Anyone like the idea of only building in shipyards I don't

Reaction score
    I'd prefer it work that way, ship loss for late game / old servers is basically meaningless. At least this adds the threat that losing your fleet for an attack could leave you defenseless for a while. Rich players shouldn't be able to churn out massive fleets instantly just because they're rich, that's silly.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    You still build your ship, there's just an extra wait period while it's assembled.
    For smaller ships it shouldn't be a problem, and though it is a problem for larger ships I think it should be anyway :P

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Well, there is manual ship building and there are blueprints (the meta items, not the files). I'm pretty sure blueprints will be removed sooner or later. Manual ship building, on the other hand, must remain in the game to avoid players stranding on planets.

Reaction score
    Or smaller planet facilities that can build small ships explicitly for that reason, and if we're grandfathering current systems press x to escape pod will get you off the planet without letting people make instant ships. (Cores have no weapons or systems)

I'm fine with smaller ships being easy, the problem is being able to make massive world destroyers or a lot of small ships too quickly with little penalty, potentially preventing new or poorer players from making progress.

Perhaps let players build to a certain mass by hand, and then the ship 'becomes unstable' and can't have anymore blocks placed on it. This would let you hand build small ships but force shipyards for monsters.

Reaction score
    I like the shipyards, but I wish the bugs would be fixed.
    I find them a lot easier to use when building big stuff. You don't need to worry about having all the materials required when designing. Then when you are ready to build, everything gets pulled from your storage system and factories.

They do need some work though.
    One of the bugs messes up the text on display blocks in certain orientations. Another one is not keeping wireless logic connections.
    Also there is no way to attach docked entities from designs or blueprints.

The user interface is rather annoying, it needs to be cleaned up. The window that pops up with all of the options is really cluttered.
    One of the most annoying things is when you enter the ship through the shipyard computer, but when you exit, your are by the core on the virtual ship. If you enter through the shipyard computer, you should be near it when you exit.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My opinion; shipyards should be the way to build ships faster. Not spawning them in with a meta item. So only building from a shipyard? Hell no. building something by hand should always be an option, along with mass producing from a shipyard. However, perhaps spawning from blueprints, for non admins, should fade out.

Reactions: Nickizzy
    Reaction score
    Yes I'd prefer only building in shipyards.

There is no way the game will ever be optimized enough for it not to cause the game to stutter when someone instantly loads in a behemoth. Also it would be a small deterrent to having said behemoths or at least making them have to wait if loaded in first time or they blow up. A similar system should be introduced for stations so they build progressively like a ship in a shipyard. Two less things to cripple multiplayer.

Only arguably need something to prevent people being stranded (can always respawn).

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    There will still be a need for spawning ships before a player has developed a full working shipyard.

The CC section of the dock will still require a method of sharing builds, if not BPs then Designs. What would become of all the existing BPs in the CC if BPs were eliminated altogether??

*Regardless, the shipyard should take less time to construct a build than spawning from a BP. Both should have an upper limit on blocks placed per minute so as to slow the construction down. This would spread the processing out over a period of time and avoid server-seizures.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The CC section of the dock will still require a method of sharing builds, if not BPs then Designs. What would become of all the existing BPs in the CC if BPs were eliminated altogether??
    Well, there are blueprint files, and there are blueprint meta items. Schine won't invalidate the CC section, that would be exceptionally stupid. Also, there's no reason to abandon the blueprint file format. You can already create designs from blueprint meta items, so creating designs directly from blueprint files will likely be possible in the future, if blueprint meta items will be removed.

Reaction score
    personally I'd prefer a compromise, let people build the ships in their own hand, but give shipyards additional aspects/buffs to the ships constructed there, such as designation, class, and other things, which could also help create their unique names.

Reaction score
    I'd like to have anything bigger than say 15 blocks need a shipyard. But, only if shipyards are totally reliable and we get NPC / Trade Guild shipyards than can be freely used for small ships and can (for a minor charge) also be used to make larger ships.

Reaction score
    Blueprints could be given the mass of all the blocks they contain. That would allow you to spawn small ships, but larger ones would be too heavy to fit in your inventory. That way you could still carry a small shuttle or escape pod, but have to use the shipyard for anything bigger.

Reaction score
    There will still be a need for spawning ships before a player has developed a full working shipyard.
    I'm gonna say: Go astrotech builder-beams! It's something that would need work, but people seem to have planed the whole thing out so many times that if SM decides to do it they could just make a thread for people to post their idea on(in spoilers, the wall of text would be real) with a link to that individual idea thread, and they could pick and chose from them all.

Reaction score
    I do hate to be a pain (Not really) but this is a ridiculous thread. Building by hand (With no limits) will likely always be an option. Shipyards need a lot of fixes before blueprints are removed (And I mean the meta item. The blueprint format will of course stay. Only difference will be how you access it).

Though limited BP-based spawning/creating of smaller vessels should be possible (1 block/s or similarly slow spawn rate blueprints for the purposes of smaller ships, anyone?)

Reactions: Xskyth
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    My preference is to do away with blueprints entirely and go with designs only--even for space stations. Have space stations require a specially designed ship block to spawn a station from a ship with a loaded design.

Reactions: MacThule

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Anyone like the idea of punctuation? I do.

Reaction score
    No, I do not want Starmade to go Shipyard only.

First, I enjoy the freedom of being able to build where ever I have blocks available.

Secondly, and more importantly, the shipyard effect for virtual blocks has the dubious honor of being one of only two things in video games that makes me physically sick and nauseous to look at :(. The other was trying to play Descent on a computer that had no business trying to run the game :p. For that reason alone, I never use a shipyard for anything that would require me to be up close and looking at a virtual block.

If we went shipyard only, I physically couldn't play without a mod or option to turn off that effect.

Now, I wouldn't mind if a shipyard of the appropriate size was required to spawn in a blueprint over a certain mass limit. That way a player could start out with small ship on servers so inclined, or carry around a backup shuttle in their inventory for emergencies. If Schine went that way, I would like their to be two option when acquiring a blueprint at the store, to get an empty blueprint for little or no money or to pay for all the blocks in a BP outright and spawn in the ship.