any possable way to turn a .3ds 3D model...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    ...into a blueprint? i would love to use the ships from my favrate RTS game! (sadly...im not that good at building cool looking ships in starmade attachFull23921)

(i posted this also in modding but it seems no one is replying to it so ill post it here also!)

EDIT: i have no clue why there is an attached file it is not in the post when i go to EDIT :P

Attachments

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Depends entirely on the game. Some roms are easy to rip models from, others are much harder.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    .3ds can be pretty easily converted into .obj or similar format, and there is a program floating around called "SMEDIT", that converts those 3D models into a blueprint. However, SMEdit is not well maintained and has a reputation for being difficult to get running.

(UPDATE 2 - 2/14/2016) Coding an external ship editor

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    .3ds can be pretty easily converted into .obj or similar format, and there is a program floating around called "SMEDIT", that converts those 3D models into a blueprint. However, SMEdit is not well maintained and has a reputation for being difficult to get running.

(UPDATE 2 - 2/14/2016) Coding an external ship editor

how would i convert a 3ds file into a .obj?

hm... is there a converter for Blender?

EDIT: looking at it again the ships are a 3DB foemat

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    hm, blender can read .3ds files and export scenes as .obj files, but depending on the file version of the 3ds file it probably won't translate all that's in there. I think about uv-mapping, normals and things like that. The .obj file you can export is in the Wavefront format. Since more programs use the .obj extension name as a format while not compliant with Wavefront your mileage may vary.

If the extension is really .3db instead of .3ds then, well blender can't help you.

Greets,

Jan

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I use 3DS max to remove excess parts and to cut down on polygons, then I run it through blender to further optimize and clean it, I then use blender to convert it into blocks. Once the model is in blocks I use windows 3d program to fix any issues that jam SMEdit and then use smedit to import it into the game.

Seems like a lot of work but once you get the hang of it you can easily get some good shells going quickly.