Any new info about Magnetic Rail System?

Reaction score
    Hi,

are there any new information about the Magnetic Rail System (move a object from a rail to a docked rail)?

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    You can't transfer between two entities seamlessly, but magnetic docking is implemented with collision docking and pickup-point rails

Reactions: nightrune
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can't transfer between two entities seamlessly, but magnetic docking is implemented with collision docking and pickup-point rails
    In some instances seamless transition is possible. I have a cargo freighter that uses shootout rails to fire cargo crates down onto a station and the process is seamless. The cargo container shoots out and is picked up without delay.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    In some instances seamless transition is possible. I have a cargo freighter that uses shootout rails to fire cargo crates down onto a station and the process is seamless. The cargo container shoots out and is picked up without delay.
    I mean in terms of the rails from one entity leading directly to another, without requiring logic, or without requiring any time at which the object transferring is independent and undocked.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I mean in terms of the rails from one entity leading directly to another, without requiring logic, or without requiring any time at which the object transferring is independent and undocked.
    Yeah for the most part you can do it very light on the logic, you are right about the object being undocked so that would probably cause issues on moving ships.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    there was talk about this a while back but nothing has been mentioned since.

Reactions: Sven_The_Slayer
    Reaction score
    • Arrrty
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Are you using pickup rails for this, or just a pickup point adjacent to a regular rail? If the former, have you not had problems with T1198?

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Are you using pickup rails for this, or just a pickup point adjacent to a regular rail? If the former, have you not had problems with T1198?
    I can't think of any instances off the top of my head. Make sure all your entities have faction modules and a faction ID. There was a problem introduced in one of the updates where an entity would "dock" and not move when it didn't have a faction tag and the mother ship did. My assumption as to why this happens is to prevent exploits the mother-ship refuses the to allow the entity to dock server side but however will appear to dock via your client. This will make it look like the entity is stuck when in fact it is off floating in space somewhere. When you relog you finally receive the updated location from the server and can see it floating in space. That has been my experience anyway.

I regularly move 16 crates from my ship to a station and back again. I let it just cycle cargo as I work on the ship. The one thing that happens quite often is a crate will be transferred but it will become desyncronized so it will appear on the ship or station in the relative coordinates of the other. I know this is a client side issue as the invisible crate will still trigger all logic properly and when moved back to the entity the client thinks it is docked to it will become visible again in it's appropriate location. This has happened many times while livestreaming and "like magic" I've been able to tell the viewers when a crate is going to materialize seemingly from nowhere.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    I can't think of any instances off the top of my head. Make sure all your entities have faction modules and a faction ID. There was a problem introduced in one of the updates where an entity would "dock" and not move when it didn't have a faction tag and the mother ship did. My assumption as to why this happens is to prevent exploits the mother-ship refuses the to allow the entity to dock server side but however will appear to dock via your client. This will make it look like the entity is stuck when in fact it is off floating in space somewhere. When you relog you finally receive the updated location from the server and can see it floating in space. That has been my experience anyway.

I regularly move 16 crates from my ship to a station and back again. I let it just cycle cargo as I work on the ship. The one thing that happens quite often is a crate will be transferred but it will become desyncronized so it will appear on the ship or station in the relative coordinates of the other. I know this is a client side issue as the invisible crate will still trigger all logic properly and when moved back to the entity the client thinks it is docked to it will become visible again in it's appropriate location. This has happened many times while livestreaming and "like magic" I've been able to tell the viewers when a crate is going to materialize seemingly from nowhere.
    Pickup points, pickup rails and shootout rails are currently the only way to do this. I too use these to great effect. I make a drone in my small shipyard. I undock it from the shipyard and it automatically docks to the rails that run through my station. The mining drones then wait to be loaded onto the carrier. With a press of a button, eight drones move into position and dock to the carrier. On return to base, I can unload all the drones and have them wait for the next mission or divert individual drones back to the shipyard for repair or decommissioning.

I have had the same problem as Sven with disappearing drones. They end up in random places on the station but they still interact with the logic and will magically reappear when they or loaded again. I have even travelled several sectors with an "empty" carrier and launched the drones normally.