Anybody not a fan of the current blueprint system?

Reaction score
    Don't get me wrong; I'm glad it's there. I know the inevitable direction of this game is to use shipyards to build blueprints and repair ships. But honestly, blueprints are just tedious. It involves a lot of opening the blueprint, closing it, opening the store, buying a few items, then checking the list again. It makes sense if you have crafted all the blocks yourself, but with many servers offering a sandbox environment and a hefty amount of starting credits it would be nice to be able to assemble a large blueprint in less than 15-30 minutes.

I remember there being an option on servers to allow spawn by credits at store. Is that feature gone? Or is it just that no current servers use it? I've yet to find one in the last few months.

Honestly, spawn by credits may make less sense, but it makes the game so much less tedious. I mean, if you have enough credits to buy all the applicable items, why can't the game just auto-buy the items for you? At the very least the blueprint window should have an "auto-buy items" button.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/blueprint-buying.21665/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/ship-blueprint-autobuy.20373/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/blueprints-buying-all-at-once.20503/
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/auto-buy-for-blueprints.6700/

It's safe to say that there might be a few people who agree.
    However, we are moving away from the usage of blueprints to spawn ships, why would the devs take the time to change it?
    That's like painting a house before hitting it with the bulldozer.

Reaction score
    It's frustrating, simply put. And the ability to spawn ships is quite welcome in Starmade imo. Honestly, I have no desire to even play Starmade with how tedious the current system is. Spending hours scouring the galaxy for shops with items to build a single ship isn't my idea of fun. It's rather ridiculous.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I don't particularly like the system either. I like shipyards, but it'd've been preferable to be able to just dump credits OR items (or both) into a shipyard and have it make a ship... Only problem is that with the old systems shops bought for more than it costed to spawn blocks (People could make money by spawning in blocks of expensive things, selling them to shops, and then using the profits to spawn more blocks), so materializing blocks in a shipyard would have to come at a premium.

One way or another, the hour-long process of making 300 million random bits in factories is a pain, and so is running around the galaxy trying to buy them from shops. This is, in fact, part of what has killed StarMade's faction scene, among other things.

Although... the only problem with using credits again, I guess, is that it would render the new cargo system useless... Which basically means we're not getting any revision to the system.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    This is just speculation, but I think once there is more to do in the game than just mine and build (like missions) they will add the ability to buy ships from the Trade Guild with credits. I am hoping they will add several well built starter ships at spawn to choose from. Maybe they will add "BOBS USED SHIP EMPORIUM" where you can buy and sell complete ships. This will attract new people to the game who like the block experience but don't want to build an entire ship from scratch, but would rather modify an existing ship. I for one admit there are a lot of better designs in the community than what I can build.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    So you are telling me you are still going through the shops to buy blocks to spawn ships? and that takes you what? 10+ hrs to spawn 200 ish ship? If you go mining and crafting,you can do the same thing in 1-2 hrs ,depending on how experienced you are,and its much more fun than just going to shops....

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think what we need is more streamlined factories.
    Its a pain to try to make some hull only to see that you need to make paint and others bits and bobs before you can make the hull you want.
    Why can't we control factories via logic so we can set up production lines? Itd go some way towards making blueprints easier to fill

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    I think what we need is more streamlined factories.
    Its a pain to try to make some hull only to see that you need to make paint and others bits and bobs before you can make the hull you want.
    Why can't we control factories via logic so we can set up production lines? Itd go some way towards making blueprints easier to fill
    but...you already CAN set up production facilities,link storages to one another,set them to pull from one another,from simple crafting towards more complicated crafting,and you can just put in raw materials,and it will craft anything you want without any effort

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    but...you already CAN set up production facilities,link storages to one another,set them to pull from one another,from simple crafting towards more complicated crafting,and you can just put in raw materials,and it will craft anything you want without any effort
    But how do you stop it from autoproducing all the lower tier hull etc? I dont want to come back to base to find that all my resources have been spent making paint :/

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Remember that paint is made of coloured rocks... Not exactly hard to replace. if anything, just make some carved rocks first if that's what you're worried about; I doubt that you'll need nearly as much of it as paint.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    you can set up storages to pull a certain number of certain blocks per tick,so if you set it up nicely,it will work like a charm

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    you can set up storages to pull a certain number of certain blocks per tick,so if you set it up nicely,it will work like a charm
    But you wouldve leave it running 24/7 though.......
    Its just a pain to contantly have to turn factories/on/off manualy etc. I would just like to connect them up to buttons, thats all so a button/activation modual linked to a factory turns it on/off

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    But you wouldve leave it running 24/7 though.......
    Its just a pain to contantly have to turn factories/on/off manualy etc. I would just like to connect them up to buttons, thats all so a button/activation modual linked to a factory turns it on/off
    you can already connect them all to 1 activation block,and turn the all off/on on demand :P

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What we need is a way to order bulk materials from the trading guild, or send in an order for a ship. It could take some time or whatever for the order to be filled. Logically, ordering a ship would take longer and cost more than simply ordering the materials for it.

For the trading guild to be useful in the long run, one should be able to obtain just about anything from them for enough credits. It should be balanced by time delays, cost in credits, and a certain degree of difficulty obtaining credits.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Would be nice to sink credits into buying competed blueprints from the trading guild. Have a server.cfg variable for the cost multiplier. Default would be around 3x the cost the blocks would normally be since it would be very fast and convinent, but still has factories as being far more efficient.

Edit: oh all that is basically what valiant just said, had this window open for a while

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Being able to keep open AND USE multiple windows of the gui at the same time would help. That way no need to constantly close and open the damn blueprint or shop or inventory. That's honestly what I find the most annoying.

It'd be a major life improvement in general, actually.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like the idea of the Trading Guild being a mail-order service. Put in your order at your local Trading Guild space station, and a few days later a cargo ship will drop by your base to deliver the materials or new ship you ordered. It would go well with the whole civilizations thing.

Reactions: Ithirahad