CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Please no.
    You can't even properly use shipyards yet :p

Reaction score
    What you forgot the most annoying thing with shipyard is docked entities. Bugs aside, you can't spawn several turrets and dock them one by one, you're forced to build them every single time. That is why shipyards cannot be the only one thing to build with.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    Let's all just settle down and remember that NO ONE ever suggested that building would be limited to shipyards.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I absolutely like the idea of only being able to construct blueprints or use certain advanced build mode tools in shipyards - once their capabilities are finished and all of the major bugs and quirks are smoothed out. Build mode in general should not require shipyards, as there would be nigh-unsolvable logistical issues associated with that - Most significantly, new players in multiplayer being able to build their first ship without others being able to grief or troll them.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Secondly, and more importantly, the shipyard effect for virtual blocks has the dubious honor of being one of only two things in video games that makes me physically sick and nauseous to look at :(.
    I agree here, that effect is terrible, but that can be changed, if enough people complain.

Most significantly, new players in multiplayer being able to build their first ship without others being able to grief or troll them.
    Public shipyards in NPC stations should be pretty safe.

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Honestly, blueprints and shipyards should always be permanent features of the game. Eventually if I were to open a server surrounding battle mode I doubt any of us would wank around with stupid ship yards and rather get to the point: spawn the ship.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Honestly, blueprints and shipyards should always be permanent features of the game. Eventually if I were to open a server surrounding battle mode I doubt any of us would wank around with stupid ship yards and rather get to the point: spawn the ship.
    Battlemode is an exception, and isn't what we're talking about. Of course you shouldn't have to slowly put together ships for battle mode; that would be like having to kill MMO-style mobs to get your weapons and armour in a MOBA, where the whole point is to be able to jump right into the action.

However, in normal survival, that is not the 'whole point'. While the insta-spawn blueprint metaitems should stay in the game's code, so that they can be given to people as part of their starter kit or awarded by admins, normal gameplay should primarily use shipyards for managing automated construction of ships from blueprints.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Make a server config setting limiting the distance from the core one can place blocks in buildmode, without being in a shipyard. Being in a shipyard would remove the core distance restriction.

I agree with the blueprint item having the mass/volume of the blocks it contains, this would prevent "pocket battleships" depending on personal inventory limit.

Reaction score
    okay, if Schine tells us to stop hand-building, then I will probably quit.

If Schine tells us to stop using blueprints, then I am fine.

Will this be an opinion?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    What you forgot the most annoying thing with shipyard is docked entities. Bugs aside, you can't spawn several turrets and dock them one by one, you're forced to build them every single time. That is why shipyards cannot be the only one thing to build with.
    Just tossing an idea in. If it was possible to copy a turret entity and paste it onto a turret axis it would useful. Or simply being able to spawn in premade turrets into the build space and snap them into position.

TrickyNicky27

Blarg3437
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    personally I'd prefer a compromise, let people build the ships in their own hand, but give shipyards additional aspects/buffs to the ships constructed there, such as designation, class, and other things, which could also help create their unique names.
    I like this Idea, A ship constructed in a shipyard would have a "shipyard bonus" applied to it at launch. This would add a certain buff to the armor, shields, speed, hp, or power. Ships constructed in shipyards are made with the best shipyard tech, as opposed to being hastily spawned in. At launch there could be a menu providing a selection of buffs to apply(you can only apply them at launch and cannot be changed), or they could be applied at random.

Reaction score
    I like this Idea, A ship constructed in a shipyard would have a "shipyard bonus" applied to it at launch. This would add a certain buff to the armor, shields, speed, hp, or power. Ships constructed in shipyards are made with the best shipyard tech, as opposed to being hastily spawned in. At launch there could be a menu providing a selection of buffs to apply(you can only apply them at launch and cannot be changed), or they could be applied at random.
    Or make them usable to repair and mass produce ships. Also fix blueprints somehow.