another hyperspace idea

Reaction score
    Seems very OP, as a good pilot could avoid all of those, unless hyperspace was filled with enough of those to be almost unflyable.
    perhapes, but there should the fights going on within hyperspace between fighters as well as in realspace and between, and dont forget it gets more dangerous the longer that you are in there, so ships would have to come out from time to time, and with a cool down, this is when larger ships could fight back

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    High-alpha attacks are already OP. If we can launch them unannounced it'll be even worse.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Seems very OP, as a good pilot could avoid all of those, unless hyperspace was filled with enough of those to be almost unflyable.
    I agree, I suggest only these monsters can 'see' outside of hyperspace.
    Sneak attacks shouldn't for for us.
    Besides, if totally messes up the core of this idea.
    It should be about adding another dimension of danger to us, about fast travel.
    Not about adding another pvp game-mechanism.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    That's bad too, because then player start quitting becuase of random monster attacks from hyperspace killing them. Nope. Nope. Just nope.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    A random monster attack from hyperspace will always be frustrating because the player cannot see it coming, and cannot do anything about it. Pirates, while they can be frustrating, will never cause as many quits as random invisible monsters because they are visible, they are detectable, and they can be handled through learning how to play the game. The only way to deal with your idea would be to mod the game so it doesn't have those monsters.

Your idea is horrible, as it is simply: At a random time, you will being taking damage. You will receive no warning, you will have no chance to fight back, and escaping into hyperspace will not work since the monster is already in hyperspace. In other words, random death that you cannot do anything about. Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    OK to start, I personally love the idea of creatures living in hyperspace that can hurt your ships unless they are fracking titans and have guns out the wazzoo. (And even then, maybe they could get through your weapons. Balancing issues are not what im going to talk about though.) I agree that the idea of them suddenly popping into normal space is a bad idea. For one, its not fair in any way. And two, it doesn't make sense. They live in hyperspace, so how could they survive in even a few moments in normal space? I also really like the idea of energy arcs and crystals spread through out this hyperspace dimension. Perhaps these crystals could be a high-risk building material?

Ok diverging from my tangent now. My main idea is this: This hyperspace suggestion I think would be a great addition to the game. It would literally add a new level of adventure as you explore this alternate dimension. But why are some of you tossing out the window because of a single aspect? Maybe the OP shouldn't have said anything about horror monsters, but lets look at it another way. Disregard the horror aspect and see the suggestion as it is.

Hyperspace Dimensional Travel
    -Native creatures large enough to threaten a vessel
    -Energy flux that can damage shields and hull (maybe the Hyperspace module?)
    -Crystals that generate the energy flux (and perhaps a new form of decoration or defensive block?)
    -Much faster travel, with some inherent risk to those who are unprepared
    -A way to connect galaxies together in a network (If we adopt the Hyperspace Gate idea)

I don't see the need for horror, cthulhu, hallucinations, pandoras box, noodelly appendages, or anything of the sort. If people really want those, they can make mods at some point. The base system doesn't need to depend on those.

Alright, I've given my two-cents now. (Also my first ever post here on the forums, imagine that :P something to be said for lurking for half a year)

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    well, I know what awaits those who dare enter hyperspace.....

Don't worry, they don't bite,.....much.....

and to the OP, I like this idea! add some server.cfg's and monster/ship selectable entities and we are good! ;)

Reactions: Darkkon
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It would be better to make
    well, I know what awaits those who dare enter hyperspace.....

Don't worry, they don't bite,.....much.....

and to the OP, I like this idea! add some server.cfg's and monster/ship selectable entities and we are good! ;)
    Yes somthing like babylon 5 hyperspace would be cool.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431970252,1431970088][/DOUBLEPOST]Also that you can loss your course and be lost in the hyperspace....

Reactions: vernes

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Personally, I don't think losing your course should be a possibility. It is supposed to be a travel system and it does already have some dangers.

mrsinister

Xenophage
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It would be better to make

Yes somthing like babylon 5 hyperspace would be cool.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1431970252,1431970088][/DOUBLEPOST]Also that you can loss your course and be lost in the hyperspace....
    I imagine the hyperspace texture could be changed as with most of Starmade....and of course I would make my server just like Babylon 5. ;)

Not sure about getting lost in there, maybe a server.cfg for beacons (to exit to a jump gate within range) in hyperspace or none.

