Another shipyard question...

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I know that the ends of the C have to be no greater than 32 blocks apart, yes?

Is it possible to build a shipyard big enough to build any size you like by making a huge circumference circle, like, hundreds of blocks around... as long as the C ends are no more than 32 blocks apart?

I'm just curious because if so, I've been doing it all wrong. >.>

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Where did you see that 32 rule??? It's completely false, the two extremities of the C can be as far as you want, provided that they're aligned to each other. The only limit is that you can't have your Cs seperated by more than 50 meters.

This shipyard's C shape extremities are seperated by something like 500 meters, and it works fine.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I misread this line from the wiki:

Place down duplicate arcs to create a corridor. (The maximal distance from arc to arc is currently 32 blocks).
    :p

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yep 50 blocks between arches as for a limit to how big the shipyard as a whole can be, none really. The only real limit would be lag issues. :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Where did you see that 32 rule??? It's completely false, the two extremities of the C can be as far as you want, provided that they're aligned to each other. The only limit is that you can't have your Cs seperated by more than 50 meters.

This shipyard's C shape extremities are seperated by something like 500 meters, and it works fine.
    Keptick, you showoff! That is an awesome shipyard. Then again, I always expect high quality from you.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Hey, while we have a thread for this thats already been mostly answered, maybe I can hijack it with a related question.

Having not been able to experiment with it yet, do the arms have to be in U shapes, or can they be full on C shapes that star closing back in again? I intend to make my shipyard out of rings, and my current plan is to basically build each rib like a warpgate with just the very bottom row of blocks missing.

I'm assuming thats viable?

Reaction score
    Hey, while we have a thread for this thats already been mostly answered, maybe I can hijack it with a related question.

Having not been able to experiment with it yet, do the arms have to be in U shapes, or can they be full on C shapes that star closing back in again? I intend to make my shipyard out of rings, and my current plan is to basically build each rib like a warpgate with just the very bottom row of blocks missing.

I'm assuming thats viable?
    I think that's easy to test... just add a block on the end of each of the arms pointing inward and see if it is still a valid shipyard. I do know for certain that you can have "rounded" ( U as opposed to ␣ ) shapes, as long as each of the blocks connects to two others, much like warp gates need to be built.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The shipyard area blocks themselves have to be U's or C's but there is nothing stopping you from making a complete circle to close it off but the shipyard blocks will stop half way through it I think. ?_?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Long as rounded U's work, I should be good.

I'm trying to keep my focus on the ship build so that I don't wander off and get distracted. I fear that if I build a smaller test shipyard I'll start playing with it making smaller ships, and next thing I know it'll be 2 months from now and my capital will still be sitting there half finished.

So asking if anyone else knew one way or the other so that the design peculating in the back of my head can have a chance to change if rings aren't viable.

Reaction score
    I'm trying to keep my focus on the ship build so that I don't wander off and get distracted. I fear that if I build a smaller test shipyard I'll start playing with it making smaller ships, and next thing I know it'll be 2 months from now and my capital will still be sitting there half finished.
    Well, simply make the smallest possible shipyard in the shape you want (I guess that would be about 5x5x3, plus the computer), that way you don't get tempted, or at the very least you'll be through all possible ship variations in minutes instead of months : )
    Also, percolating?