/or trade with them. Looking forward to getting to that point.

If I had one complaint so far it would be my inability to locate the ever illusive Larimar (blue) asteroids.....

Edit#2: Another complaint - I've had a couple fairly large stacks of blocks in multistacks disappear due to a known bug i believe... not much I can do about that... if it happens again I might ask an admin to spawn me some replacements but haven't decide if I should or not.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Gamel

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I started a couple of days on a online server the legit way.

Crafting only, not even buying things in shops. It works quite good. Building the last details on a 140 meter all purpose ship so far. It quite takes a while to get used to and to know where to find some rare ores. But to my surprise it´s in my opinion more motivating than building in creative mode.
    While true, you simply need infinite resources if you want to design a detailed large capital ship - quality builds that take months to build need all the help they can get.

I must say that so far I have not seen any "pretty" builds at all on no-blueprint servers. Most ships there are extremely basic in looks and sometimes even showing plenty of uncovered system blocks.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have not played "legit" since a bug ate my entire stock pile of black hardened hull. Now I mostly play creative just trying to bring my ships up to current standards. Once that's done, who knows.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    I've been lurking for a while, watching amazing pictures of impressive ships, and suddently i asked to mayself "how is it possible ?".

Are you playing "legit", i mean, from scratch in a kind of survival mode, like in Minecraft when you start a game for the first time ? Are you building ships in creative mode and then copy them to survival mode ? Are you actually playing the game, or only building stuff ?

I mostly don't like creative modes in any similar games, and i mostly don't like multiplayer, but that said, i wonder how i should play Starmade. I want to love it, but so far i've never played for more than a couple of hours every few weeks or months.
    I do both. For single-player I use admin commands and build huge ships. For multi-player servers, I play "legit" - I can't use commands to fill my inventory with goodies, I don't abuse the blueprint system (e.g. saving a cube of shields and buying it several times), etc.

For the latest version of the game, it can be a struggle. My advice is to start by trying to get the blocks you need for a simple/tiny ship equipped with a jump drive, plus a faction control block, an undeathator, some storage blocks, and a build block if you can manage to afford it. Find a nice planet somewhere (use the galaxy map!), claim it with the faction block and set it as your faction home. This makes it a safe place to store your stuff (and return to if/when you die).

Next, you need salvagers and power generators (and misc. stuff like thrusters, etc). Do whatever you can (including mining your own planet) to raise cash for those. Now, if you salvage planets or asteroids you get ores/crystals. Keep those (do not sell them) because you will need them for later (to get anywhere without cheating, you must setup a factory and you will need the ores/crystals for manufacturing). You will also get things like dirt/sand/rock. Sell them if you can, but they're not worth much and shops fill up fast. Abandoned stations aren't much use either (they only give you scrap now, which can help for manufacturing simple items, but they're not fast profit like they used to be).

What this mostly means is that, until you've got a factory setup, the main source of income is pirates (I wouldn't recommend attacking trading guild ships). This means both pirate ships (which can be hard to find) and pirate stations (which are easy to find). Both of these will attack back, and will do enough damage to kill a small/weak beginner ship. That's why you need the power generators - to power your cloaking/jamming; so you can gather the resources you need for a larger ship without getting wiped out by pirates and losing your current ship.

Note: The alternative to cloaking is shield blocks. These are hard to manufacture (the ores you need are very rare) and they're the first thing that are sold out at shops on multi-player servers. You also need a more expensive ship if you're not relying on stealth (more blocks, more thrust, "standard or better" hulls, etc); which is easy enough after you've got your factory working, but not so easy before then.

As a rough estimate (it depends on server config, etc); only 1 pirate in 7 will drop loot and that loot is random, and it's probably going to take 2 hours of flying around just to find some pirates (they don't show up on scanners). Alternatively, if you can salvage an entire pirate station there's a 100% chance of getting a lot of blocks, and you can easily make 8 million credits per station (and keep the stuff you want to keep), and there's loot in the station's chests for even more credits/blocks (typically more "bonus loot" than you get from pirate ships). More importantly, it doesn't take too long to build your ship's salvagers up, so that you can salvage an entire pirate station in about 15 minutes; and walk away with about 20 million credits every 15 minutes. That's far faster profit than searching around hoping to stumble on a group of pirate ships.

Of course it's probably going to take a while to build up your ship (so you can salvage more, faster), and get a basic factory started. Once you reach that stage you can start salvaging asteroids and planets for ores/crystals; and making things (e.g. ship cores) to sell to shops in exchange for the harder to manufacture blocks; and keep doing that until you've got enough to build a decent ship. The other thing I'd be doing is building a better home base, with (e.g.) docking areas large enough for a decent ship, an item sorting system, a much larger factory, etc.