Reaction score
    Maybe something like levels of depth. The first layer would be, let's say, scaled at 1:1000, meaning that a one meter movement in the first layer of the hyperspace is equal with 1000 meters outside the hyperspace, and with no monsters. The second layer would be scaled at 1:10000 and with the normal-sized spiders we currently have, having a chance of spawning equal with (CoS=) one monster per 1000m (1/1000) traveled in this layer. The tirh layer would be "swarming" with small spiders, CoS=1/50. The fourth layer would be scaled at 1:50000, the same chance of having normal spiders + a bigger spider or different monster, or even pirates searching for prey, CoS=1/30. And the fifth layer would be both the small and the big spiders (or pirates instead of big spiders) would have CoS=1/10 and scaled at 1:200000. And the creatures, once locked onto you, will follow and attack your ship untill it gets out of it's range than assign a new random target.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Maybe something like levels of depth. The first layer would be, let's say, scaled at 1:1000, meaning that a one meter movement in the first layer of the hyperspace is equal with 1000 meters outside the hyperspace, and with no monsters. The second layer would be scaled at 1:10000 and with the normal-sized spiders we currently have, having a chance of spawning equal with (CoS=) one monster per 1000m (1/1000) traveled in this layer. The tirh layer would be "swarming" with small spiders, CoS=1/50. The fourth layer would be scaled at 1:50000, the same chance of having normal spiders + a bigger spider or different monster, or even pirates searching for prey, CoS=1/30. And the fifth layer would be both the small and the big spiders (or pirates instead of big spiders) would have CoS=1/10 and scaled at 1:200000. And the creatures, once locked onto you, will follow and attack your ship untill it gets out of it's range than assign a new random target.
    I like your idea a lot...although im not sure about the spiders showing up again in hyperspace and i'll explain why. Fair warning, i am a roleplayer and i have a tendency to think out alien races a lot. :P

Alright to start with, the spiders are already a part of 'normal' space. Evolutionarily, they are quite interesting since they can survive in a complete vacuum. That being said, hyperspace would likely require some sort of specialized energy shielding or field to keep the ship from suffering the effects of inter-dimensional travel (note, i am not talking about adding new blocks here, I am talking background story type stuff.). Now, why would this spider from normal space have evolved a natural form of such protection? Also add to that the fact that the spiders have no real means of locomotion in space since they only have legs. (Technically)

My thinking is that these new creatures in hyperspace have evolved there, and thrived there on the energy from the crystals. Unfortunately, our hyperspace shield system has a very similar energy signature, thus drawing the creatures to try to take a bite.

To conclude, i am not Schine or Schema, so i have no idea what their plans are regarding how/why hyperspace/jumpdrives work. This is simply what seems logical to me and is within the scope of the currently available technology in-game. In other news, i REALLY like the idea of layers. I do however have one concern for the entire hyperspace idea overall. How would it be implemented? I do believe that Schema is trying to avoid loading screens so how would the transition to hyperspace be done? Would it actually be a separate instance like the Nether in minecraft? or perhaps its overlayed onto the current universe, except everything in it is invisible until you enter hyperspace, at which point the 'normal' universe becomes invisible?

Yes i raised those point but now im going to ask that we put more thought towards the creatures and content of hyperspace, than the implementation. For now. My reason being that if we can flesh out the core of the idea, then the implementation might not be such an issue. >.> sorry for the long post XD

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Um, the numbers seem a bit off, and should probably be exposed to the configs anyway, but moving on from that...
    I think that having different "bands" of hyperspace takes something away from it - after all, if you want to start committing piracy or blockading in hyperspace, having all those bands makes player and NPC interaction much more difficult to achieve.

Snk

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Great idea, +1.

I feel like this could really be implemented for regular FTL, too. Let's get rid of the current FTL, put everything in Hyperspace, where the larger your ship the faster you can travel through this alternate dimension. This way, hyperspace would be more integrated into the normal gameplay and less of an end game content kind of thing.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Great idea, +1.

