Another type of chat

Speech Bubbles?

• Yes! More jobs for spies and easier communication ftw!

• No! 50000 spy jobs lost and flooded chat with no secret meetings!

• Yea, but with a radio broadcast into local chat with a set radius.

Results are only viewable after voting.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    NOTE: Added new poll choice that still supports the idea of multiple people around you being able to chat. :)

So we already have mail and universal chat. But what about when you want to talk to only nearby players without just telling one player at a time? Hence I decided to post the idea of: speech bubbles!

A player would press CTRL + enter to "bubble chat" so that only nearby players can read it.

Better than faction news in-case you want to talk to a few guys who are not in your faction.

Better than mail if you have 4 or more players to tell something to.

Healthier for server-users who have to see all that chat that could have been bubbles instead of being mixed up with the universal chat.

And better for spies :p Opens up new jobs for spies to sneak into enemy meetings and record information in those Log Books! :) (Who has astronauts enabled in the Navigation menu anyways?)

A speech bubble could look similar to a display block's screen but above a player's head. Made to look more look like some sci-fi thing die to sound not travelling in space. A good example would be most ROBLOX games.

Last edited:
    Reactions: DarkFusion

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The reason I think this would be a deficit to the game is not the functionality, the functionality is fine and I have no issue with it. The issue arises with the tone of the game, you can make anything you want, but look at the trailers and the respected members of the community, it can be fun, but it seems like at least the community is pressuring for the game to be slightly gritty/dark. Just by going to community content and looking at some of the most popular things,
    They look a little serious... Then you compare it to this,
    ...and you can see where a bit of an issue with tone arises.
    With that though, it's totally fine for people to make anything they want, it is a creative sandbox game, I'm just looking at what the community seems to like at the moment.

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    That is where my part about the "A speech bubble could look similar to a display block's screen but above a player's head. Made to look more look like some sci-fi thing..." came in. But yea, I see what you mean. Maybe instead a radio broadcast in the chat with CTRL + enter where you specify what radius you transmit into local players chat?

Reaction score
    Pointless feature that wouldn't add anything to the game - if not take away from the game.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I've always been a big proponent for speech bubbles in multiplayer games like Starmade.

As someone whose first real online multiplayer experience was with Star Wars Galaxies, i can tell you that being able to tell who said what when and where really helps with communication.

+1

Reaction score
    We don't need silly speech bubbles over a players head what we need is an ingame voice chat with a local/ship range

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    We don't need silly speech bubbles over a players head what we need is an ingame voice chat with a local/ship range
    while that would be cool, for an indie game thats extremely unlikely

voice chat in general requires a separate server a part from the game. its not impossible but it would be more work than its worth to implement it. besides most of the community use 3rd party voice chat programs like teamspeak and vent.

chat bubbles would allow players to not have to rely on the chat box to see what someone said. on crowded servers the chat box can fill up really fast, burying a message. and it wouldn't just be for players. chat bubbles could be used by the NPCs as a way to talk to us.

Besides, most games with chat bubbles usually have a option to turn them off. if you don't want to see them then you don't have to

Reaction score
    While a voice chat would be the best hope, even more so as a ship to ship communication tool, I could settle for a rework of the chat system.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    +1 to a speech bubble
    +58905892523 to crew/group chat/faction chat you can hack into