Note: Different people have different ideas about how big a decent ship is; but I'd just keep salvaging asteroids/planets/pirate stations until you've got enough for a 100K+ ship. Your perma-cloaking salvager should be fine for almost everything until then. ;)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I find the differents answers very interesting. I've added a poll, maybe it can go somewhere and give an idea about people playstyles.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I recently stopped playing the game, but as soon as Calbiri finishes the salvage mechanics, which currently can be considered broken, I will definitely start playing the game again. So after the next update/dev build that changes things.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I'm still waiting for a few key features to play "legit"
    • I want shipyards, I hate how ships just poof into existence, but I still want to be able to use my crafted in creative ships.
    • Separate entities for factions. I want to add more deadlier, very pirate like ships but I don't want the trade guild flying them
    • Ability to add AI factions. I want at least raiders, civilian (trade guild), and military. (All with access to their own ships of course)
    Or I need to find a good server that has similar building rules to the ones I already force on myself.

Reaction score
    Well to put a story short.
    • Friends stopped playing this game;
    • The server I used to play on just stopped one day;
    • Used to have free time pretty much 24/7, now I barely have 2 hours a day to myself at best;
    • Can't keep up with the changes and I kinda stopped carring about it at some point.
    So I only play creative, if I play.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I play legit only. Wehnever I've been coming on a server first time or after a long break involving server reset, I always engoyed starting over from scratch, managing few items I can invest in, taking the best efficiency out of every block, and gradually obtaining resources and funds. Then I invest into crafting (new factories as present) and start producing materials for building ships. I only use blueprints to make copies of ships and turrets that I've built on that particular server, no exceptions.

Unfortunately, most of my experience is basically solo - it's still hard to find someone to join a one-man faction. Currently working hard to make my faction more plausible for joining, though it's difficult doing all by myself. Oh well...

Reaction score
    I'm waiting for official release for legit. There really isn't much of a point of not cheating right now, there isn't much stuff like war trophies or ways to decorate a shit you've been piloting for a while. It's just a cold gray box to battle other cold gray boxes, with maybe a small touch of flare that renders any battle rating null and void. What's the point of flying about collecting asteroids and stuff when it's just gonna get wrecked anyway?

What I'm waiting for is exploration. There is a lot but I get bored of it quickly because some stuff is really broken to me. Still love the game and know it will improve. (It has been)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I play on a server hosted by a friend. As such, I don't have admin rights where I can give myself credits or anything, and he has locked the import of blueprints so that players don't bring in game-breaking titans. Not that any of that matters, since I very much prefer to build my own stuff anyway (even if some of my ships are inspired by existing material.)

That isn't to say that the game doesn't offer some short-cuts that are "legit" but don't necessarily feel like it. I've done very little crafting, since up until recently I could get plenty of materials to use or sell from salvaging abandoned space stations. Even if we can't blueprint ships, we can still catalog items in the game. So, our catalog is full of things like 10k blocks of hardened hull that allow us to continue building our ships or stations without the interruption of mining during the process.

I have a good variety of ships at the moment, big and small, although my largest might barely slip into the category of a titan by the forum's standards. On my server, however, the ship is likely 3-4 times larger than the next closest ship making it a titan by default.

Reaction score
    Play as much legit as sanity will allow. I manage a server with friends and sometimes bugs cause things to happen. ("WTF, I just lost 300,000 blocks!") But we start off with a small ship capable of infiltrating pirate bases and or taking out pirates and start building our ships from what pieces we get scavenging the bases. It's incredibly easy to get enough hull to build out ships in whatever shape/size you want. We normally do ships in the 200m range which is excessive for a single person. You don't always get the wedges and stuff, but it keeps things interesting constantly looking for parts.

Reactions: JimmyJamba
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    When in SP I play "extreme creative mode"™ [admin commands + unstable code snippets inserted]
    However, I do play legit on MP(because there is no way around it :P ), but I still use blueprints.

Reaction score
    I recently stopped playing the game, but as soon as Calbiri finishes the salvage mechanics, which currently can be considered broken, I will definitely start playing the game again. So after the next update/dev build that changes things.
    What do you think is broken about salvage mechanics? I salvaged heavily before and after the current release and I dont see any difference.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What do you think is broken about salvage mechanics? I salvaged heavily before and after the current release and I dont see any difference.
    Default salvage power usage now is per module. So if you use non-linked salvage areays, your power usage would be 500 e/s per module, instead of the previous 1000 e/s per beam.

Are you by any chance using 1 salvage module linked to 1 cannon barrel? It's power usage went down from 200 e/s to 100 e/s in that update. That would explain the fact that you don't notice a difference, and if you look closely you might even see a decrease in power usage. Unless you used 2 salvage modules linked to 2 cannon barrels to form one beam. The power usage would have remained the same then.

Reaction score
    Default salvage power usage now is per module. So if you use non-linked salvage areays, your power usage would be 500 e/s per module, instead of the previous 1000 e/s per beam.

Are you by any chance using 1 salvage module linked to 1 cannon barrel? It's power usage went down from 200 e/s to 100 e/s in that update. That would explain the fact that you don't notice a difference, and if you look closely you might even see a decrease in power usage. Unless you used 2 salvage modules linked to 2 cannon barrels to form one beam. The power usage would have remained the same then.
    Yes, exactly, 2 salvage modules with 2 cannon support is my default setup.

If its changed for pure salvage, I dont see why this should prevent you from playing. I never used pure salvage by themselves unless I was forced to due to lack of resources for cannons.