I feel like this could really be implemented for regular FTL, too. Let's get rid of the current FTL, put everything in Hyperspace, where the larger your ship the faster you can travel through this alternate dimension. This way, hyperspace would be more integrated into the normal gameplay and less of an end game content kind of thing.
    I agree and I disagree. I agree because if this were added to the game, it shouldn't be restricted to massive ships. That being said, the current jump drive system shouldn't be completely obsolete. It travels less distance, but it is much safer than traversing Hyperspace.

Although, the two may end up being similar in risk when interdiction is implemented. I'm not entirely sure on that count and that may be a balancing issue :P

Reaction score
    The current jump drive uses something known as sub-warp, a technology used to emulate a highway for the matter transportation. You could call it wormhole, but it is not quite that, though you could see the similarities. The hyperspace could be one extra layer of not-rendered creatures which would begin to be rendered while you wait for the warp-engines to warm up (so you can actually move to and in the hyperspace). Besides that, maybe you could make the entities in the hyperspace not render "properly", unless you are verry close, while from the distance you would have rendered the movement of the energy (like a thermal view with everything light blue -not cyan, something whiter-, and the ship's speed would determine it's readings to be going from the default color -that light blue- to light green, yellow, orange, red than black at the top speed the hyperspace allows). Also, the difference in the space could be tweaked, but given the fact that in hyperspace there is no planet to render, but only some creatures and other ships moving there, it would be much safer -for reasons of processing power usage- to be there instead of the overworld, as it is called in Minecraft -normal dimension-, and the space there would be scalled 1:the_current_jump_distance, so the sub-warp would actually become just entering and leaving the hyperspace without allowing any creature or anything really to have time to go after you, since you would only get to travel for one meter in the hyperspace and that is not enough time for anything to happen, unless you literally get in the way of one of the few new weapons usable in hyperspace (I suggest limiting those ones to 2 (cannon, beam) + 2 slaves (same) + 2-3 effects (overdrive, push, pull). Also, when exiting the hyperspace you should be located at least 500m away from the center of a planet, in order to avoid ships getting stuck into a core. Also, you could also make the planets and stations to have readings into the hyperspace, thus explaining how the spiders came to be: they came from hyperspace, bought here by the ships they were trying to eat from, and since they were only used to travel in hyperspace and didn't evolved any way of going in or out of hyperspace, which is a harsher place than the overworld, which constantly deals damage per peter to the ship, progresively related to the mass of the ship and the distance traveled (making the presence of the shields imperative on any ships trying to use the hyperspace other than with a jumpdrive which stays in hyperspace for not enough time for the damage to be taken, this being why the jump distance is limited), thus the spiders are stuck here with no means of transportation, waiting for a ship to come to them. Alternatively, when you enter the jump, you should be able to move 1m from your location, after which your speed relative to the hyperspace would become 0. And moving in hyperspace would require you having hyperspace accelerators, the equivalent of the overworld thrusters. And the ships in the hyperspace would be linked to the overworld using the relative distance from the point their core was in at the time of entering the hyperspace (before the 1m after which the ships stopped moving), with the movement-resistance being powerfull enough to render the use of the accelerators nearly useless, unless in large quantities... maybe one accelerator would be used for moving 10 mass with the speed of 1m/s... but it requires no recharging or warming up since you already are in hyperspace, so it would be plain acceleration up to the speed provided a few words before.

Darkkon

The Harlequin Builder
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    The current jump drive uses something known as sub-warp, a technology used to emulate a highway for the matter transportation. You could call it wormhole, but it is not quite that, though you could see the similarities. The hyperspace could be one extra layer of not-rendered creatures which would begin to be rendered while you wait for the warp-engines to warm up (so you can actually move to and in the hyperspace). Besides that, maybe you could make the entities in the hyperspace not render "properly", unless you are verry close, while from the distance you would have rendered the movement of the energy (like a thermal view with everything light blue -not cyan, something whiter-, and the ship's speed would determine it's readings to be going from the default color -that light blue- to light green, yellow, orange, red than black at the top speed the hyperspace allows). Also, the difference in the space could be tweaked, but given the fact that in hyperspace there is no planet to render, but only some creatures and other ships moving there, it would be much safer -for reasons of processing power usage- to be there instead of the overworld, as it is called in Minecraft -normal dimension-, and the space there would be scalled 1:the_current_jump_distance, so the sub-warp would actually become just entering and leaving the hyperspace without allowing any creature or anything really to have time to go after you, since you would only get to travel for one meter in the hyperspace and that is not enough time for anything to happen, unless you literally get in the way of one of the few new weapons usable in hyperspace (I suggest limiting those ones to 2 (cannon, beam) + 2 slaves (same) + 2-3 effects (overdrive, push, pull). Also, when exiting the hyperspace you should be located at least 500m away from the center of a planet, in order to avoid ships getting stuck into a core. Also, you could also make the planets and stations to have readings into the hyperspace, thus explaining how the spiders came to be: they came from hyperspace, bought here by the ships they were trying to eat from, and since they were only used to travel in hyperspace and didn't evolved any way of going in or out of hyperspace, which is a harsher place than the overworld, which constantly deals damage per peter to the ship, progresively related to the mass of the ship and the distance traveled (making the presence of the shields imperative on any ships trying to use the hyperspace other than with a jumpdrive which stays in hyperspace for not enough time for the damage to be taken, this being why the jump distance is limited), thus the spiders are stuck here with no means of transportation, waiting for a ship to come to them. Alternatively, when you enter the jump, you should be able to move 1m from your location, after which your speed relative to the hyperspace would become 0. And moving in hyperspace would require you having hyperspace accelerators, the equivalent of the overworld thrusters. And the ships in the hyperspace would be linked to the overworld using the relative distance from the point their core was in at the time of entering the hyperspace (before the 1m after which the ships stopped moving), with the movement-resistance being powerfull enough to render the use of the accelerators nearly useless, unless in large quantities... maybe one accelerator would be used for moving 10 mass with the speed of 1m/s... but it requires no recharging or warming up since you already are in hyperspace, so it would be plain acceleration up to the speed provided a few words before.
    Ok, im a little confused so lets see if i can get this right.

you are suggesting that
    -Ships are constantly damaged while in hyperspace when they don't have shields
    -Denizens of Hyperspace fade into view the closer you get but are mostly invisible for the majority of the time
    -Hyperspace itself is some sort of wormhole type interior
    -Traversing further than a jumpdrive would require Hyperspace Thrusters
    -Distance in Hyperspace itself should be dependant on distance from origin (which is essentially the point anyway.)
    -Spiders are from Hyperspace but brought to 'normal' space by passing ships (still doesnt explain their legs though o_O)
    -The Hyperspace Thrusters themselves would have to take up a large fraction of a vessel to even be feasible for long haul travel

Some of these may lead to playability/balance issues, but i want to make sure i got your idea right before making any assumptions.

Reaction score
    I suggested this:
    - ships take damage every meter, according to the speed of the ship throughout that meter
    - denizens of the hyperspace fade into view when you're really close, but otherwise they are visible as a splash of color in the shape of your ship (basicly every block colored that color), color dependent of your speed
    - hyperspace is something like a wormhole, but actually a different dimension which is scaled down from the normal dimension (overworld, for the lack of a better term known by me), but the jump drive (or something similar) handles getting into and out of the hyperspace (the jump drive would chech if you have any hyperspace accelerators, and if not, you will get out of hyperspace as soon as you're completly stopped
    - hyperspace accelerators are the required in a rather big ratio to mass, in order to actually travel faster than jumping from point to point, but once the ratio is exceded, the travel would be a lot faster
    - the spiders are from hyperspace, but they dock onto the gravity of the ship when they attack it, so you actually get them with you on the overworld, but when you get into and out of the overworld, every entity which haves no core added to it (so players and asteroids, and other things which doesen't have a ship core are un-linked from the ship, unless there is a player in a core/computer/build_block). So no more of a interplanetary bus unless you spend money on things which allow the players to get into them.